Article on another Soylent Knockoff - "Nosha"

Soylent is mentioned a couple of times in the article:

Also, here is their website: https://nosha.com

They appear to be going the Ambronite route and advertising all ingredients as “natural”.

There are several semi-hilarious things to love about the “Simple Comparison Table” on their website. For instance, placing a premium on 100% organic and lumping Soylent in with Ensure.

14 grams of fiber? Kale? 23 grams of pea protein? That stuff is gonna produce some serious GAS.

They also have the Superfood powders flagged as “whole foods”, but juice isn’t. If a powder can be a whole food, then surely a juice can also? I bet at least one of the brands they have pictured is a “100% fruit” drink.

Now it’s got me wondering, what’s the equivalent “veggie servings” in a bottle of 2.0, based on the nutrition. Probably one or two?

Probably 0. Whilst 2.0 obviously has the micronutrients and fibre you get in fruit/veg, part of the reason people are told to eat fruit/veg (or else eat different colours of plants in some places) is because of various phytonutrients these plants contain, which Soylent is lacking in. Research into the benefits of these phytonutrients ranges from scarce to fairly well established, but it is a critical part of why there is a specific recommendation (and why Soylent would provide 0).

Hi Zenman, thanks for your comment! We don’t have 23 grams of pea protein in a serving of Nosha (the majority of our protein comes from the seeds and veggies). It does have 14 to 16 grams of fiber, which our customers LOVE. Really helps with digestion as well as glycemic response and satiety. Keep in mind that the recommended daily allowance for fiber is about 30 grams (depending on your calorie intake), and 95% of Americans fall well short of that amount!

(Disclosure: I am a Nosha co-founder and a practicing medical doctor who has published multiple peer-reviewed health studies.)

Hi Nanciejk, the reason nutrition folks distinguish between juice and whole foods is that when fruits and veggies are pressed, all the fiber is stripped away, and some of the micronutrients attached to the fiber get left behind as well. Once a food has been stripped of its fiber, the way our bodies respond to that food changes dramatically, which is why studies have demonstrated that even 100% fruit juice can contribute to the development of diabetes, whereas consuming whole fruits does not.

As GenesisFoodSolutions states, Soylent 2.0 has zero servings of fruits and veggies. Btw, thousands of studies have been done in the last decade clarifying the importance of phytonutrients- this perspective is very well established in the nutrition field. I hope this clarifies your concerns.

(Disclosure: I am a Nosha co-founder and a practicing medical doctor who has published multiple peer-reviewed studies.)

Dr. Borja, is this you? https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nicholas_Borja

Just asking, because it contains some links to some of your research if so, and if anyone is interested. (Perhaps there are other places to look as well?)

Thank you very much for responding to the thread.

Yes you found me! (though that profile is in need of some updating). Glad you got this conversation going!