Beer, coffee, tea, and soda as ingredients

All jokes aside, I’ve often thought of beer as its own food group. My thought is that if I drink 3 or 4 beers on average a week, I should consider adjusting my soylent recipe for the additional calories and other nutrients the beer provides.

I’d think people might want to do something similar for coffee, green tea, black tea, soda, and some other drinks people consume on a regular basis.

The items that are required to be measured on the label of a food product make those levels easy to determine. I’m thinking more about vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial stuff that may be present but not on the label. Has anyone found anything on the nutritional composition of any of the type of drinks that are commonly consumed?

I’ve been considering this too. I’m a barista, and drink a lot of lattes on the job, so I’ve been thinking about how I’m going to compensate for that.

Espresso is basically high in magnesium and contains small amounts of potassium and niacin, but not much else. Magnesium is a really difficult thing to overdose on, and there isn’t enough potassium or niacin to really merit worrying about it. So coffee, at least, shouldn’t be a concern. I’m mostly concerned about counteracting the things in the milk, which at this point I intend to do by just figuring out how many calories I take in from it and reducing my soylent intake accordingly.

I’ve been pondering this too. One of the neat aspects of a soylent diet is that my incoming calories and nutrients can be quantified and tracked semi-validly. I make my living quantifying things, it comes naturally. I’m not planning a per meal tracking because that’s nonsense but a rolling average (adding to database as packets are consumed) makes eminent sense.

Now, I have had two concerns about going pure Soylent. One is the common one of my coffee intake. Coffee is one of the few things that gives me actual pleasure and I am not giving that up. The only thing I would track calories wise is the sugar (two packets per large cup) but that is easy to get data on. The dollop of cream I’m just going to live with. :slight_smile:

The other is that I suspect that, as a post-menopausal woman, I might have a larger need for calcium than the healthy young men that seem to be the focus of development. I can see myself using skim milk as the base rather than water. Again, lots of data on the package and online about what this means. Enter litres into database as they are used.

So no problem.

But I plan on giving myself a free pass for anything consumed socially. I’m practically a hermit and the social benefits would outweigh the potential calories and the messing up of my database. Besides it would probably mean missed Soylent meals. Hmmm… Maybe a dummy variable.

This is going to be fun!

Eve

I just checked, and beer is included in the USDA database on the DIY site. However, if you choose a specific brand, the database only lists minerals and no vitamins, but the generic entries for beer include a greater number of nutrients.

Adjusting for existing diet content isn’t a bad idea, but you could be surprised when you actually crunch the numbers. The common “beer is like liquid bread, lots of calories. (That’s why people get a beer gut!)” trivia fact is generally overstated; it’s the bar food that has lots of calories, not the beer itself :wink: