"Canning" Liquid Soylent

Has anyone considered using something like pressure canning to preserve Soylent in liquid form in sealed Mason jars? I was looking at a bottle of “Ensure” in the grocery store the other day, and reading the ingredient list, it looked a lot like many DIY Soylent recipes. And since Ensure comes in a sealed bottle on the shelf at room temperature, why not put DIY Soylent liquid in a sealed bottle for storage at room temperature?

Why would you want to do tha?

Canning generally requires heating for sterilization. I’d worry about the heating degrading some of the nutrients in Soylent. You’d probably want to check on the heat stability of all the ingredients before attempting to can it.

Why not just leave it in powdered form…?

Less space, longer storage, etc.

I often toss a 6-pack of Ensure in the car when I have a long road trip to make. That way I can have “lunch” at a rest stop just by popping open a bottle. If I could do the same with Soylent it would be cheaper and probably better for me if I tailored my DIY recipe to my personal needs.

Plus, in case of an extended power failure, it would be nice if I could open a 1-serving jar and not have to worry about refrigerating the whole day’s supply. (ON EDIT: Of course I could just mix up one meal worth at a time if I had no electricity, DOH!)

I don’t know about heat stability. That would take some research, but I would guess that data is available somewhere, after all they’ve been canning veggies for for a long time. I’ve canned tomatoes and preserves and they both seem to retain their flavor just fine, though I suppose some of the vitamins would be decreased. Minerals, of course, don’t degrade. Sodium is sodium, and short of nuclear fission, it stays sodium no matter what you do to it.

Anyway, it’s probably a dumb idea, but I thought I’d ask in case anyone has done it.

Thermos! :smiley: Nothing like harnessing the power of vacuum insulation.

I wonder how compressible Soylent is in powder form. Or mix it with oil, compress it as much as possible into a brick, and then store the brick in foil - with CO2 to prevent oxidation. You could probably get really dense long-term storage food bricks… lol.

@isaackotlicky has cooked with it a lot, but not sure how much research he’d done into heat changing the nutrients.

Canning (as in putting food in jars and boiling it to sterilize, for anyone who doesn’t know the term) is partially for using heat to sterilize, and partially to seal the jars. You leave a little airspace above the food, the heating makes the air expand and melts the adhesive on the lids then when they cool the remaining air contracts and causes a vacuum, pulling the lid down and sealing it with the adhesive. (For the disposable two-piece lids. For the fliptop jars, the idea is the same, just substitute ‘gasket’ for ‘adhesive’)

If you work very cleanly, you might be able to get away with heating it just long enough to seal rather than ‘boil until bored’. Might be worth trying for someone with spare DIY or whatever, and the canning abilities.

I put up a post on that just last week - nutrient losses are far lower than expected for baking.

Boiling might be more of a problem, but as the air will heat up far faster than the liquid, it may be possible, as you said, to just seal it without the need to sterilize. Using boiled water would help in that regard.

Ah, so. I remember seeing that at the time but had lost it in all the posts over the weekend. :stuck_out_tongue: