Arsenic in Rice? Soylent is rice based

Oh crap, the January 2015 Consumer Reports magazine reports “Arsenic in Your Rice”. Is nothing safe? They recommenced limiting rice intake. They say if using normal rice we shouldn’t have more than just over a half cup a week, that is a WEEK. I am consuming 7 bags of Soylent a week, is that more than a half cup. And I thought after my divorce my troubles would be over. (lol)

Update: Good responses. Although half the world survives on rice it does not hurt to consider posible concerns when express by a source, here Consumer Reports Magazine. I wonder if anyone has tested Soylent speficily for arsnic. As for the water source, i only use filtered water with 0-2 ppm on my TDS meter. In just 95 days i have lost 14% weight and reduced my injectable insulin by 75%. Thank you Soylent (FYI Charlton Heston it’s not people this time).

Arsenic in rice products is not a new story; arsenic is a naturally occurring items and rice has an affinity for it. I haven’t seen the Consumer Reports article, but the major manufacturers have been sensitive to this for a few years, since some rice produce - especially brown rice syrup, a sweetener - was found to often have higher levels of arsenic than people expected.

Soylent is not “rice based.” The protein component is a rice protein, yes, but it doesn’t include any whole rice or rice syrup.

Here’s the info page from one major rice protein manufacturer on arsenic:
http://www.axiomfoods.com/faq-arsenic.php

The sun also gives you cancer and air could have traces of mustard gas in it.

It would be good to know how much Arsenic is in each bag though.

Countries like china and india eat tons of it. But they are fine arent they?. So it probably also depends on how the rice is processed and whether its cooked or not etc. Most of the arsenic in it comes from the ‘bran’ part of the rice grain not/far less from the germ.

I looked at some tables of data from the FDA on brown rice and it does have levels slightly higher than what the EPA considers safe in drinking water. To me that says brown rice is fine, because bioavailability has to be highest when dissolved in water and lower in any other form.

Any process that separates out the protein must remove some of the arsenic, or maybe all, which leads me to not worry about soylent

What we really need to watch out for is the large amounts of dihydrous monoxide that’s in Soylent! That stuff’s killer! If you inhale it, you could die.

Aren’t asian countries widely known to have extremely short lifespans due to their excessive rice intake?

Do you mean places like Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong, which have three of the top four spots in the chart of best longevity to which you linked?

These are wealthy, first-world regions with high rice intake.

It’s a mistake to compare to third-world regions which may have inadequate health care, and where excess rice is consumed because there’s a lack of other nutritious food.

Yep, I forgot to surround my post in sarcasm brackets :slight_smile:

Please do. I’m apparently empathy impaired, online.

I’m much more concerned about that H20 chemical in my water. :wink:

It’s a solvent. You certainly wouldn’t want to drink a solvent, right?

Solvents are used in cleaning chemicals. None of that, please.

Proof:

When Windex was invented in 1933 by Harry R. Drackett, it was almost 100% solvent. It was highly flammable and had to be sold in metal cans.

Solvents are so dangerous they don’t even use as much of them in WINDEX anymore!

(This one’s sarcasm :wink: )

Thanks guys for addressing this issue. Arsenic, Cadmium and other ‘big scary stuff’ isn’t something you want to acknowledge are in your food.