Ausoylent - Australian - Low Carb - Cheap - Feedback?

Hey all,

I have spent way too much time mucking around with ingredients for an Australian sourced version of Soylent that sticks to the original macro nutrient ratios and keeps the percentages as even and low as possible (recipes with >5000% worry me, especially with my limited nutrient knowledge).

I have exposed my version called Ausoylent 1.3.3 which seems to get as close as I can for now at a reasonable price, and with my wanted nutrient ratios.

In practice the taste is quite good, and the sources are as natural as possible, but I am keen for anyone (i.e. everyone) who knows more about DIY than I do to have a look over for anything I am not caching in terms wrong ingredient choices, bad nutrient levels etc.

Any thoughts?

The recipes:
Ausoylent 1.3.3 - Low Carb

Can you post a link to the recipe?

Ah, yes, that would help. Another reason not to do anything at 3:30am, thanks @horsfield, I have added them to the original post.

Drop the MSM. Your protein should have plenty of sulfur.

@syke Is the sulphur coming from the amino acids in the Protein (Cystine and Methionine)?

Yup. See this discussion for further details.

Like most DIY recipes you have mystery fat. Make sure all your numbers add up and are as accurate as you can.

@horsfield Why do you say mystery fat? It primarily comes from the Oats and Full Cream Milk Powder. I have gone through each ingredient to try to verify the amounts and removed those that I could find no details (or incomplete) details from. Do they look way off to you?

That’s a lot of fiber. Why add more psyllium husk to an already full-fiber recipe?

26g + 0.27g + 3g != 65g

17g + 2g != 3g

You have at least 24g of mystery fat the numbers don’t add up.

The rest of the fat comes in small quantities across other ingredients which you can see in the recipe editor @horsfield, or am I missing the point?

Good call @Syke, have removed and upped the content of milk powder very slightly to cater for the loss in fat. Bonus of bringing the cost down below $3 as well.

On a further note, what is your trusted source of nutritional info? Packaging, or Government databases?

Maybe a little. It’s not just the amount of fat that’s important but the type of fat that’s important.

The American Heart Association (is there an Australian equivalent?) recommends everyone should get less than 7% of their calories from saturated fat. The WHO recommends keeping it under 10%. Other people say it doesn’t matter.

Diets high in monounsaturated fat have been shown improve good cholesterol.

Up to approximate 5g of omega 3 has been shown to be good for you. Excessively high amounts of omega 6 without enough omega 3 have been shown to cause chronic inflammation.

@horsfield is pointing out that:

Total Fat = Saturated Fat + Mono Unsaturated Fat + Poly Unsaturated Fat.

Edit: Where do Trans Fats fit?

Further, Poly Unsaturated Fat should be at least as much as Omega-3 + Omega-6. For example, Sunflower Seeds list Omega-3 and Omega-6, but don’t list any value for Poly Unsaturated Fats.

Ah ok, I think I am getting the picture @Syke and @horsfield. I suspect the missing fat is due to poor regulation on nutritional labeling as much as anything else when it comes to DYI recipes. I’ll see if I can get more detail and adjust accordingly.

A recipe with primarily oat carbs has a lot of fiber, and gives many people gas. Consider switching part of the oats for masa.

Hmm don’t eat them! :open_mouth:

Edit: But they are apparently unsaturated.

@syke I had considered that originally but left Masa out for 2 reasons:

1. Logistics, wanted to keep purchases to 3 stores at the most
  2. Taste, wasn’t convinced the mexican edge would fit in with the profile I am after (i.e, neutral with a hint of chocolate)

In saying that, not loving the Phosphorus levels that come with high Oat content, is there another alternative other than Masa that will counter the gas issues and drop the Phosphorus levels I wonder?

Also I have made some updates to the fat profiles after doing further research on the breakdown of those that don’t have it listed on the nutritional panel. Still not all accounted for, but getting there.

I think masa goes great with a hint of chocolate. It’s a popular combination in Mexican cuisine. But I totally understand the sourcing issue. You gotta use what’s convenient.

Maltodextrin is probably the next popular carb source. It should work well if you can find it.

Thanks for the tip @Syke, I have significantly adjusted the recipe today after spending hours on end sourcing the exact nutritional values of each ingredient. What I could source from the Australian Health Survey Food Nutrient Database I did (ingredients marked with a * have their data from there), while anything else was sourced from the manufacturer (marked with ^) and supplemented with further research via the database and http://nutritiondata.self.com/.

The downside is it pushes the cost per day above $4, the up-side is I am much more confident of the nutrient components even if they are not 100%. Research also showed a lot of weight differences come down to water and ash in some cases also.

@Syke I have included Masa in this version as it helps with some other values. There are still a few too many over the 300% number I was trying to avoid as much as possible, so that is the next step I guess.

BTW anyone interested in the Australian data, I have curated a spreadsheet geared towards the DIY Soylent nutrient form here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VTD5t1pqHtEwQq4YDk6P47XG6n_JdzxxuaHA3MIoVxk/edit?usp=sharing