Baobab powder for smoothness?

In a recent announcement, the Australian keto product PrimalKind brags it is adding Baobab powder to make the mix smoother.

I had heard of (and actually seen) Baobab trees, but never heard of the uses of the fruit. But Wikipedia confirms,

The powdery white interior may be used as a “thickener in jams and gravies, a sweetener for fruit drinks, or a tangy flavor addition to hot sauces”

I searched the DIY recipe page on baobab and got no hits. How have our diligent DIY wizards not heard of this wonderful smoother? It is available on Amazon…

It’s not a smoother, it’s a thickener, and a pricey one at that. Here’s a cheaper version than you linked, it’s still 85¢/serving, which is a pretty expensive ingredient for DIY. You can do the same thing much, much cheaper. This xanthan gum for example only adds 2¢ to my recipe, and looking at Amazon today the price is lower than when I calculated my costs.

Baobab also adds 3 net carbs per serving, not a lot, but if you’re doing a keto DIY it’s best to avoid what you can. They’re claiming it smoothes their recipe somewhat and allows them to remove coconut flour, which is gritty, but it’s the removal of the coconut that smoothed the mix, not the addition of baobab (Why is their new and improved smooth mix especially for women? Are we fellas not worthy of a smoother soylent?). There are other cheaper ways to do the same thing. I haven’t used coconut flour in a long time, still have several pounds in the cupboard if anyone wants it.

The only reason to use baobab is if it has something else you’re after, but it’s going to cost you.

Interesting comment, thanks.

The reason Primalkind is using baobab instead of cheaper options, like xanthan gum, is because it is Paleo-friendly (or at least, I suspect that is why). Primalkind is a Paleo-friendly ketogenic soylent, and unfortunately, xanthan gum isn’t paleo.

It’s worth bearing in mind that whilst the removal of coconut flour will reduce grit due to reducing the amount of insoluble fibre as kennufs says, some of the other ingredients in Primalkind, such as macadamia nuts - the largest ingredient by mass - do still contain large amounts of insoluble fibre. As such, there will be particulate matter in the shakes, and if no thickener is included, this has a tendency to sink to the bottom of a shake, making the top very smooth indeed (almost like water in terms of consistency) whilst the bottom will be fairly gritty and far less pleasant. By adding a thickener (in the right quantity of course), the particulate matter in the shake will be evenly dispersed throughout the whole drink. Whilst this may sound like you can taste bits in every mouthful, from my experience with thickeners and insoluble fibre in DIY, what actually seems to happen is every mouthful becomes a little thicker but you very rarely feel large particles in the liquid - it basically takes on the consistency more of a slightly thick milkshake, and this thicker consistency masks any particulate matter.

Now I haven’t personally tried Primalkind, but my suspicion is that they’ve added the right amount of thickener to get rid of the feel of these particles when drinking a shake, and as such their statement that it has made the mix smoother could be considered true even after taking account of the decreased insoluble fibre via the removal of coconut flour.

However, if you are intending to DIY and have no real desire to follow a Paleo-friendly diet, kennufs is right that xanthan gum would be a better option for you. Be aware that due to the way it is made, it can sometimes contain small amounts of gluten, corn or soy (part of the production process involves a medium that contains either wheat, corn or soy) so if you are allergic to any of these, it may be better to pick a different thickener.

You can also buy gluten free xanthan gum.

really interesting, thank you! But can you explain in what sense xanthan gum “is not paleo”? Is it merely because it is processed, not something Lurg the Primeval could have picked up on the savanna?

Edit: xanthan gum production for anyone who like me, didn’t know.

Hi davecortesi, thanks for the plug.

I believe you’re talking about our comment “Adding Organic Baobab Powder to help make our blends even smoother”?

To help explain this comment further, we have now added organic baobab powder, which has enabled us to reduce the amount of organic coconut flour, and the total result of this, makes our new blends even smoother. So instead of writing a long comment like this, we abbreviated the comment, however now I see how this comment can be misinterpreted.

To clarify, we have added organic baobab to all our new (Him & Her) blends.

Our PrimalKind For Her (version 1.2 blends) contained almost twice the amount of coconut flour, compared to our PrimalKind For Him (version 1.2 blends). Which made our PrimalKind For Her (version 1.2 blends) a little grittier.

Now we’ve added organic baobab powder, our new PrimalKind For Her (version 1.3 blends) contain around the same amount of coconut flour as our PrimalKind For Him (version 1.3 blends).

Why Organic Baobab Powder?

1. It is natural and has been used for centuries by indigenous people for its extraordinary high levels of essential nutrients. Baobab fruit dries naturally on the tree and the fruit pulp is simply crushed and sieved to produce Baobab powder, maintaining its delicious raw flavour and natural nutrient goodness.
  2. High in Fibre: containing 50% fibre (67% soluble fibre and 33% insoluble fibre) which helps digestive health by systematically detoxifying and cleansing toxins throughout the liver and digestive tract. It’s also a natural prebiotic for promoting gut health.
  3. Rich in Vitamin C: an essential vitamin and antioxidant, which helps immune functionality, Iron absorption, increase white blood cell count, aids metabolism and energy release, supports collagen formation which helps improve joint and skin elasticity.
  4. High in essential Minerals: Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Iron, and Copper, which helps create electrolyte balance, improve circulation, prevent muscle cramping, increase bone strength, aids metabolism, the production of haemoglobin, nutrient absorption, and is naturally alkalising to help balance the body’s pH levels.
  5. Excellent source of Antioxidants: Baobab fruit contains one of the highest levels of antioxidants, more than goji berries, pomegranates and blueberries. Rich in flavonoid polyphenols: Kaempferol and Quercetin, considered one of the most abundant antioxidants in the human diet, they are anti-viral, anti-microbial, anti-allergic, and anti-inflammatory, essential for protecting, repairing and preventing cells from free radical damage, and for supporting longevity and anti-aging benefits.

These health benefits are important to me & I personally think it’s worth the extra cost.
I’m essentially making the ultimate product for myself & my wife to use, & I believe health is more important than the cost.

However if you just want a simple fibre solution & cost is you driving factor, than I would recommend Gum Arabic, as it’s a much more natural solution & doesn’t cause symptoms like Xanthan Gum.

While Xanthan Gum is considered safe for human consumption, it is essentially a manufactured ingredient and can cause issues when consumed in larger quantities, like being a laxative, and it can cause issues for individuals with digestive problems. And I would prefer to avoid that.

Anyway I hope this helps clarify the comment, our reasoning, however please let us know if you like any further information, I’m all for DIY, and optimising nutrition, so I’m happy to help where possible. Cheers.

The nice thing about xanthan gum is that a little bit goes a long way – it doesn’t take much to really thicken up your soylent. For example, I’m using 0.8 g in an 84 g mix to which I add 700 mL of water. This means that I’ve never gotten to the point where I’m using enough xanthan gum to worry about any laxative properties. I’m following a keto (non paleo) diet, and when I cook xanthan gum has also replaced corn starch as my thickener of choice. Unlike corn starch, it thickens even in cold liquids, which makes it pretty ideal for soylent :slight_smile: