Biodegradable Bags for Powder Option

Ran across this today:

"Avani’s bags are made from cassava root starch and other natural resins, using no petroleum products. They biodegrade fully within 3 to 6 months, depending on soil conditions, converting naturally into carbon dioxide and biomass, with no toxic residue. This process can be hurried by dissolving in hot water (see video), softening in cold water, and burning to leave a small amount of ash.

The bags are safe for insects and animals to eat, both terrestrial and marine, and apparently they’re tasty, too, as seen in this video of crayfish and chickens fighting over the edible bags. When dissolved in hot water, Avani claims they’re even safe for humans to drink."

Be pretty cool if suitable for powder so all these mylar bags don’t end up in landfills. No one near me, not even close to me, recycles mylar so I have boxes and boxes of empty bags in my garage still.

this would be a life changing idea. just throw the whole bag in the blender, no powder flying everywhere during dump sessions. I do know there seems to be regulations on food packaging where there has to be a “barrier” to protect food from outside contaminants. I forget the exact name of the packaging type, maybe somebody else can help me out here. unfortunately I dont think this type of edible plastic qualifies as a proper barrier.

I fell in love with this idea though when I was listening to “mm food” by MF Doom many years ago, and there was some dialogue samples of people talking about edible wrappers for meats. it was meant to be SUPER TRIPPY BRO at the time (like 2004) and was a really cool idea, but somehow it must have never really caught on.

I remember when I was a kid there was some sort of candy that had (assuming here) what was likely a rice paper wrapper you could eat which was as a 5 year old the coolest thing ever.

I wonder if they could put these edible bags inside one non-edible/biodegradable “normal” plastic bag or wrap them like tea bags in aluminum “bags”

I’d be happy if I could just throw the bags in the compost bin.

SunChips discontinued their compostable bags because they were very loud. A problem when you’re trying to eat chips quietly, not so much if you’re just opening and dumping a bag.

A couple months back Pulve – a meal-replacement company from the Netherlands, which is also home to Joylent and Queal and about eight others – announced their 2.0 products and among other features of their new 2.0 formula, their new powder packets are biodegradable:

This type of Tiplock pouch is the first of its kind to be completely 100% biodegradable. Made from cellulose and vegetal oil. … We wanted to simultaneously increase convenience for our customers while decreasing the total amount of plastics we use. It wasn’t an easy job to say the least.

Part of me thinks that if Pulve or another Soylent-like product was on store shelves and was in bio-degradable packaging Soylent would be finished. I know if I saw Pulve on a shelf (or something like it, nutritionally complete) I’d buy it without hesitation.

[quote=“muhpinealglands, post:2, topic:26864”]just throw the whole bag in the blender[/quote]That’s just nasty. You’d just be trading taking the powder out of the bag for cleaning the bag.

lol assuming they were kept clean during processing and shipping I wouldn’t really care. same as eating produce, I guess

I remember those! It was a square of candy, with an edible rice-paper wrapper over it. The ones I got had a really thin cellophane wrapper over that. The designs on the box made me think they were from China, but who knows.

Yes! That sounds like the same ones for sure. It’d be fun to find them again.

So it wont be suitable for powder then, will it? What if some insects start eating the bags and then get through into the powder in the bag, during storage and/or transportation.

maybe ‘tetrapaks’ can be used instead. I think they too are biodegradable. Heck i think tetrapaks can also be used for the liguid…soylent 2.0. In some developing countries ‘milk’ is sold in tetrapaks. If something like milk can survive in tertrapaks while being transported on bumpy roads and hotter weather in those countries, then i think soylent can survive in those, in the states. I wonder, why isnt RF using them? Is it because of the likelihood of soylent catching mold? let me tag @Conor, see if what he has to say.

Regular milk cartons are compostable (if you cut out the plastic spout, if there is one–I don’t know why they put those in them since they work fine without).

Not Tetra Paks. “The “Aseptic” Tetra Paks used for soups, juices and more on the shelf contain alternating layers of paperboard, polyethylene plastic, and aluminum foil . . . these have to be trashed. There is no green hope for these overzealous fusions.”

They’re a step totally in the wrong direction, which I assume is why they’re not used for Soylent.