Big Problem with Soylent

Soylent with oil has an extremely low amount of cholesterol. Cholesterol is THE building block of testosterone. Unless you want to have the testosterone of a 2 year old, you better supplement while on Soylent.

Perhaps I should have reworded this. It seems rude. I want Soylent to be awesome. I’m a big fan. The only way I know how is to try to shoot holes in it and fix the holes. :smile:

I wonder what the T levels of those running it for a long while are coming back at?

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/DRI_Energy/energy_full_report.pdf

“Dietary reference intakes for energy, carbohydrate, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol,
protein, and amino acids / Panel on Macronutrients, Panel on the Definition of Dietary
Fiber, Subcommittee on Upper Reference Levels of Nutrients, Subcommittee on
Interpretation and Uses of Dietary Reference Intakes, and the Standing Committee on the
Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes, Food and Nutrition Board.”

pg 542:

Therefore, neither an Adequate Intake nor a Recommended
Dietary Allowance is set for cholesterol.

A Tolerable Upper Intake Level is not set for cholesterol
because any incremental increase in cholesterol intake increases
CHD risk.

Reading further, the 300mg number seems to be a median dietary intake interpreted as a “safe” level of consumption. Not a requirement, nor an upper limit.

Perhaps it’s best to leave out the cholesterol since it’s so readily available elsewhere and can be so problematic for many.

I just want to know one thing. Is this your picture in the avatar? If so and you look like that eating mostly soylent…I’m convinced. :slight_smile:

Dietary intake of cholesterol has little to no influence on serum cholesterol in the bloodstream. Our liver’s endogenously produce sufficient cholesterol for all endocrine hormonal needs.

This is not true. Eating eggs and bacon will definitely raise your cholesterol. Otherwise, they wouldn’t come with such a stern warning. :slight_smile: I’m not sure if our liver’s produce enough cholesterol but that may be accurate.

Studies show that, at least for some forms of cholesterol, only about 15% of the population responds to an increased cholesterol intake with increased blood cholesterol. If your family has history of high cholesterol, youre probably in that group.

Are you certain it’s not the saturated fat in bacon and eggs that cause the increase in cholesterol?

When I was on Atkins, my cholesterol went down. I was eating lots of bacon and eggs.

You are absolutely correct when you say that cholesterol is an essential ingredient in human health. However, because it is so important our bodies create it on their own. We don’t actually have to consume cholesterol.

I think we covered this a while back…

That post’s links show how many of the “facts” being so generously offered in this thread are way off the actual study results.

For those of you too lazy to read the post: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/

Its an old post but i found it interesting. Which kind of cholesterol is a building block of testosterone? HDL,LDL OR VLDL or all kinds?

You don’t get cholesterol by eating cholesterol.