Canola Oil Powder as in Soylent 1.5

I have looked around and can not seem to find a good source of smallish amounts of canola oil powder. That is the only ingredient in my DIY that is oil form and I would like to move to all powder. Has anyone found a source for this ingredient? Apparently @rob has, maybe he can point us in the right direction, though I know they are buying in bulk and I am not.

Concern over canola oil

I was under the impression that they simply mixed oil with maltodextrin at the copacker before blending it with the other ingredients, but after doing a little searching I can’t find any information one way or the other. @Conor may have some insight.

You could potentially make the powdered oil yourself at home if you can’t find a source for it.

Someone posted a video about it a little while back. When I google how to make powdered oil, most of items are talking about powdered olive oil, but I would think it would work the same for canola oil.

I really don’t know much about it, though. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge on where to source it or how to make it yourself will weigh in.

It makes me wonder if what is in soylent is in fact canola mixed with maltodextrin or just canola/rapeseed based or something else entirely. They have never been completely specific about it. The blog post announcing 1.5 under Changes in Powdered Oils section mentions (with typos)

In this release, safflower and flaxseed oil powders were removed and replaced with canola oil powder. This new fatty acid source is supplemented with the existing high oleic sunflower oil and algal oil.

This makes it sound like “canola oil powder” is a single ingredient, but perhaps it is canola oil and maltodextrin mixed as a composite.

I had assumed that, for efficiency, they just emulsified the fat using the maltodextrin that is already in the recipe. When you already have an agent in the mix, why add more?

Sorry, I misread your original post. Unless they changed it up, the powdered oil (introduced in 1.4) is simply oil mixed with maltodextrin. I’m only unsure whether they blend it themselves, which I assume, or if they purchase a premixed blend.

(emphasis mine)

simple as that, thank you very much

I imagine you’d have good luck with mixing the oil and maltodextrin in a food processor. You drizzle the oil in from the top as it’s running, which should keep large clumps from forming. Whatever method you try, I’d be interested in hearing your results.

Only works with tapioca maltodextrin, not corn maltodextrin.

Commercial powdered oils use a process that combines the malto and oil in very fine particles. Doing it yourself will work, but will result in a much coarser powder.

I have NPRI’s powdered canola oil http://www.o2pus.com/about_o2p.html. It is quite smelly, and the minimum order quantity is $1,000. If only it wasn’t so smelly I would use it.

Thank you for that information. Why do you suppose that it’s so smelly?

I still think it is entertaining that the ingredient is being referred to as “powdered oil” even though a large proportion of this composite ingredient may not in fact be oil. The link mentions

O2P POTENCY
Because O2P is manufactured at room temperature, in a controlled, nitrogen-rich atmosphere, there is no change in the oil’s fatty acid or isomer profiles. And there’s zero loss. Load factors (load is the percentage of oil in the powder) can range from 5% to 70%.

what is the percentage for the canola?

The powder I have is 50%, so by weight, it is half malto, half canola oil.

I wonder what percentage of the maltodextrin in Soylent is actually required in order to powder the oils? i.e. how many grams of maltodextrin (carbs) are needed to turn a gram of oils (fat) into powder?

50/50 mix of maltodextrin and oils.

Soo… 4kcal of carbs to encapsulate 9kcal of fat?

Yes.

RL uses 9g maltodextrin to 9g fat.

Very interesting. It might indicate why the levels of fat and carbs are necessarily so closely tied to each other.

Well, it would dictate a minimum amount of carbs (being the amount of powdered fats), but it doesn’t really dictate any specific ratios.