Blood test results. 100% Soylent 2.0 for 1 year

A little background. 69 years old, 5’9", 160 lbs. Have coronary heart disease, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, anxiety disorder, and mild emphysema. All conditions are monitored and are under control. Walk/jog 2 miles/day.

After a year on 2.0 my blood test results were all within the normal ranges except for sodium and chlorine. Doctor asked about water intake and it was determined I drank way too much water (100+ ounces/day including 4 bottles of 2.0). I reduced my intake to 4 bottles of 2.0/day and ~24oz. water/day and followup test showed sodium and chlorine levels normal. Cholesterol levels were 40HDL and 61LDL.

To be honest I will have a Clif Bar 2-3 times a week when I am not near my Soylent. I have also on 5 occasions had a regular dinner when out with friends. That seemed to cause some discomfort digestively I suppose because my gut was not accustomed to “food”.

I might add that my kidney function improved 25% from my last tests. I can see no connection to Soylent there.

I also seem to have more energy but at 69 years old little changes can seem exaggerated…

Congratulations! I am also on a 80%+ Soylent diet for 24 months and my blood tests came back as normal too! Except for a vitamin D deficiency.

Same here. I’ve been on DIY since I heard of Soylent (original backer). I’ve been on Soylent 90’ish% since 2.0 and 1.6. My blood work came back perfect except for vitamin D. No shock there. I don’t get much sun. :slight_smile:

see my vit. D solution here (go to a tanning bed):

Whoa, wait, drank TOO MUCH WATER? There’s a level of water consumption that is TOO MUCH?

Ugh… My 1 year mark is coming up in January, and I planned to have the same talk with my doctor.

Congrats on the good results!

Google “low blood sodium and chlorine”. There are many causes with one of them being over-hydration. In my case, that was the answer.

It’s great to hear of your positive experience following your pretty darn diligent use of Soylent.

As a physician, when I encounter a low sodium reading, I like to make sure that I rule out other causes prior to concluding that it is related to drinking too much water. While the latter is a plausible cause, healthy kidneys do a fantastic job at balancing sodium levels. I think that it is important to rule out conditions such as kidney disease, liver issues, other metabolic conditions and infections. Some medications also upset proper sodium balance and can make one prone to this.

Your primary care provider can be a terrific partner in your journey to seeking better health.

I look forward to hearing more testimonies!

I purposely drank more water than normal for 4 days before my blood test to flush my kidneys. I overdid it. My blood test one year ago showed an EFGR of 51. This year it is at 70. All other functions are normal.

There is a condition called hyponatremia, which just means your body doesn’t have enough sodium. It can be a problem for hikers/exercisers in high-altitude, hot climates, where they may drink a lot of water to replace fluids lost through sweating. Sodium/salt comes out of the body when sweating, and if one sweats a lot, and drinks enough water to replace the lost fluid, sodium levels can get too low through loss and dilution. If sodium levels get realy, really low, it can go from mild to very serious symptoms.

This means a person who sweats a lot while hiking/exercising for long periods of time may need to eat something with sodium to replace sodium lost through sweating. Maybe junk food can be good for you under certain circumstances! :wink:

If ParadoxMD (see above) is a doctor, maybe they can provide more info on the condition.

That’s why sports drinks contain salt (AFAIK).

That’s a pretty good eGFR that you have now! Keep up the great work.

Hi GeorgeP,

Hyponatremia is a condition that, as you correctly identified, is associated with an abnormally low concentration of sodium in the blood.

Symptoms may include:

1. nausea / vomiting,
  2. headache / confusion;
  3. feeling weak / tired;
  4. feeling restless / irritable;
  5. muscle weakness / cramps; and
  6. seizures or fainting spells.

There are many causes of hyponatremia. In general, the main causes are related to:

1. underlying medical conditions (heart, liver, kidney and lung disease),
  2. some medications (especially diuretics);
  3. drinking too much water (often seen in athletes during intense exercise);
  4. blood loss;
  5. long-lasting severe vomiting and diarrhea; and
  6. poor diet.

When investigating the cause of hyponatremia, it is important to get an accurate medical history that may help to point out possible causes. Investigations may include additional blood work and measurement of urinary sodium. Generally speaking, reversible causes are sought out, culprit medications may be temporarily held and sodium replenishment through oral fluid restriction, salt supplementation or very carefully calculated intravenous sodium chloride infusions are initiated. The latter should never be initiated without proper medical supervision as rapid sodium replenishment can have serious consequences if not done carefully.

This information is provided for background information only.

That is an awesome improvement. Can you share the underlying cause of your kidney disease. I am a nephrology nurse and have been very interested in the interplay of Soylent and kidney disease.

I can’t tell you for sure, but I believe that 25 years of heavy alcohol and drug use might have been a contributing factor. I’ve been clean for 29 years and my EGFR has stayed in the 60s’ the majority of those years. Regretfully I have no idea of what my EGFR numbers were prior to or during my using days.

Thanks for sharing. Your high blood pressure and heart disease are likely contributing factors and yes they could be a result of past history. I’m glad you are taking care of yourself now. :wink: