Camping with Soylent 1.5

It would be nice if Soylent were available in a paste-like or bar form for backpacking. It just tastes bad when warm, and it’s very difficult to drink it any other way on the trail (in the summer at least). I keep a dedicated blender ball in my bear vault and bring individually prepared meals, including flavoring, and just mix a quick meal when backpacking. But because it tastes pretty gross, I make it “denser” so there is less to drink, and I still have to force it down. Quickly. I’m just used to the refrigerated taste, I guess, but I wish it weren’t such a struggle to get through it on the trail. It’s still my preferred meal when hiking even so.

Rob said in his AMA that solid-form Soylent is one of the things they’re working on.

Yes, I saw that too! I’m eager to know what it will be… a paste? a bar? a cake?

I hope they make it in freeze dried form :smile: as it wont involve heat.

Here’s the mountain stream I used to mix my Soylent with for the past 3 days:

Worked great, man.

Bonus pic: My view of the July 31st “blue moon”:

:tent:

9 Likes

Canada the most beautiful place on earth and also the place with probably the highest number of the most beautiful women per capita. Elisha cuthbert, evangeline lilly, missy perigryn, cobie smulders, kristen kreuk, rachel mcadams all from a population of what 20 million?

1 Like

Awe, shucks, Tark! You’re gonna make us Canadian ladies blush! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I forgot to add:

I didn’t like Soylent too much without it soaking for a while. (I normally prepare a day’s worth the night before - drinking it right away = too “chalky”) To remedy this while camping, I’d shake up a meal in my bottle well beforehand, then leave it in the water (the lake and stream was fairly cold) to chill and soak. Much better.

2 Likes

I guess that Soylent 2.0 fits all the conditions

except maybe the first and fourth one.

The water weight is a biggy… If water is available around the camp site (it usually is…), you end up carying a lot of weight for nothing…

I still believe that a paste or solid version of Soylent would be the perfect hiking food.

My sunflower butter just arrived, I can’t wait to give it a try.

My previous test paste has been sitting for more than 3 weeks in my kitchen and still no signs of spoilage…

1 Like