Can you link me to the current Soylent recipe?

I’m going to email it to a biologist and chemist at my college and see what they have to say. I just have the feeling that there’s more to it that should be considered before it becomes an official product.

It might be prudent for you to go through the soylent blog and more recent posts by Rob Rhinehart to get an idea of the changes being made. TL;DR? There is no officially released formula, because they’re still working on it.

Well they should at the very least remove lycopene its effects have been refuted by most if not all recent studies.

Alright, I guess I’ll have to take some time and traverse the posts/blogs.

Sources?

-twentycharacters

The most recent high-level summary of the recipe is found here. Note that it is not a full recipe—it doesn’t detail many of the vitamins and minerals that the finished product will contain.

This is what I got from reading each post

Carbohydrates (200g), in the form of oligosaccharides such as maltodextrin
Protein (50g), in a powdered form such as whey protein isolate (rice protein, pea protein)
Fat (65g), in the form of olive oil
Sodium (2.4g), from table salt
Potassium (3.5g), in the form of potassium gluconate
Chloride (3.4g), also from table salt
Fiber (5g)
Calcium (1g), in the form of calcium carbonate
Iron (18 mg), from an iron chelate
Phosphorus (1g), from monosodium phosphate
Iodine (150μg)
Magnesium (500 mg)
Zinc (15 mg)
Selenium (70μg)
Copper (2 mg)
Manganese (2 mg)
Chromium (120μg)
Molybdenum (75μg)
Vitamin A (5000IU)
Vitamin B6 (6μg)
Vitamin C (60 mg)
Vitamin D (400IU)
Vitamin E (30IU)
Vitamin K (80μg)
Thiamin (1.5 mg)
Riboflavin (1.7 mg)
Niacin (20 mg)
Folate (400μg)
Biotin (300μg)
Pantothenic acid (10 mg)

Extras not considered essential:

Lycopene (500μg)* remove this
Omega-3 fatty acids (750 mg)
Ginseng (50μg)* pointless
Ginkgo biloba (100μg)* remove
Lutein (500μg)
Alpha carotene (140μg)
Vanadium (100μg)

replaced half the maltodextrin with oat flour
added creatine, coenzyme Q10, and 2 g of sulfur from methylsulfonylmethane
adds ethyl vanillin to make the drink more palatable
use a blend of EPA / DHA, flax seed (ALA), and Medium Chain Triglycerides, coupled with the fat in Oat Powder

Isomaltulose, Isomaltooligosaccharide, and even raw cornstarch for carbs*

Does he get the vitamins as a pure source???
He never seems to mention that at all.

The above comment from daiceman has been flagged as inappropriate; doesn’t really belong here in the discussion, or on this board. It’s called ‘discourse’ not ‘4chan.’

I can understand your worry and attempt, but unfortunately we’re not really going to know what the formula is until they release it. To my understanding Rob worked on the cautious end of things until he was comfortable with specific elements. Additionally, for all we know, they have since updated the formula to remove the same elements, or others. (Keep in mind that omega-3 is more relevant in context to omega-6 intake, and less so to omega-9 as others have been discovering).

I believe he also was also using a multivitamin at first as well, and building up & around from there as many others have, but most likely now that he has a larger factory he can buy more compounds in bulk and use them instead.

Anywho, awesome leg work compiling an up to date version of the formula, though. I don’t doubt the question will be asked again by others.

The comments at the end are Rob’s changes.
Jeeze calm down.

(Although as a rule of thumb, the word “Jeeze” can always be replaced by the word “please” to make it an order of magnitude more polite.)

Not if it’s disingenuous. Sometimes forced politeness is used as passive aggression. He annoyed me and I acted like it.

Cool quote though lol.

As far as I can see Rob recommends 120g. Where did you get the 50g from?

Wikipedia link, that may have been the original formula.

The recommendation is .8 g of protein per kilogram of body weight.

Honestly most recommendation are meaningless unless given per kg of body weight.

Is that Rob’s recommendation or just the general one?

General recommendation.
If you look it up recommendations are usually between 0.7g per kg of body weight and 0.8g/kg.

This makes a big difference when compared with the USDA 65g protein (2000 calorie diet).

That would be barely adequate for someone like me who by body weight requires 65.4g but by multiplication of my caloric requirement (2700/2000 * 65) requires 88 g.

I personally get 72g of protein from my recipe.