Better transparency on "shelf life"

One of the best reasons to own Soylent is it’s usefulness for possible future emergencies. Unfortunately, the “shelf life” stamps are lousy. By what proportion does Soylent decrease in nutritional value per year? …btw, If the Soylent product were radiated carefully, the product could never “spoil”.

<3 SOYLENT

The taste of 1.4 has grown on me and I love it now. It’s like a raw egg blended in water flour and salt. Well done!

Personally I am just using up our Soylent always starting from the oldest. We have a sizable cache of it now (stocking up on 1.3 while we wait for 1.5 to happen) so I figure as long as we’re just always using up the oldest first, our “emergency stash” will just always keep getting refreshed and we’ll never have a problem with the age of it.

I’m also interested in the refrigeration life. Not so much when it expires, but will the nutrients break down at all even within the 48 hour limit.

Could you expand on the radiated comment? That sounds interesting!

I believe that radiation could be used to make sure that all microorganisms in a closed system are dead; then if it is kept sealed, it should keep virtually forever. I don’t know anything about possible hazards or expense of such an operation.

It’s not just microorganisms. The oils in Soylent are particularly susceptible to going rancid.

According to the article, rancidification can be decreased by the addition of antioxidants and/or storage in cool, dark places. (Like a refrigerator.)

Anti oxidants such as… Vitamin C and E :smile:

I dont think radiation can prevent oils from going rancid, if thats what you meant.

Personally i feel they should not radiate it, if current methods are sufficient for maintaining shelf life.