Can i give my dog soylent SOS

My dog has pneumonia she started taking strong antibiotics, she ate very little the last three days. No food today , i tried different food, my food, just chicken …but she doesn’t eat it. She threw up yellow ,the nurse said probably because she hasn’t eaten, and i have to feed her something So i thought about soylent in a syringe.
My kids are vegan and that’s why i have it, is powder original flavor

I’m not a vet. Or a doctor. But I can say, my dog has had small amounts of soylent and seemed fine. She really liked it too. In general dogs should not have chocolate, citrus, xylitol, lactose. None are in Soylent as far as I know (well, plain soylent; cacao has chocolate, obviously).

BUT, I’m not sure this is a good idea. Your vet knows best. If they think the dog will recover with time, just follow their advice, don’t start making up your own medical procedures.

1 Like

Uhhh, don’t do this. This food is tested for people, not dogs.

2 Likes

I’m agreeing with Bopping here. A lot of the normal human food we eat is not that great for our pets; Soylent could be better or worse, and when your pet is sick is definitely not the time to be testing that out. As wms said, small amounts seem fine for a health pet; but you situation also is kind of making this the pet’s primary source of nutrition temporarily, and not just a taste.

Any halfway decent pet supply store should have something like “Ensure” for pets available.
Something like this… I’m not necessarily saying that particular one, it’s just what I found with a quick search (I had cats with special dietary needs previously, so I’ve got no specific suggestions for dogs.)

1 Like

I wanted to update this post.
During the weekend i did fed my dog soylent and she gained energy. The chicken and rice (blended)i was cooking for her didn’t do that for her, not enough nutrients.
But we went to another doctor. He gave me critical nutrition food and vitamins to mix with it, which is the proper food replacement for dogs .
And told me that my dog has pneumonia because she has cancer. The mass she has can’t be removed. So i hope she can recover from the pneumonia to have some extra days to spoil her with treats and love.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to enjoy your remaining time together.

1 Like

Good for you, good for her. End of life is a rotten time for those with furry kids. I wish you both well.

1 Like