Big Change in Soylent 1.0 Taste

So finished week one and started on week two; but something VERY odd has happened. The first batch of Soylent 1.0 week two (different week box) tastes MUCH MUCH sweeter.

Honestly, its hard to bare. I’m hoping its either a differently mixed day or week because if it’s my sense of taste, it makes it very hard to drink.

Has anyone else experienced variance in flavor from week to week or pouch to pouch?

–David

We’re now on reorder #2 and any changes I have attributed to my own getting use to Soylent, and they’ve been for the better. If this is the first pouch that’s been this way, I wonder if something is just different somehow in the mix, though I can’t imagine what.

Be interesting to hear how your next bath comes out…

It is sweeter to me now than when I first started, with a bit of a sweet aftertaste, I like it this way. Though some days it has seemed blander than others, but I’ve just been thinking it’s something with me, not the product.

I recall reading an article some time ago about how the brain attributes sweetness a calorie amount (i.e. the sweeter a food is the more calories) and how 0 calorie sweeteners messed with how our brain associated calories to sweetness. In the same article they listed a study in which people who where missing a nutrient found sources of said nutrient tasted better.

Its possible that it tastes better to you now than when you started because your brain decided it likes what its getting. I haven’t read the article for some time but it has something to do with how it affects the reward center of our brains.

It’s hard to imagine that they could have all the ingredients mixed in perfect proportions in every bag they pack. I bet there are some variations in a every bag to come degree, but if those variations are with the sucralose, it’s going to be the most noticeable.

I’ve only consumed 4 bags worth, but they’ve come from probably 3 different boxes because I’ve been giving so much away to family, friends, and co-workers. The only thing I’ve noticed is that it’s more delicious now than when I started and seems less gritty overall. I attributed both of these changes to just “getting used to it”.

The copacker that actually makes the Soylent (RFI) has been doing what they do for quite some time. I think the chances that you got a box of incorrectly mixed Soylent are probably slim to none. If you have other boxes, I guess you could crack one open and try a bag to see if it’s any different.

Does anyone with any culinary experience know how to make it less sweet, short of diluting it with more water? I’d actually like to know for myself too, because I’d love to try making some Soylent pasta but I wouldn’t want it to be sweet.

A strange experience indeed. Within a single month of packaging having an entirely different flavor from one week to the next. Can you give us more information about the taste? Was it sweet like sugar or muted like bread?

There are a few ways to inhibit sweetness. Google “too much sugar in recipe” for random ideas. There is also a product specifically designed for this: http://www.modernistpantry.com/super-envision.html

No idea if it actually works.

I’ve found that Soylent smells sweeter than it tastes. I don’t notice a lot of sweetness in the taste the the smell puts me off sometimes. I’ve started adding about 5 Tbsp. of Special Dark Cocoa Powder and that seems to take the edge off of the sweetness.

Umm… I hope the ingredient mix is very consistent within a very small margin of error, because that’s pretty much what the customer is paying for. I’ve dabbled in all sorts of commercially available nutrition powder mixes over the years, and never once recall one box/batch/whatever being “much different” in taste, consistency, or any other characteristic.

Update:

It appears it was a temporary change in my taste profile… Very odd. Could over sweetness be an indication that I need sodium/have low sodium levels?

–David

Yeah I’d definitely suggest it’s getting used to the taste or the body adapting. On my second day of Soylent today I find it SIGNIFICANTLY more tasty, like, yesterday I wasn’t sure I wasn’t going to finish a week let alone 3 months worth but now I am completely confident it’s going to be easy.

This caught my attention.

There should be some relatively rudimentary tasks that we can perform to a small sample of each pouch to verify some degree of consistency. The simplest test in my mind is to DIY a calorimeter. This should allow one to compare the calories-per-unit from one pouch to the next. I assume this should show any significant differences in the proportion of powders within the mix.

I would assume variations in calories to be small as a majority of the powder is 2? ingredients

This is true. A better test could be devised but I couldn’t think up a simple one. If the caloric test did yield significant variation from pouch to pouch it would be very alarming since any statistical deviation there would indicated a large issue with blending.