Best prep at home and on the go

I have a few questions about the best preparation for Soylent 1.0. I haven’t received mine yet, but I want to be prepared when I get it.

For those of you with Soylent,

1. I assume stirring isn’t enough. How do shaker bottles fare? (Mainly for when traveling)
  2. Do you feel blending is necessary at all?
  3. Do you feel that prepared Soylent needs to sit overnight to be drinkable? Even if the water itself is already chilled?
  4. Do you fill the pitcher to the very top with water? Or, do you do equal scoops of powder and water? Which do you prefer?
  5. In what order do you add your ingredients (water, powder, oil)?

I think that’s all for now. Any other insight would be great as well.

Don’t have mine yet, but i’ll reiterate what i’ve seen.

Shaking in a bottle (even without a blender ball) is enough to mix the Soylent thoroughly. The pitcher they ship with your order will do nicely.

Some people have said that blending can alter the texture. I think @vanclute said that blending it made the texture worse.

Letting it sit overnight is generally recommended for proper texture. You can drink it without letting it “soak”, but it may be a little gritty.[quote=“latem, post:1, topic:13424”]
Do you fill the pitcher to the very top with water? Or, do you do equal scoops of powder and water? Which do you prefer?
[/quote]
Filling the pitcher to the very top is the generally liked way. This is equal to 2 scoops soylent and 3 scoops of water. It all depends on how thick you like it. The 1:1 scoop ratio will make it much thicker.

Most people fill it in that order, then shake. Adding the oil directly on top of the powder can cause it to clump and not mix as well.

For travel, I just use my Contigo insulated bottle, give it a quick shake, and that’s all that is needed. I’ve never tried mixing any up on the go though, I would just use the provided pitcher, but a smaller bottle will work fine too. The bigger issue is letting it sit to soak everything up well, and get cold.

[quote=“latem, post:1, topic:13424”]Do you feel blending is necessary at all?
[/quote]

If you mean with a blender, I would say not at all. Someone else (don’t recall who exactly) said that actually messed things up.

[quote=“latem, post:1, topic:13424”]Do you feel that prepared Soylent needs to sit overnight to be drinkable? Even if the water itself is already chilled?
[/quote]

My first batch was made with a pitcher that had been sitting overnight with some water in it, so was very cold and had ice in it. The problem I found was that the powder tended to stick to the ice, and really didn’t disperse very well. It also didn’t get cold really at all, so IMO it needs to sit at least maybe 3 to 4 hours both for absorption as well as getting cold.

Ice added to a container works for a while, but obviously it won’t stay all that cold if it’s not insulated.

[quote=“latem, post:1, topic:13424”]Do you fill the pitcher to the very top with water? Or, do you do equal scoops of powder and water? Which do you prefer?
[/quote]

I fill the pitcher to just below the green ring. I also tried making it at the 1:1 suggested ratio and we didn’t care for it nearly as much. We definitely prefer it slightly thinner.

[quote=“latem, post:1, topic:13424”]In what order do you add your ingredients (water, powder, oil)?
[/quote]

My current method is:

1. Add ~2 inches water to pitcher
  2. Add 1 pouch Soylent
  3. Shake shake shake, move your body
  4. Add oil
  5. Add remainder of water
  6. Repeat step 3
  7. Put in fridge at least several hours

When about to serve, give it another good shake since the oil can separate if it’s sat a while.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the replies. Can’t wait for it to get here!

I blended my first bag. It didn’t mess up the flavor, but the texture wasn’t all that great. It was also really frothy (think beer but with way too much head) and so the first few sips of every glass was essentially Soylent flavored foam. Also, the powder stuck to the blender blades which i then had to scrape clean with a spoon to add it back into the Soylent. Honestly, preparing it the way @vanclute mentioned above is the way I’ve been doing it too since bag #2 and its turned out great as long as you let it sit for a bit (overnight is best, but I’ve found it pretty good after an hour or two). Plus then you don’t have to wash a blender…

Didn’t @JulioMiles say he preferred using a blender? Or did I imagine that?

I get the sense that all of this is personal preference (except “let it sit,” and “drink it cold,” which seem to be universal).

Yep I expect over time we’ll find there are as many ways of preparing/consuming Soylent as there are users! =D @krehem was responsible for me starting to add a couple inches of water at the start consistently. It definitely helped IMO.