Can Soylent help a 375lb man lose weight?

Hi guys. I’m sorry to ask about weight loss and Soylent since I know it’s not really designed to be a diet fad. But heres my situation. I’m 375lbs, a food addict, and have depression because of it which causes me to never exercise. Despite all this, I’m pretty healthy. Blood pressure is normal. Slightly high cholesterol, but nothing really bad. No diabetes.

So as of the past 4 days, I have been replacing breakfast and lunch with Soylent. I don’t eat any snacks in between. The only other thing I have is black coffee and water. For dinner I tend to eat whatever I want, but that doesn’t mean it’s fast food. But it could be pizza, or a burger, but not excessive amounts.

I’m not ready to give up food entirely. But if I stay on this track, do you think I could lose weight? I plan to add exercise as well - mostly walking. Thanks for any help.

6’02" and early 40’s. I started the same way with breakfast and lunch. I was 278lbs when I first started. Over time, it turned into a normal day was 3 shakes to start the day and a regular dinner of anything I wanted, but tried to make decent choices when I could. Had some days where didn’t do shakes at all and just ate regular too. But, I also had a couple times where I would just do shakes for 2-3 days at a time. After the all shake days, I would reward myself with eating whatever I wanted and then would get back to the normal routine the next day. About 6 months later, I’m right around 245. I feel significantly better than I did. These shakes are certainly not low fat or low carbs, but looking at what I was eating, there is no comparsion. Even if I feel like I need an extra shake or two, it’s still significantly better than a quick combo meal. And while these aren’t cheap, I was spending more on fast food than I do on these.
So I can’t speak for everyone, but I have lost weight and I feel much better than I did.
On a side note, I walk 3-7 miles a day at work, but have for years, even at my max weight.

Sure you can lose weight. To me, the main benefit for dieters of Soylent is that it gets you off foods you are addicted to and thus away from foods that encourage you to break your diet.

I’ve had Soylent as a major part of my diet for approaching five years, and I have no intention of quitting in the foreseeable future. But it is more of a diet stabilizer to me, something healthier than most of the alternatives. During that time, I’ve gone from poorly controlled Diabetes 2 to well controlled Diabetes 2, a significant improvement.

So it’s the general effects of Soyent that seem crucial to me, and it is only a healthy building block for dieters.

Had been using it in much the same way as yourself since Soylents arrival to Canada in around 2015. It doesn’t make much sense why it was pulled here but have hope for an early 2019 return.

I’ve used Soylent to lose weight (fat) in the past, I’m also using it now to help me gain weight (muscle). Soylent is food, not quite what we would normally consider as food, but food nonetheless. Since it’s a complete food, it’s unique in that it could be all that you eat and be healthy, but it’s intended purpose is to conveniently and healthily replace a meal. Since you mentioned that your goal was to lose weight, consider the following…

Now counting calories isn’t a necessity, we humans have done fine without it for thousands of years. However it is a tool that we have access to in our modern day. If you choose to count calories, it is best if you first understand how much you should be eating, and second to have an easy way of tracking said calories like the free MyFitnessPal app. If however you choose not to count calories, stepping on the scale once a week as well as taking monthly pictures are both good indicators of progress.

I’ve done three separate 30 Day 100% Soylent Challenges in the past and I recorded my experience with the second one here. I’ve also learned the value of exercise as well as the value of learning from others who are reputable. Last year I purchased a program from ATHLEAN-X and after six whole months I had gained about half a pound, but I looked quite a bit different because of what exercise was doing for my body. Here is a link to that.

All that said, I wish you luck! You don’t have to get everything perfect from the start, just do one or two things at a time and incorporate them into your life. After a while you’ll have accumulated a lot of little things that translate into a healthier happier you. Feel free to ask if you have any questions, or use the links I provided to learn more.

Yes. It can. The key though is changes you can stick with. I’d recommend reading through mtandy’s thread if you haven’t already done so. For me, one of the ‘keys’ was/is understanding my own behavior. I don’t eat/snack because I want the food, I eat/snack because it’s easy and quick. For me to ‘hack’ that pattern, I went on 30 days at 100% Soylent. Worked great, but only because of my underlying patterns. (And I’d be perfectly happy doing 100% Soylent all the time with very occasional ‘cheats’). If you have a pattern you can stick to with Soylent for breakfast and Soylent for lunch, then you’re probably on to a winner.

Did you lose weight during your 30 days on Soylent alone? I don’t think I can do 30 days, but may try 7 days or so.

Thanks guys for the input. I’m going to stick with replacing breakfast and lunch for now with no additional snacking. They way I look at it is that even if I don’t lose lots of weight, its still going to be healthier for me than eating fast food or something greasy. Its been about 6 days and I already feel better. This may be gross to read about, but my BM’s seem more “normal” and less frequent if that makes sense. I guess it’s because I’m eating more nutrients than I previously was. Ill admit, I had a really bad diet before. But my main problem was quantity. Even on rare occasions when I would eat something healthier for me, I’d eat very large amounts. I swear I should’ve entered eating competitions, lol. But surprisingly Soylent makes me feel full and so far has taken away urges to constantly snack. Sure, I have cravings, but nothing overwhelming.

I’m really amazed on how great Soylent tastes. The cacao flavor tastes like a chocolate milkshake! But I was wondering, is there any point to take vitamins or supplements? I was taking a multi vitamin and fish or krill oil previously. But I didn’t think I still needed them with Soylent. Plus I’ve read it’s not wise to overdue your vitamins. Also, what is everyones thoughts on Huel? Thanks.

Yep, lots. Think it was about 4 lbs a week.

If you are consuming sufficient vitamins with your food, then there is no additional benefit in supplemental vitamins. Omega 3 Fish Oils are a different story though, It’s pretty hard to get enough of those in just your food. The clinically effective dose is 2000-3000 milligrams per day, and a good non-biased source to find them (and any supplement really) is LabDoor.

”Also, what is everyones thoughts on Huel? Thanks.”

I haven’t tried it personally, but I’ve seen others talk about it. It seems to be a good alternative to Soylent if there is something that you don’t like about it. You’d want a more informed opinion beyond that. Soylent does have more options if nothing else.

Try Soylent Bridge for weight loss it tastes great

Unfortunately that isn’t how weight loss works.

Can you elaborate? I’m hoping to get healthy from Soylent, but also lose some weight.

(That comment was in response to Craig, but a glitch apparently decided to delete the quote giving it that context.)

Regardless, as the little infographic that I posted covers quite concisely, weight loss is achieved first and foremost from a net caloric deficit. This means consuming less calories than your body uses in a day.

As far as weight loss is concerned, it doesn’t matter what you eat as long as you’re in a net caloric deficit. You could eat nothing but ice cream, twinkies, and candy bars and still lose weight. On the flip side, if you are in a caloric surplus you will gain weight regardless of what you eat (Even salads, Soylent, and detox smoothies). So why bother eating healthy? Because you’re giving your body what it needs to function like it should. You’re also more likely to feel full, energetic, and less achey/groggy.

To elaborate more specifically though, you can’t expect a single food item to change the whole of your body’s nutrient intake. If you’ll pardon a musical reference, it’s the overall chorus of everything you consume that makes a difference, not an individual note here or there. That’s why fat loss pills don’t work, that’s why “this one simple trick” doesn’t work, etc.

Going back to your original question, “Can Soylent help a 375 lb man lose weight?”, of course it can. But not as the cause of weight loss. Soylent is just food, a convenient and healthy food, but food nonetheless. A net caloric deficit will always be the cause of weight loss. Now you certainly don’t have to count calories if you don’t want to, but you’ll need to be in a deficit regardless. I’m just guessing your statistics here, but at worst it looks like your body might be consuming 2000 calories a day. It’s entirely possible that your body might need 2800 or more calories just to sustain your current weight given more activity (or other variables that I might have guessed incorrectly).

I’d really recommend checking out that infographic though. It explains a lot in a concise and straightforward way. If there is something about it that you don’t get, I’ll be around if you have any questions, or feel free to scour the internet. Good luck!

My opinion on this is very simple: Soylent makes it EASY to eat cheap and healthy and track calories or points or whatever your diet makes you track. In that respect, YES Soylent can help. For me, that was worth a lot… I’m lazy, and making dieting easier helped.

Good luck on your journey. The other Soylenters have given you great advice that you should definitely listen to. Here are my two cents on the issue.

• Can Soylent help? Yes, but as others said, Soylent is just food. What will make you lose weight is mostly the calorie deficit.
  • How to implement a calorie deficit.I am personally a fan of doing it gradually. Calculate how much you need to survive and then eat 200kcal less. You will lose weight. When you plateau, go 200kcal lower. Rinse and repeat (you will eventually hit a plateau when exercise or other reset methods will be needed).
  • Mental aspect; losing weight is not about dieting but about chaging your lifestyle. Let’s be honest; you have reach this point because the lifestyle choices (or events). What you should be working on is trying to change the way you look food and behave as a person. make sustainable, long term changes that will allow you not only to lose weight, but to stay at that weight.
    -Similarly, you need to have it clear WHY you are trying to take on this challenge and pursue the llifestyle change. Strong reasons are good motivators and reminders to stay on track.
  • This is a marathon, not a 100m dash. It does not matter if you fail one day or have a big meal or cheat.Think about it with prespective, Does one day matter in a month or a year? Stay focused on your goal and make sure you keep the good habits even after “bad” events.
  • Exercise. This relates to the lifestyle change point. I guess that if you are looking to lose weiht is because you want to be healthier and happier. Exercise is KEY for both. It has been shown that it can help to feel more energized and happy during the day. Obviously, it can help you losing weight too. However, you might be scared of it because you have not run in a while or perhaps never been in a gym. I strongly advise you to do what you enjoy. Make exercise fun: walk, jog, play tennis, play footbal, cycle, find a class that you like in the gym… find something that works for you. The gym and running are just the most common and easy.

Hacks for the journey:

• Drink plenty of water.
  • Cheat days. Although they do not work very well for me, since I get hooked on the food, there’s many people that make it work.
  • Be busy. I eat the most when I am bored.
  • Don’t become obsessed with food.
    -Weight yourself weekly (not daily).

All in all for me, you should focus on a sustainable lifestyle change so you stick to the diet easily; change deep rooted habits and ensure you will not gain the weight back.

Best of luck

Such a lifestyle change. It was revolutionary for me when my wife told me, shortly after we started dating, “David, you know you don’t have to finish your plate, right?” It was as big a revelation as being told that you’re living the Matrix. Accepting her statement as fact was my first and most important step to getting my weight where I wanted it.

If you stick with it, I think it could help you lose weight for sure. I bet the hard thing for you will be getting used to not eating big, yummy meals. Since you are a self-described food addict, you probably get a lot of pleasure from eating. Some counseling and a support group would probably help, something like Weight Watchers maybe?