Canola Oil as Fat Source

Is anyone using Canola Oil as a fat source?

It’s really cheap and the Costco and it has a really good Omega3 to Omega6 ratio.

Here’s s photo of the nutrional value:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5eBfGpbXXkEWHA2MUxkTUU2cDg/edit

it costs like 23 $ for 16 LITERS!

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Fat question on intake

I’g guessing it’s because of bad reputation after searching for a while:

But most of the rapeseed canola oil comes from is also genetically modified, so I understand the turnoff, but still … it’s cheap and has really healthy fat!

Fats are tricky. The only ones you can definitively say are bad are trans fats. Seems you know about the 06/03 ratio already (and Canola has an excellent 2:1). For those who don’t know, there is an indication that 06 fats are pro inflammatory and 03 are anti inflammatory, so a ratio of 2:1 (maybe even 1:1) might be optimum.

Breakdown of the fats, might be useful to those deciding on a new source.

Canola looks great from this perspective, perhaps even optimal. There does seem to be a lot of negativity surrounding this fat, but is there any actual evidence against it?

Researching a litte more hasn’t lead me to believe Canola Oil is bad for you. However, too much Omega-3 is bad … so it isn’t possible to only take Canola Oil.

I’m looking into a mix of Canola and Coconut, but can’t reach a nice balance of fats with only those …

You probably shouldn’t use canola oil as your sole source of oil.

I had been looking into canola oil due to its its low price, its high quantity of Polyunsaturated fats, and its favorable ration of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. Unfortunately, I’m shying away from it due to its erucic acid content.

The health risks associated with erucic acid are controversial. It’s generally considered to be safe at the levels that most normal people consume it. Unfortunately, if I were to use it exclusively as my oil, I wouldn’t be consuming it at normal levels. It’s recommended, to be on the safe side, to consume no more than 500 mg/day of erucic acid, and since US canola oil contains 2% erucic acid by weight and i’d be consuming 7 tablespoons a day (98 grams), that means I’d be getting about 1,960 mg/day. Way too much.

If you’re thinking of using a mix of oils, then Canola Oil is fine, but you probably don’t want to consume more than about 2 tbsp/day.

I’ve been creeping for several weeks and this is the first post I’ve ever felt the need to respond to.
What exactly does this graph mean by butterfat (human)?

Actually, I researched it quite a bit and the Erucic Acid isn’t the problem. It’s the high Omega-3 content which is a problem.

Too much Omega-3 can lead to heart problems.

The recommended intake for Omega-3 is 2 grams per day.
There are also 3 different Omega-3 type: ala (from plants) and EPA and DHA (from fish). So optimal Omega-3 sources must have a bit of fish oil.

Also, Canola Oil was breed from rapeseed and then genetically modified to resist pesticides.

It seemed like a really good oil, but I’m against GMO’s and I’m aiming for optimal fats. I would not recommend getting only Canola Oil, but a bit wouldn’t hurt.

my source : http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/the-great-con-ola

Oh jeez. Hopefully not what we’re all thinking. Then the Soylent brand is really in trouble. :slight_smile:

lol, I missed that. Presumably it is indeed fat from human milk. I would guess it is included as a reference to what the optimum fat ratios might be for us, i.e. if its in our species milk, it cant be far off what we should be eating :wink:

I think it might be optimum fat ratios for an infant. that’d make sense. But I’m not so sure about an adult, given that a baby’s needs are much different.

I am currently attempting to slightly alter my recipe due to cost, and I figured I would also clean up some of the things that I am missing as well.

@davidthemaster2
I haven’t been able to find anywhere that recommends 2 grams of Omega-3 per day. The closest I found is WebMD recomends up to 1 gram if you have heart disease, else it is only 500 milligrams.
http://www.webmd.com/heart/news/20090803/daily-omega-3s-recommended-heart

The big issue that I found is that Olive Oil only has .2 grams of Omega-3 per oz.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=75

I think that my recipe has one of the higher amounts of OO in and I am only consuming 4 teaspoons now, but a plan to double that to 8 on my new recipe. Even at 8 tsp’s that is only .27 grams of Omega-3 per day. Which is still half the recommended amounts.
To get 1 gram of Omega-3 from OO I would have to consume almost 30 tsp of OO a day. At that much OO I think something bad could develop.

Looking at flax seed oil it has around 6.4 grams of Omega-3 per oz. Which means that about 1 tsp is close to the amount of Omega-3 the body needs (around 1 gram).

Even all of that being said OO and flax seed oil is still ALA fat and must be converted to DHA for the body to use. The problem is only very small amounts (I haven’t found an actual number) of ALA is converted to DHA. Also the amount of Omega-6 directly affects how much ALA is converted to DHA (in a negative way).

So if I leave the ALA to DHA conversion out of the picture, to get about a 1:1 ratio of O3 and O6 I would need to do 8 tsp of OO and 1 tsp of flax seed oil.

Is it worth it to consume OO and flax seed oil to get my O3 and O6 or should I just use fish oil?

Fish oils are recommended because they are a source of the longer chain fatty acids such as DHA and EPA. Your body doesn’t synthesize these from the type of shorter fatty acids you get in flax oil. If you get cod liver oil, it’s also a good source of preformed vitamin A (meaning you don’t want to take too much of it). Other types of fish oil usually have little to no vitamin A. Fish oil is a bit expensive, but you don’t need much of it to get your RDA, which is 1.6 grams. Also, personally, I’d recommend improving your omega-3/omega-6 fat ratio by lowering your omega-6 rather than increasing your omega-3 much.

If you want to know what mix of fats your really should use, I hate to say it but the recommendations on what fats you should get is a mess of conflicts and controversy, probably more so than any other nutrient. The NIH recommends 17 grams of Omega-6 and 1.6 grams of Omega-3, which is an omega-6/Omega-3 ratio of over 10:1. But there’s abundant research that a ration of under 4:1 has numerous health benefits. To improve your ratio, some people recommend you should up your omega-3 consumption, but there’re risks. It is known, from multiple studies, such as studies of the inuit who have high levels of omega-3 consumption (because they eats lots of fish) that high omega-3 levels slow down blood clotting, and thus can increase your risk of certain types of heart disease. Other people think, on the other hand, that it’s the recommendations on Omega-6 that are seriously inflated, and they recommend getting closer to 2 grams per day.

To add even more controversy, there’s disagreement on saturated fats. The NIH thinks you should consume as little saturated fat as possible, meaning you’d get as much as 70% of your fat as monounsaturated fat, and there is good research on the benefits of a mediterranean diet, of which high monounsaturated fat consumption is one component. But others think that your saturated fat consumption should be much higher, closer to 50%. They base this on, for example the content of breast milk above and on historical data on certain cultures with high saturated fat consumption and low heart disease rates. They also criticize past research because researchers failed for a long time to distinguish naturally saturated fat from trans-fat.

Suffice it to say, the NIH represents the most popular opinions on fat, but recommendations have changed on this have so much over the past few decades that it’s probably safe to say that they will continue to change. I suspect the omega-6 recommendations are seriously inflated and that the risks associated with a diet high in saturated fat are in error, but I’m not a doctor, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Joseph, great post, agree 100% :slight_smile:

Yes, absolutely! Nice to see the whole issue summed up so neatly, we can all benefit from that. Thanks, @JosephK

I have a great interest in oils. Especially since I got my 23andme.com results back and found I am double the average risk for Alzheimers and Type 2 diabetes :(.

Finding the perfect ratio of omega 3,6 would be ideal. It seems like omega 3 and 6 compete with each other

It looks like omega 6 is associated with an increased risk for Alzheimers and omega 3 is associated with a decreased risk.

To add more expert opinions on the question of fat intake, here are some other international recommendations. Things to note are that the Japan Society for Lipid Nutrition recommends much lower omega-6 and much higher omega-3 levels, and that several groups specifically recommend long-chain (LC) omega-3 fatty acids (Eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA], Docosahexaenoic acid [DHA] and DPA [Docosapentaenoic acid]), which the NIH doesn’t currently include.

The European Commission recommends (http://ec.europa.eu/health/archive/ph_determinants/life_style/nutrition/report01_en.pdf):
less than 10% of calories from Saturated fats
4-8% of calories from Omega-6
2 grams of Omega-3
200mg of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids (EPA + DHA).

WHO recommends (http://www.fao.org/docrep/V4700E/V4700E06.htm#Minimum%20desirable%20intakes%20of%20fats%20and%20oils):
at least 15% of calories from fat (at least 20% for women of reproductive age)
Maximum of 35% for active individuals, 30% for sedentary
Saturated fat: less than 10% of calories
Omega-6: 4-10% of calories
Omega-6/Omega-3 ratio: between 5:1 and 10:1

The Australian Ministry of Health recommends (http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/preventative-health-wellness/nutrition/food-and-nutrition-guidelines):
Less than 8-10% of calories from saturated fat
Omega-6: 13g/8g for men/women; or 4-5% of calories (UL: 10%)
Omega-3: 1.3/.8g for men/women; or .4-.5% of calories (UL: 1%)
LC Omega-3 (DHA+EPA+DPA): 610mg/430mg for men/women, with an Upper Limit of 3000mg.

The Japan Society for Lipid Nutrition recommends: Omega-6 should be “3-4% of energy in Japanese people whose omega-3 fatty acid intakes average 2.6 g/day, including about 1 g/day of EPA + DHA.” (http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/omega3fa).

The NIH as I noted above recommends: 20-35% of calories from fat, as little Saturated fat as possible (less than 10% of calories), 17g/11g omega-6 for men/women (5-10% of calories), and 1.6g/1.1g omega-3 for men/women (.6-1.2% of calories).

I too have been researching different fats and their benefits/drawbacks. I have found that nobody agrees on anything.

Studying different diets and extracting the fat contents alone is not sufficient. There is a complex interaction between fats, carbohydrates, and cholesterol, and how your body absorbs them. For example, fiber binds with cholesterol in your intestines and prevents your blood from absorbing most of it: however, it can bind with carbs and enter that way (cholesterol cannot be absorbed directly according to multiple doctors who have told me to get healthy). Looking at a diet high in fat but low in cholesterol can be misleading, as can two high-fat diets with different types of fats. Honestly, more research is needed in this area.

The thing about soylent is you will be consuming little to no cholesterol. The little bit you get through protein powder or whatever else is far below the RDA, which is actually an upper limit, not a recommended amount. That is one of the big issues with fat: in food, it is often found with cholesterol, which is a one-two punch on your arteries.

I am using grapeseed oil. While perhaps not the healthiest, it is very palatable and certainly healthier than the crap I was eating before soylent. As I mentioned in another thread, I will be monitoring my health through regular visits to my primary care physician and regular blood tests for lipids, liver function, thyroid, etc. basically a generally battery of tests covering general health. I will be my own lab rodent.

I’m not sure what the best possible combination of oils are. I currently use a mixture of

• olive oil (55-83% mono., 3.5-21% poly. omega6, ~4.5-20% sat.),
  • flaxseed oil (10-22% unsat. cis, 12–18% poly omega6, 56–71% poly omega3)
  • hemp oil (10-16% mono, 50-70% poly omega6, 15-25% poly omega3, ~10% sat.)

(source: Wikipedia) while I do not measure exactly, i use about 80 to 90% olive oil, and the rest is about the same amount of hemp oil and flaxseed oil.

For frying i use canola, because its supposed to be more temperature stable - i do not recommend it as a single source. you can combine it with coconut to increase the amount of saturated fats. I also do not use fish oil, since i am vegan.

While the omega6/omega3 ratio should be less then 5 [1], it is not clear to me what the ideal amount of omega3 and omega6 is.

[1] http://www.daem.de/publikationen/rationalisierungsschema.php

Has anyone taken a look at Algae Oil to replace the fish oil? Supposedly it is a EPA / DHA fatty acid.

I am still doing some more reading on it, but it might be promising?

I saw the algae oil too. Nordic Naturals, for example, has Algae Omega. It’s a good source of EPA and DHA if you’re vegetarian. It’s recommended to get about 500 mg/day, and I think all soylent should be including them. If you’re not vegetarian, though, the cod liver oil and omega-3 fish oil is less expensive, so that’s what I’m using.