Bulk protein powder

Anyone try this? Thinking of saving up for it. I’d like to go half and half with someone, as it’s gonna take me forever to use it all.

Too much cholesterol. You need about 80-100 g of proteins for a normal 2000 cal diet and this will take you to or above the 200mg of cholesterol. Otherwise it’s ok.

It’s not the only source of protein (my recipe also calls for peanut butter and eggs and Breakfast Essentials) so the cholesterol shouldn’t be an issue.

Aren’t eggs like ridiculous high in cholesterol?

besides you want to find isolate not concentrate to help with digestive gases.

Sort of, but there have been studies about how eggs don’t actually raise your cholesterol.

Isolate is way more expensive. I care about the amount of protein I’m getting for the price, not really much else.

Well then, it seems you found your product.

Yeah, I was more looking for reviews of it though.

I’m using whey isolate in my recipe as well. I’ve done some research and the cholesterol isn’t an issue. Serum cholesterol is as much a factor of other factors as your dietary choices. Having cholesterol in your soylent shouldn’t raise your serum cholesterol, as long as you aren’t padding it out with high GI sugars and other trash calories.

As an aside, I love how they label this as coming from “An American Whey Manufacturer.” No one actually MANUFACTURES whey intentionally, it’s just an unneeded byproduct of cheese making. They’ve basically figured out how to sell their own trash to us in powdered form at $10 a pound. Hilarious.

Please reconsider the use of eggs in your diet. Eggs are tremendously high in cholesterol and it DOES raise your bodies cholesterol levels, up to 15% of your cholesterol comes from diet.

“A widespread misconception has been developing among the Canadian public and among physicians. It is increasingly believed that consumption of dietary cholesterol and egg yolks is harmless. There are good reasons for long- standing recommendations that dietary cholesterol should be limited to less than 200 mg/day; a single large egg yolk contains approximately 275 mg of cholesterol (more than a day’s worth of cholesterol). Although some studies showed no harm from consumption of eggs in healthy people, this outcome may have been due to lack of power to detect clinically relevant increases in a low-risk population.”

“Dietary cholesterol, including egg yolks, is harmful to the arteries.”

Also I caution against using whey protein as it has IGF-1 a hormone that is strongly linked to cancer.

"Milk and dietary calcium may have antiproliferative effects against colorectal cancer, but milk intake also raises serum levels of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I). A high ratio of IGF-I to IGF-binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) has been linked to an increased risk of colorectal cancer. "

Sources: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21076725 "Dietary cholesterol and egg yolks: not for patients at risk of vascular disease."
http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/93/17/1330.abstract?ijkey=5f3b01a3ce221866beb57f729f75b1056e645405&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha "Milk Intake, Circulating Levels of Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I, and Risk of Colorectal Cancer in Men"
http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/11/11/1441.full#ref-46 “The Associations of Diet with Serum Insulin-like Growth Factor I and Its Main Binding Proteins in 292 Women Meat-Eaters, Vegetarians, and Vegans”

You have to be careful about the ratio, but IGF-1 is vital to the body.

In addition to the insulin-like effects, IGF-1 can also regulate cell growth and development, especially in nerve cells, as well as cellular DNA synthesis.
Deficiency of either growth hormone or IGF-1 therefore results in diminished stature.
Just like having too little body fat or cholesterol is harmful, IGF-1 is part and parcel of the normal operation of the body.

The use of IGF-1 as a growth stimulant happens at much higher quantities (via concentrated serum) than one could ever reasonably ingest.

Another thing to note is that certain cancers (such as prostate cancers) will lower the concentration of circulating IGFBP-3. This means that the ratio of IGF-1:IGFBP-3 in cancer patients rises. This is a potential signal or symptom of a preexisting cancer, not a causative agent FOR cancer. In a healthy individual, IGF-1 is balanced by the body and has no ill effects.

@Xander, I appreciate your concern in raising awareness, as it spurred me to perform my own research on the subject.

*edit: *Actually, take a look at this:

As IGF-1 is a protein, it cannot be absorbed orally since it is rapidly broken down in the gastrointestinal tract.

Ingested proteins are nearly always broken down into their constituent amino acids. Ingestion of IGF-1, or any other protein, will in no way affect the serum levels of that particular protein. In order to increase the serum concentration, you have to inject IGF-1 directly into the blood (this is why oral growth hormones and insulin don’t exist). Excess IGF-1 is pathological in nature, not dietary.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply isaac, can you link your sources?

As always. the best summary of sources can be found on wiki:

On [Proteolysis][1]:

In human digestion, proteins in food are broken down into smaller peptide chains by digestive enzymes […] It is necessary to break down proteins into small peptides […] so they can be absorbed by the intestines, and […] also further broken into amino acids intracellularly before they enter the bloodstream.

Small part of the overall article, but if you don’t break down the proteins into consituent peptides, they don’t even get into your bloodstream.

From the article on [IGF-1][2]:

IGF-1 is produced primarily by the liver as an endocrine hormone as well as in target tissues in a paracrine/autocrine fashion. Production is stimulated by growth hormone (GH) and can be retarded by undernutrition, growth hormone insensitivity, lack of growth hormone receptors, or failures of the downstream signalling pathway […]

Circulating IGF-1 can be affected by diet, but not by ingestion of IGF-1, which, as noted, gets broken down into consituent peptides.

More discussion of the different factors contributing to serum IGF-1 (and the effects of excess IGF-1) are in an article from Xenobiotica, but I found a [free PDF here][3]. The article is a bit too long for me to skim through (~100 pages), but the major external factors all involve steriods, estrogens, etc. upsetting the hormonal balance of the body. This is because IGF production is heavily regulated:

Although many of IGFs actions are mediated in a traditional endocrine fashion through stimulation of their production in the liver by GH, IGFs can also act in an autocrine/ paracrine manner. For example, in vitro studies have shown that muscle cells subjected to
mechanical force produce forms of IGF-1 (in addition to other growth factors), which may help explain some of the adaptations in muscle seen with exercise (Cheema et al. 2005).

As always, I’m really enjoying the impetus to research that the soylent forums have given me!
[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proteolysis
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGF-1
[3]: http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?sid=416e3132-2a0b-4746-a318-e8736391cee7@sessionmgr4002&vid=2&hid=4204

this sums up quite nicely what I feel in the past month or so :smiley: Thanks for summing it up in one sentence!