Bottle existing 1.5 like 2.0?

I have several boxes of Soylent 1.5, stopped drinking as the process of creating the batches got to be annoyingly time consuming (to slightly flavor it, ensure no clumps, evenly mixed, etc). I always forget to make it at night, so then I’d end up having to make it early in the morning. If I had to get straight to work, then I was screwed re; getting soylent made. Then you have to wait for it to chill, which is a solid several hours… So… time consuming in that way.

My wife and I recently tried 2.0, and we like it. But rather than ordering more 2.0 at the moment, I’d like to get through our stash of 1.5.

The longest I’ve ever dared to let a 1.5 batch sit (having been prepared in the fridge), and still drink it, was 3-4 days. That’s about the point that it tends to start separating in the container, and builds up gas, iirc.

Is it possible to prepare 1.5 multiple days in advance (and repurpose our 2.0 bottles to then have controlled serving sizes available), without it going bad, exploding the container it’s in, etc? Is there an additive I can add to my 1.5 batch to make it more stable, similar to 2.0?

Thanks

The bottles build up gas?

I currently make Soylent v1.x in a pitcher but only drink it for breakfast which makes it last for 4 days. I haven’t noticed any real changes except for the separation you mentioned (I just shake it again). However. the last batch I made with a mix of almond milk and water (about 30%/70% almond milk to water) just because I needed to use up the almond milk and it did not separate at all.

I drink v2.0 for lunch.

The gas buildup in the fridge is slower, from what I recall, but it’s a known issue for soylent to build up gas in a closed container. Many stories of non-refrigerated <=1.5 containers exploding after several days :slightly_smiling:

I like your solution of using 1.5 for one meal, 2.0 for another, I think I’ll steal it :stuck_out_tongue:

You could freeze it. Just make sure you defrost it in the refrigerator.

You could can it. Put it in a mason jar, boil it, and seal it while it’s still hot. Though this will destroy the vitamin C, so you’ll need to supplement.

Alternatively, you can learn to enjoy it warm, plain, and chunky.

Yes it is viable to prepare days in advance, I’ve been doing that because it gets smoother the longer it’s refrigerated. Recently I mixed up a pitcher and left it in the fridge for 5 days before opening it, then finished it over 2 more days. Didn’t see or smell any gas or bacteria buildup.

[quote=“Sententia, post:5, topic:24967, full:true”]
Yes it is viable to prepare days in advance, I’ve been doing that because it gets smoother the longer it’s refrigerated. Recently I mixed up a pitcher and left it in the fridge for 5 days before opening it, then finished it over 2 more days. Didn’t see or smell any gas or bacteria buildup.
[/quote]Most tap water has chlorine in it to kill bacteria, which usually boils off quickly after being exposed to air. There could be enough in yours to kill off any bacteria in your soylent if sealed quick enough. And as long as you keep the bacteria out (i.e. don’t open it), it will stay fresh.

One of those water purification drops / tablets could work too. Drop it in and seal it. No idea what they cost.

Though, if any bacteria survives, it will eat the Soylent and release gas. (not unlike people).

Yeah, I use 2.0 for lunch due to convenience but the mixing and measuring I save for when I have time at home. Usually have a normal meal for dinner although sometimes I just have some more v1.x Soylent.

Potassium Soberate

Campden Tablets

Yea. Bacteria and what not start eating the Soylent and producing gas.

I split a bag of 1.5 out into five blender bottles (adding protein and some psyllium husk). I only actually keep two in the fridge at a time though (I drink about two bottles a day on average). So I have extra bottles loaded with powder and ready to add water and shake. Since I’m not adding the water in advance I could keep the extra powder loaded bottles a long time.

I believe the preparation pamphlet states you should use mixed soylent in 2 days. My guess is if the bottle / container was dirty, you may have bacterial growth.

Freezing works best for me. After mixing, I fill a few pint sized milk containers to either fridge or freeze… they’re fairly durable. Fridged ones go to work for keeping in work fridge till lunch, and if I’m running errands for the day, a frozen one leaves with me in the morning. Wrapped well, it defrosts about the time I am ready to consume it. For your situation, mix enough for the week, set the later ones aside for freezing. No more scrambling before work.