Blood work or tests?

Do we have any baseline and followup tests that have been done on anyone using soylent or is it just the single bloodtest rob had done in march?

I have my blood test posted from the first of June. And I have a big red bandage on my arm from getting my blood drawn today.

Hopefully I should have my results back sometime next week, and I will be sure to post them. I am actually pretty nervous about it, as it could make or break my Soylent experiment.

Some (Harvey’s) here:
(http://discourse.soylent.me/t/types-of-blood-testing-and-results/3088

Some (mine) here:
(http://discourse.soylent.me/t/robs-bloodwork/3689/5

I’m making the appointment for followup tests tomorrow.

It takes time to accumulate good data for this sort of thing. People these days are so impatient, they expect everything right this instant. The soylent phenomenon has moved awfully fast so it’s no surprise there’s a data gap. Soon the idly curious will move on to something else and it will be time for some backing up and filling in. Once SC’s deliveries begin there will then be a much broader potential data pool of many people all using the same formula (DIYers hardly make a good group statistically speaking as there are so many variables).

@HarveyDesu Ken, don’t be nervous and don’t take your own bloodwork too seriously – after all, you’ve been doing a lot of chopping and changing, and it’s still early in the game. If there’s something dramatically obvious, sure, then try to correct whatever looks to be lacking. Just don’t sweat the small stuff! How often have you had your blood work done before you began your soylent experiment? Enough to have a good reiable baseline for comparison – or not?

Well given the similarities between formulas I would expect any “major bugs” to show up rather quickly. Some things maybe you wouldn’t see for a year or more. What happened to all the pilot soylent subjects who were supposed to get tested?

HIPAA happened. In the US, Federal law limits the way a third party can distribute medical information.

They would all need to voluntarily sign waivers etc. and provide the info to the soylent mavens.
Who would then have to transcribe it into a database, anonymize, and do statistical analysis.
There is probably insufficient/inadequate data to do that with.

Or they can just post it online themselves.

My blood tests are fairly generic, so it hasn’t changed much throughout the years. Also I am unsure of the security / health implications of posting my blood tests. The only thing I could think of is someone could devise precise doses of something to poison me in a way that it looks natural. While I do have a lot of mortal enemies, I’m pretty sure they would prefer to shoot me in broad daylight in front of 50 witnesses, a cop, a judge, and then post the video on YouTube.

You should read the HIPAA law for yourself - every hospital has a copy that they give out if you ask and often if you don’t. It’s basically to protect you, but it does make it hard for people to share your info without extreme permission.

Sorry, I meant that the people that had their blood taken could post it themselves. Rather than the Soylent people posting it.

I got that, @HarveyDesu - there were questions about where the collected data from the Soylent team was, and I was replying to that context. I agree that if one chooses to put one’s own data into public view, it’s generally seen as a voluntary thing. However, collecting data from alpha or beta testers would put the team into a more litigation-rich environment :wink:

I am going to be trying Soylent soon. Prior to doing so though I intend to have a blood test, another a week after, and then one blood test every two weeks for a year or two. I will publish all of my results on line as (and if, as I am still working on putting my money where my mouth is) I do this.

A neat feature of MakeSoylent may be to publish data like this, associated to recipes and individuals. A recipe could then be given a general profile on how it effects the consumer based upon the averages of other users. This would be very fuzzy though. Maybe users could also add there physical activity levels, or type of physical activity to help with calculating these per recipe metrics.