Can I use Wheat Germ as my primary calories

I am using people chow 3 but I use 100g of masa and 100g of oat. I have been looking for a replacement for oats but coconut flour is even more expensive. Today I notice that Wheat Germ basically gives me more protein per gram than masa, oats or cocunut.

Also wheat germ is freaking cheap in low quantities
http://www.bobsredmill.com/wheat-germ.html

So what is wrong with Wheat Germ that it doesn’t get used in any recipe? Also I know it has tons of Manganese but I think in the correct recipe it wouldn’t be a problem.

Might work… sounds tasty to me, too. Plug it into the DIY and see if it works.

I use a significant amount (60g/day) of wheat germ in my diy. In addition to protein, it’s rich in several minerals and vitamin E. Gluten sensitivity might be one concern. The protein quality appears to be high.

The issue of gluten sensitivity may be why it is so cheap. Now if you believe (as I do) that the gluten thing is overblown for most people, then it may be a real bargain especially having all those extra vitamin and mineral goodies.

Eve

Wikipedia says that it’s a by-product of flour milling, so supply may be far in excess of demand. Also - a good storage tip.

“Wheat germ or wheatgerm is a concentrated source of several essential nutrients including Vitamin E, folate (folic acid), phosphorus, thiamin, zinc, and magnesium, as well as essential fatty acids and fatty alcohols.[8][9] It is a good source of fiber.[10] White bread is made using flour that has had the germ and bran removed.[11] Wheat germ can be added to protein shakes, casseroles, muffins, pancakes, cereals, yogurt, smoothies, cookies, and other goods.[12] Wheat germ can become rancid if not properly stored in a refrigerator or freezer,[13] and away from sunlight.[14] Some manufacturers prevent rancidity by storing wheat germ in vacuum sealed glass containers.”

Wheat is probably one of the least healthy things you can eat, even for people who don’t have fully developed celiac disease, at least from what I’ve read.

Documented peculiar effects of wheat on humans include appetite stimulation, exposure to brain-active exorphins (the counterpart of internally derived endorphins), exaggerated blood sugar surges that trigger cycles of satiety alternating with heightened appetite, the process of glycation that underlies disease and aging, inflammatory and pH effects that erode cartilage and damage bone, and activation of disordered immune responses. A complex range of diseases results from consumption of wheat, from celiac disease—the devastating intestinal disease that develops from exposure to wheat gluten—to an assortment of neurological disorders, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, curious rashes, and the paralyzing delusions of schizophrenia. source

Here’s a page that mentions bad stuff about wheat and cites the studies behind it: http://authoritynutrition.com/6-ways-wheat-can-destroy-your-health/

Thanks for the links. A vegan acquaintance of mine believes he developed severe celiac from eating two much wheat gluten as the mock-meat, seitan. I’ll definitely be on the look-out for any adverse effects from including wheat germ in my diet regularly. From the first article you cite, it seems like it might be a good idea to try to find something like an “heirloom” wheat source. I hope that my Italian heritage comes with a high tolerance for wheat. Otherwise, we would have become extinct centuries ago.

Wheat germ is very good due to high micro nutrients profile, but it’s not so easy to digest (just imaging you’re eating dough). If you’re looking for high protein in carb sources - try rice flour.

Are you guys talking about Vital Wheat Gluten?

All those ill effects are linked to the gluten. There is an abundance of gluten in the starchy part of the wheat grain which is turned into white flour. With wheat germ you’re getting all the vitamins and minerals, and less of the gluten than whole wheat. Wheat germ might not be appropriate as a primary source of calories but shouldn’t be dismissed altogether, unless outright allergic to wheat or gluten. At any rate white flour is much less healthy.

No we are talking about
http://www.bobsredmill.com/wheat-germ.html

I have no clue to what product that translates in my country, if any.