Calories in GUM

Been chewing Sugar free gum to keep the jaw muscles alive. Just noticed on the Nutrition facts…it’s listed as 5 Calories

Question is…are gum labels different from normal food?

Is it 5 calories just from chewing? or 5 calories if you swallow the gum (like normal food).

If you just chew on an apple and spit it out…the calories you ingest would not be what you would have listed on the nutritional info.

(yes I know of the side effects of swallowing gum on soylent)

Just curious cause all other food is meant to be swallowed and gum is not…do they account for that?

Thanks.

The FDA does not consider the gum base to be food stuff, because it isn’t meant to be swallowed, and is not regulated. The ingredients don’t have to be declared at all.

What type of gum is it? Does it have a hard shell? That’s usually made from carnauba, which has calories. But still 5 Calories seems like a lot for a sugar free gum. Wait, is it sweetened? Sugar alcohols, like xylitol (which is good for your teeth), and sorbitol do have calories too.

I don’t think that a gum base (usually made of rubber and plastic) has (m)any calories.

I carry a few packs around…this post was made after looking at the label for this gum…

http://www.amazon.com/Wrigleys-Extra-Dessert-Delights-Cobbler/dp/B00H4GKMW4

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-extra-dessert-delights-gum-i427577

INGREDIENTS:SORBITOL, GUM BASE,
GLYCEROL, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS; LESS THAN 2% OF: HYDROGENATED
STARCH HYDROLYSATE, ASPARTAME, MANNITOL, ASPARTAME-ACESULFAME, SOY
LECITHIN, ACESULFAME K, COLORS(YELLOW 5 LAKE, BLUE 1 LAKE), BHT(TO
MAINTAIN FRESHNESS). PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

i guess i got my answer…5 cal from a good chewing. thanks…i was just picking up any gum that caught my eye and said SUGAR FREE…ill keep a closer eye on labels now… anything particular too look for on the label? i dont like mint so I mostly like fruit or flavored gum.

If you don’t mind the taste of sorbitol, xylitol seems to actually be better for your teeth, and tastes the same.

I too went looking for a gum to chew to compliment Soylent drinking. I came across Epic Dental, and bought a 500 piece bag of assorted flavors. I like the taste of all four, but it turns out I have a rare condition, cinnamon contact stomatitis, that makes my tongue become raw when exposed to cinnamon flavoring. So I gave away 25% of that bag. The fruit flavored gum base seems to be softer than the mints, with spearmint being the toughest. All said though, the flavors are excellent, and at 2.4 Calories per piece, that’s half of what you’re getting now (though I chew two pieces at a time). :smile:

What are the side effects of swallowing gum on soylent?

Edit: Nevermind. Just looked it up. Good to know. I’m not a habitual gum swallower but it does happen on occasion.

I’m starting to think we should have a thread for all the things people should know about switching to soylent for a majority of their meals. Like avoiding swallowing gum. Or if there are certain foods you should avoid on a mostly soylent diet to avoid going over the healthy recommended value of certain nutrients.

so your saying xylitol is better than sorbitol…correct?? ill keep an eye out for that…thanks

Yeah, you can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

must be why Xylitol is proudly displayed on gum that has it and sorbitol is not

And then there is this

There are a slew of similar products on the market. One could use this and factor it into the daily RDIs for their DIY

I have that cinnamon thing too! I thought I was the only one nor did I know it had an actual name!

I know I’m late to the party here, but know that xylitol is ridiculously toxic to dogs. May or may not be an issue in your house, but I try to avoid bringing it in in case one of the dogs gets in to it.