Candida Overgrowth

My wife and I were original backers, we’ve been eating Soylent for just about a year now. We have it for breakfast and lunch almost every day, and occasionally for dinner. When we don’t have Soylent, we tend to eat sort of indulgently. Steak, sushi, hot pot. Aside from Soylent, we don’t eat much sugary stuff or carb heavy stuff.

Over the last couple of months, we both have had significant digestive issues and it turns out that we’ve developed Candida overgrowth. Acute symptoms include constipation, bloating, gas, generalized or localized abdominal pains and most recognizably a white or yellow mucus discharge with or after passing stool which causes burning or itchiness.

The primary trigger for Candida overgrowth is antibiotics, which upset your gut bacteria and give the natural Candida yeast in your body a chance to overwhelm your GI. The other common trigger is a slower buildup caused by diets high in sugars, simple starches or refined carbs. These feed the natural Candida in your GI and allow it to overpower your gut bacteria.

Neither of us have had antibiotics in a few years, so that really just leaves diet.

The only post I’ve seen about Candida is from over a year ago, and there wasn’t much of a discussion on it. I’m curious if anyone else has had these issues, maybe didn’t realize what was going on? Especially after the 1.3 and 1.4 formula changes, because that seems to be when this started for us.

To deal with this, we’ll have to take at least a month off of Soylent to follow a strict low-carb, no-sugar, no-starch diet. We’ll also have to take fungacidal supplements and probiotics. If we do decide to come back on Soylent, we’ll have to continue taking probiotic pills to see if we can keep the Candida at bay in the face of all the starches and sugars.

You’re implying the only two possible causes of CO are diet and antibiotics?

I would double check on that if I were you.

Edit: Grammar

Other, less common factors include:
-Hormonal Birth Control
-Pregnancy
-Steroids
-Diabetes
-Weakened Immune System Caused by Illness of Medication

None of these apply to either of us, let alone both of us. If you know of some other possible cause that I’m not aware of, please clue me in. I’d love for it to not be Soylent causing this.

I would not be surprised to hear of Soylent leading to a candida overgrowth. Entirely anecdotal, but when I first tried my Soylent 1.0 last year I experienced symptoms that would suggest a similar reaction, which led to me selling off the rest of my Soylent instead of eating it. Sadly.

Could be the reduced fiber in Soylent. Try adding resistant starch/fiber that will feed your gut flora.

I may try that if we try to resume Soylent after we kick the overgrowth.

From the National Candida Center other causes are sugar, anti-inflammatory drugs, antacids, dairy products, alcohol, tap water, bowel problems, stress, environmental molds or chemicals and a few others you missed.

That same page advises people to “Test instead of Guess”. I would heed this advice, but it sounds like you already consulted a doctor so that’s a good first step!

Given the sheer volume of possible culprits, I would say Soylent is very unlikely causing this. Soylent contains none of the things the site lists (with the exception of very low amounts of toxic metals). You can abstain if you wish.

Keep us updated and feel better! :slight_smile:

Well, we occasionally take Alieve (an NSAID), but not with any greater frequency over the last few months compared to the last few years. We don’t take antacids with any kind of frequency. We have drinks like, once every week or two. We use carbon filters for our water, which strips the chlorine. Since we’ve been on Soylent, the only dairy we have is a splash milk or cream in our coffee. We both work in pretty sterile office environments, so no dangerous chemicals, and I have a pretty acute allergic reaction to most household molds (asthma, hives) so I’d know if that were an issue. Also, until the last few months, Soylent had our bowels working beautifully. Better than ever.

Our doctors both said that diet is the #1 thing, and that sugars and starches are the most common culprits in feeding overgrowth. Given the timing, I know it’s purely anecdotal but that’s all we’ve got, it makes me suspicious of the potato starches and the new sugar that was added on top of the malto.

I’m pretty sure the maltodextrin was doing it for me - even before the addition of starch and isomaltulose.

Did your doctor mention anything about consuming coconut oil?

Also, how is your oral health?

Coconut oil is a part of our recovery diet. It’s not clear if we’re supposed to stay on it post-recovery.

We both brush twice daily, listerine at night. We also usually chew sugar-free gum after lunch. Especially with Soylent, cause it can leave a sugary, oatmealy aftertaste.

Good call on the probiotics… But which strains are you supplementing with? Can I suggest you try one like http://www.generalbiotics.com/ because most of the probiotic around are just a few strains like from diary products, which really only help with diary products… :sweat_smile:

I mention that specific one because a long time ago they promoted themselves here on discourse, and it sounds very promissing.

(It has 115 different strains in it, which to date is the highest I have seen)

And no matter what pre and/or probiotic you use, never use one that has streptococcus (enterococcus) faecalis in it.

That is a skin/meat eating strain… Isn’t it? Like the one that is on our skin normally, the one that is often found as a drug resistant varient in hospitals.

I dont know about that, but one bone headed doctor prescribed me a probiotic having that on the advice of a medical representative, for chronic diarhea and it made it worse.

Thanks for the response.

I was asking about coconut oil because I add it to my Soylent to help with sinus health. I was speculating it might help fight Candida Overgrowth, but I was also concerned it might contribute.

I like what this company is trying to do, and I’ll probably try their product at some point. But they still won’t list what strains are in there product. With 115 strains are they really that worried someone will copy them strain for strain? And even if someone did, they would still be the first to do it and they could even use the fact that someone is copying them as validation.

The probiotic we’re using has about a dozen strains in it, supposedly shelf stable with 60 billion CFU at time of delivery. I’m a bit skeptical of the “115” strains in the General Biotics brand, just because I don’t know what they are. From reading about probiotics, I’m not even sure what they would be, since I’ve only read about 15 or so families of bacteria that are generally recommended. Do they just mean they have a higher variety of sub-strains within those families?

Our recovery program so far has resulted in pretty significant ‘die-off’ symptoms, we’re hoping we’ll be past those by next week. Our doctors have both suggested we should start feeling better by week 3 or 4, but that we should maintain the recovery program for as long as 8 weeks. If we return to Soylent, we’ll probably start adding Coconut oil to our blend in addition to the psyllium husk.

I appreciate everyone’s advice, but I’m still curious if anyone has had issues with Candida overgrowth since version 1.3 or 1.4? 1.4 is when we first started noticing symptoms, and it tracks given the increase in sugars and starches, but it may have started sooner with 1.3. Keep in mind, Candida overgrowth isn’t just bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea and fatigue. That can be from a lot of different things. The most common and iconic symptoms of Candida overgrowth are mucus in your stool and itchy anus. Less common but equally iconic are recurring yeast infections of the groin or genitals and recurring fungal infections of the ears or sinuses.

Is it just me, or is Candida Overgrowth an awesome drag queen name?

That would be excellent. I was thinking band name, but drag queen name is better.