Can we have NAFTA certificates of origin so we can avoid duties when reshipping to Canada?

If I’m not mistaken, Soylent is entirely made in the US. If that is so, would it be possible to have certificates of origin to certify that the product is made completely within the NAFTA zone (United States, Canada, Mexico) which would allow us to bring it to Canada without paying duties (or paying less, I’m still unsure about the details)?

It would make some of us save a bunch!

The form is here : http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_434.pdf

Tagging @Soylent, hopefully they can do something along those lines for you.

I might be wrong, but the rice protein is from Asia (or was it?). Not sure where the algae oil is from though, but the fish oil from previous versions was from Iceland…

From what I understand, the location of assembly counts for more than the location the parts are from but that’s a bit over my head…

Axiom Foods gets their brown rice from Asia and they have processing plants in Asia and in the U.S. Regardless, when Soylent buys the Axiom product, I believe they’re buying a U.S. product. Any fees or duties are already handled by Axiom.

I asked a lawyer and he says that the origin of the parts does not matter in any way as long as the final product is made within NAFTA.

With a certificate of origin we should pay taxes but not duties.

Anything to bring the price down for us International users. The price is much too high for us; I certainly won’t be keeping up my subscription for much longer. My price works out to $19.25 per day as of right now. (2 weeks sub.)

The OP is the perfect example of how to frame this (and a potential solution that could help reduce costs for some international consumers.)

Much better than that other thread–

I think it’s probably better to try to let that thread die again rather than draw more attention to it…

@Dan
Just for my curiosity.

Are you sure that it doesn’t have any exceptions?

I can imagine Japanese cars 100% produced in Japan, shipped disassembled to US and only assembled together in US (100% of weight/volume of parts were made outside). So this car will become 100% American and can be exported to China as “true american car”?

I don’t think NAFTA covers exports to China.

@SergiiMiami, NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. It’s specific to Canada/US/Mexico, and only applies to trade between those three countries.

Replace China with Mexico instead, my bad)
My question is if 100% Japanese car with just final assembly in US are considered totally American car, upon sale in Mexico on the sticker.

For me it doesn’t make sense if about 25% of powder is produced in China, 10% in EU, and about 10% elsewhere outside US, to call it fully US product, just because final blend of powders were inspected and mixed together here. It sounds like lying to ourselves to call everything produced in US, if it’s just assembled here with American parts.

Car factories did move to the US and Mexico in the 90s as a result of NAFTA.

Actually I would be surprised if that didn’t happen… I can tell with a high probability that it does… import cheat Chinese parts… I think it’s normal actually.

A factory where I used to work ended up outsourcing the majority of the machining and assembly to China. What happened after that was everything was then shipped back to us here in Canada > quick final assembly > inspection > “Made in Canada” stamped & papers applied. Done. (The final assembly only consisted of 6 simple bolts (3 each) to attach 2 large complicated & heavy units from China to a simple central core.) That’s how it works, kids. Loopholes everywhere. (I’m talking about essential freight locomotive parts here)

One reason why I am against Soylent sourcing ingredients from China/Asia

Long time no answer.

Can we have that piece of paper that would save us a bundle?

I’m not a fan of giving money to Canada for reasons treaties say I shouldn’t.

@Soylent?