Backpacking with Soylent

I’ve used a piece of paper as a funnel when traveling.

How is the taste? On other threads, folks emphasize that Soylent must be chilled (to 41 degrees, I think) lest it be almost undrinkable. I have enjoyed 1.2 (except for the gas) but haven’t tried drinking it warm. It would seem to be a waste to do so unnecessarily. The prospect of backpacking with Soylent is incredibly enticing; I would just supplement it with the jerky and breakfast bars I usually subsist on when backpacking in order to get the salt and additional calories I would need. But forcing down a gaggable beverage in the forest isn’t terribly appealing. Relying on an easily tote-able but merely OK-tasting source of subsistence, on the other hand, would make Soylent worth the subscription all by itself.

It comes down to personal taste, so the best thing you could do is to mix a small amount at room temperature for yourself and see how you like it.

Or add flavouring - a small ziploc bag of cocoa comes to mind, for example.

If I really wanted it chilled (and this does depend on your locale), after mixing I would simply immerse it in a water source for a while, to cool it down. I always camp near water, and even in summer the mountain streams here tend to be quite cool.

Just some thoughts.

Soylent to me seems OK at room temp. I do add a tsp of Cayenne. To each our own, right?

I am persuaded to try Soylent on my next short trip. I’ll bring other food, too, as a backup, but try not to eat any of it. Flavored, “OK seeming” Soylent sounds fine for hiking food, and the energy/well-being benefits that it provides would be most welcome. It is also light for a one-day supply.

Wanted to give my input even though it’s a necropost >_<

I tried to live off of Soylent on my 2-3 day backpacking trip. However I thought that it was too difficult to consume enough calories with Soylent! I’d get full too quickly to get over 2k calories a day!

Sounds like a perfect way to lose weight! I’ve just gotten my backpacking gear out and am getting it ready for the season now. (I only dayhike in the winter most years.) V1.4 is a nice improvement for backpacking; getting rid of the oil bottles is a huge plus.

Soylent(v1.0) weighs about 1.0 lbs/package providing 2,000 calories. I need 3,000 calories/day or more, while on the trail. I can carry 10 lbs/8 days of backpacking. Soylent v1.0 only has 2,000 calories/lb. Could I just increase the quantity of maltodextrin, or rice protein or oat flour in Soylent to get it to be more calorie-dense? Or should I add something like whey protein? I don’t want to upset Soylent’s perfect nutritional balance.
Patrick

Whey protein should be the easiest. I find adding in some whey powder as easy as adding Soylent.

Fat is the most calorie dense, it has more than twice as many calories per pound as would carb or protein. If you want a dry fat to take on the trail it may be worth experimenting with powdered cream to see if you like it.

Or oil, or powdered oil.

Or nuts. You don’t have to limit your intake to Soylent and other powdered foods, and it can be nice to have something crunchy now and then. Supplement with some of the classic backpacking staples like trail mix and jerky.

Camping with Soylent 1.5

Valhalla Provincial Park, BC, yesterday:

:sunrise_over_mountains:

Is Soylent catching on?

I haven’t tried the powder but I know on the bottles of 2.0 it says once opened, use within 3 days. I’m not sure if that stands the same with powder when mixed with water or not. Something to consider though.

Could you measure out portions of powder in ziploc baggies for each “serving” if you are doing it for one “meal” at a time? In baggies, it would be easier to get/pour into bottles with smaller openings rather than scooping it out with a spork or creating a funnel.

For someone like me who is only drinking a bottle of 2.0 Original a day, backpacking/camping would be relatively easy for me, just the weight I would worry about. I think the longest hiking trip I’ve been on has been a 14 mile loop in Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. I’ve never backpacked and camped - just day trips/hikes.

On a side note, I smiled when I read the person’s post who was quoting the book “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson. We had to read that for my English 111 class last year. I enjoyed the book but the movie was horrible/didn’t do the book justice.

Also, Valhalla Provincial Park is now on my bucketlist to visit. OMG that place is beautiful!!!

Standard with powder and water refrigerated is three days, though some people go longer.

If you are backpacking, you wouldn’t want to carry any extra water unnecessarily, of course.