Bugs as a protein source in soylent

After watching ASAPsciene’s video about the nutrition and environmental impact of insects, I immediately thought of its potential soylent applications. Thoughts anyone?

Insects are not vegan, and Rosa Labs probably doesn’t want to make things less vegan than they already are.

Yeah I can promise you that if “bugs” were to begin being used as the protein (or anything else) source, I would absolutely cease all use of or involvement with the product. Sure maybe that’s a “first world” POV, but… it is what it is.

I’d prefer if Rosa Labs started using human sources of protein: it would be truer to the name.

I’d like to start slow, by being able to get bug-protein dog food. The dog wouldn’t mind at all.

you eat bugs all the time, you just don’t know that you do. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is pretty hard NOT to eat bugs. Bugs is often used for coloring in candy for one.

I wouldn’t mind bugs as long as properly included and not bugs self-entry into soylent! Bugs are amazing source of protein that is more or less immune to cross-infection,.

There have been a couple of threads from DIY’ers who have been using them. Won’t work for the vegan or kosher users, but could be a great source for many other folks.

I believe at least one person was raising his own crickets (don’t remember who and I don’t see the thread at the moment), it sounded fairly straight forward and easy to do, might be something for you to consider for your recipe. @bigepidemic was going to try raising mealworm.

Here are a few threads you may like, there are some good links in these to learn about the topic:

Protein and fat from mealworms

Powdered crickets

Insect based protein

Has anyone thought of using cricket or mealworm flower?

My intention isn’t to derail this thread, but I’d like to point out that while the definition of the term “vegan” is clear, it is not necissarily an accurate description of the people who adopt the diet. People go vegan for a multitude of different reasons, and I would bet a higher percentage of vegans would be willing to accept insect protien than non-vegans. Personally I haven’t explored bugs as a dietary measure, but I’m not necissarily opposed to the idea, in fact I find the 90+ percent conversiton of feed to protien to be somewhat appealing from a consie point of view.

I too welcome our insect overlords.
I wouldn’t mind insect protein to be honest as long as it had an alright taste and consistency.

But- to be honest, aside from all the “First World Concerns” Insect protein already is a major part of some foreign diets and could be a possible option for whenever to “World Hunger” Edition of Soylent becomes real and needs to scale locally, no? Legitimate question- would this alter your opinion of “US Soylent”?

On the Kosher part, the crickets you mentioned further down are actually kosher. So while mealworm (a popular choice of insect protein) would definitely be unkosher, a cricket-base protein could still be kosher.

Actually, they’re not. While some insects could technically be kosher, in practice they are not. Check out the discussion in this thread for a better explanation, our resident kosher DIY’er for a while was @isaackotlicky, but I haven’t seen him around lately.

I see… I was operating from just the biblical requirements (which is all I’m concerned with personally). I keep forgetting that certification has higher requirements. Oy vey… … That was not intentional, but it made me laugh.

But yeah, goes to show you have to keep in mind not everyone looks at the world the same way as you. Thank you for clarifying that.

I have posted about this before. It would be a logical and more cost effective move. Insects pound for pound provide among the most protein of any other creature and it takes less resources to acquire it. insects also are high in other vitamins and minerals. Americans eat several pounds of insects a year inadvertently. There is absolutely no reason not to be using this resource. Certainly not a logical one.

Yeah, I hear you. I guess they’re concern is with the myriad of different insects that can fall under “grasshopper” for example. They are uncomfortable not knowing if what we call a grasshopper is the same insect as was called a grasshopper under the law a few thousand years ago, etc. Interestingly though, there are some regions where the tradition has persisted unbroken, in those specific places they are still eaten as kosher, but in areas like the US where it was not continued it is a no go.

I’m going to need a source on that “pounds of insects” thing…

There are insects in our food, and they add up. I imagine different sources give different estimates, but that’s all they are, estimates. I have no trouble believing we unknowingly eat pounds of bugs every year.

Here’s a bit of a fun read from Scientific American if your interested in the subject.

An individual probably ingests about one to two pounds of flies, maggots and other bugs each year without even knowing it.

What @kennufs said. Everything we eat the government allows for a certain amount of bug parts to be in them. Here are some examples of what is allowed.