Bug in discourse

I received a PM from @Spaceman today. I replied to it. A few hours later I went back to it to ask him a question. After hitting submit I received an error 500. I tried to submit again but it said my post was too similar to what I had tried to send previously.

I clicked on spaceman’s profile and then on the send personal message icon. I typed the exact same thing and received the same error message saying that what I had tried to post was too similar.

I still haven’t been able to message spaceman.

@codinghorror

well, next time dont send php code as part of the text…

int rand
( int $min
, int $max
)

:smiley:

I did not? xxxxxxxxxx

I’ve gotten that message a number of times, but usually when I try to edit something (correct a typo etc.) and Discourse sees that it’s “too similar” and won’t let me post the edit unless I add a few more characters.

Seems to me that the similarity filter needs to be disabled if a post is being edited… either that or altered such that it can allow for even single-character corrections.

Hey buddy, i was just joking with ya. :smiley:

Whitespace-only edits can cause that, but never edits with actual characters in them.

@sam_saffron can you take a look at the error logs and see what’s up with the failure to PM?

Happened to me on several occasions. I had to swap letters to fix transposition errors, or add an s for a plural, and it said I hadn’t changed enough content. I added a smiley at the end of one post and that went through.

In the mean time I received you message, @ruipacheco
with all that xxxxxxxxxx :smile:

@codinghorror, @sam_saffron, I’m getting the same error (500) this evening while trying to PM @Neebs57

Nick,

I received confirmation that my order would be here next Tuesday. I know you may still have a bit of a wait, I’d be happy to share a bag with you if you’d like to get an early taste. I appreciate the work you guys are putting into your videos, saves the world from having to watch the likes of me. PM me (if you can) where you’d like it sent if your interested.