I used 1.1 for a month and was overall very happy, no problems. Maybe the occasional very mild heartburn, which I vaguely attributed to drinking it too fast without enough water.
My 1.2 arrived and I knew it didn’t have the enzymes, so I ran out and got some Beano. The same shelf in the drug store had probiotics, which I’ve lightly researched and have heard might be a good idea when consuming soylent daily. But to be honest I don’t think I’ve done enough research on it to really rationalize daily use, I just wanted to try it out out. So I picked up a bottle of Insync.
I took a single dose (1 pill) of the Insync, a dose (2 pills) of Beano, and 32oz / 1000 calories of Soylent (which was typical use, that day I had only had breakfast, was pretty sedentary, and it was evening).
WARNING — WHAT FOLLOWS IS A LOT OF GASTROINTESTINAL DETAIL
All was quiet on the GI front… for a while. After some time, I can’t remember how long, I started to feel queasy. And it got worse and worse. To make a long story short, I spent the whole night feeling queasy, having diarrhea, and being on the verge of vomiting, although I never did. At one point I attempted to induce vomiting. I failed, but interestingly the contraction of all the muscles involved seemed to kickstart some process. I immediately started to feel better.
The whole experience was essentially identical to the experience of getting food poisoning. So what I concluded was that the probiotic introduced too much variety of and/or too many bacteria at once.
Then I left for Thanksgiving break and didn’t have any soylent for a week. I returned, fully recovered, and mixed up some soylent, fully confident that the probiotic was the problem. I had 16oz of soylent and 2 beano pills…
…and the same thing happened. This time I tried to have some pepto bismol. When it was on the way down it didn’t seem relieving, as it usually does in other situations. It seemed like my body didn’t want it. Sure enough, about 20 minutes after taking it, I vomited. I felt significantly better after vomiting (although it seemed like pretty much only the pepto bismol and some water came up).
So here are the explanations I can think of:
- i am allergic to beano or otherwise have adverse reaction to it
- i am allergic to soylent 1.2 (algae?)
- i got a bad batch of soylent and simply had food poisoning
- my body has changed since i last had soylent and has become allergic to soylent in general
1 seems mostly likely. Tomorrow I’m going to drink 4oz or so of Soylent by itself and see how it goes.
Anyone else have similar experiences? Anyone have problems with Beano? Anyone have other theories?