But how do you make Soylent?

I’ve seen several lists of ingredients. I’ve seen several threads discussing what’s good and what’s bad, both here and on @rob’s blog.

What I’d love to see is an official list of ingredients, the tools necessary to produce soylent and the process. Right now this is all very hazy. Should I blend it? Should I boil it? How do I mix all the ingredients?

One reason given to not disclose the list of ingredients and the manufacturing process is to protect people from themselves. Have you noticed how many people are making bootleg soylent? Which has absolutely no quality control?

You might want to take a look at this: http://discourse.soylent.me/discourse/t/sourcing-from-amazon/248 to get most of your ingredients and then do some research on how to measure specific items, etc…

Although, I for one would like a specific list and instructions so it can be made by others, I just don’t think that is the direction rob is going. It would be like open sourcing a project, but people could be potentially hurt by it. A lot more liability there than with release a tested product.

You may also want to look at my thread regarding measuring information: http://discourse.soylent.me/discourse/t/how-to-properly-measure-various-ingredients-without-owning-expensive-lab-equipment/111

I must caution you to make sure you know what you are doing. It’s hazy for a reason. It’s to discourage people with little or no background in chemistry from making this because overdosing (or vice versa) yourself can make you seriously sick. If you’re asking these questions, I really urge you to reconsider and wait for the Kickstarter to come out. You’ve lived with food all your life up until now. I think you can survive a little longer. :slight_smile:

I actually had the same thought as your last paragraph…

Very Wise and well said. I would not be experimenting with this if it was not for my girl who was in the medical field and is also OCD about researching Everything down to the enth degree.

I’m sorry but I don’t agree.

We’re making food here, not enriching uranium. If you miss your portions you’ll feel sick or off balance, both of which can be corrected fairly easily.

And if you’re trying to protect people you should really release the recipe, to put an end to all this moonshine production. Which, I believe, won’t so much harm you as make you waste your money.

Here’s what I do:

1. Add macronutrients to blender.
  2. Add micronutrients to blender.
  3. Blend.

If you know how to measure things and basic chemistry, following these three steps is easy. If not, learn basic chemistry first.

Take an ingredients list

The “sourcing from Amazon” spreadsheet is way off on nutrient dosage, be careful.

I have yet to see someone say that in their thread and I would suggest that if you know how/why its off, it would be beneficial to post in that thread and let them know.

I’m not intending to try to make this soylent without a clear recipe and step by step instruction on how to blend all that…an overdose of one could lead to some problems…still waiting for a recipe and most ingredients may not be readily available here in the philippines

how is it off. i made it and all of the doses are from robs blog post about what he had used. i literally imported that whole list into excel straightened it out and removed the explanation text.

The doses of the needed element and the quantity of supplement to obtain this are totally different. Take potassium gluconate, for instance, if you want 3.5 grams of potassium, you need 21 grams of potassium gluconate. I am looking at the current version, and the author corrected this, but now, notice the chloride source? Potassium chloride! To get the 3.4 grams of chloride from Rob’s posts, you need 7.14 grams of potassium chloride, not the 3.4 in the spreadsheet. What happens then? You get an extra 3.8 grams of potassium, for a total of 7.25 grams, only 1.75 grams under toxic levels. I have not gone through the entire spreadsheet, just the first two lines of micronutrients, and already, you are in danger of poisoning yourself if you follow these instructions.

In the next few days, I will clean up my own spreadsheet and export it to Google Docs so I can post it for review.

Hi Ruipacheco,
I think this issue is one where there are pros and cons on both sides. We can mutually disagree with one another on whether or not Rob should post the recipe in toto. Ultimately can respect each other’s opinions.

@systema Would you be willing to write up the correct conversions for people? We have a wiki started and are looking for knowledgeable people to contribute and help clear things like these issues for new comers.

and thats why i posted it to find the bugs in it and ive been updating it as people point things out. the potassium was under which isnt going to poison you and i didnt post it as a definitive guide to go and buy. several things have been improved on it from community effort to make it better.

@dovaka, What I wrote was in no way intended to be disparaging of your work, I am building a spreadsheet for this myself, I know it is a lot of work. I did however make my warnings strongly worded to make people aware that following the instructions in their current state could be dangerous. In a few days, I will be putting up my own spreadsheet for review, first to get second opinions and be sure I did not mess up any calculations, and then to help people with their process. Basically, thank you for putting that out there, that is the fist thing I should have written.

@prefinem, I am currently working on that, and I might set the spreadsheet up to include multiple sources when they exist (Potassium, for instance, can be found in potassium phosphate, potassium citrate, and I think I may have seen a gluconate too), each will have a different multiplier. My version will definitely be for the more technically minded, though, using lab grade individual chemicals and potentially pure amino acids instead of protein.

Awesome man… I will send you a pm to let you know when the wiki and everything are ready to go.

Im very interested in your approach. This would be a worthy item for clinical testing along side Robs work. Rob has stated, However, that some items absorb a lot better than others. Specifically in his example of chellated supplements versus gluconate supplements. Do you agree?

@gktownsend, I would have to look at the literature on this subject, but the amounts are so tiny, price is more a concern than bioavailability at this stage for me. Clinical trials would be interesting, my experience makes me particularly interested in Soylent as a product for military use. On top of having something that is very compact an lightweight (a month of food is under 40 pounds), the very minimal digestive footprint would really reduce to potential for septic complications in abdominal trauma.

1. Keep measuring and remeasuring an ingredient until you have the amount you require.
  2. Add the ingredient into the blender bowl.
  3. Repeat for each ingredient once, until no more ingredients.
  4. Pulse the blender, then leave it on. Leave it on GOOD.
  5. When planning to drink in the next 10 hours, add water to taste, mix it in well. (aka, Leave it on GOOD)
  6. Serve chilled.

Pro achievement: get a blender that fits 10 times your recipe without water, and blend 10 portions at a time to cut your errors x10 (still only consume no more and no less than a portion a day.)