Cardboard Flavor of 1.4

Continuing the discussion from Log your opinions of 1.4 here:

Not from what I’ve tasted. But I’ve only had two servings. I can’t stant this new version. I’m going to finish off my 1.3 and then reevaluate. I hope they make some changes.

Flavor neutral to me does not mean cardboard…Continuing the discussion from Log your opinions of 1.4 here:

Not from what I’ve tasted. But I’ve only had two servings. I can’t
stant this new version. I’m going to finish off my 1.3 and then
reevaluate. I hope they make some changes.

Flavor neutral to me does not mean cardboard…

There are many flavoring suggestions here, you could search around.

That was my very first impression…Cardbord…I’ve been drinking a weeks worth per month since 1.2 and taste has been satisfying. Never thought it would have changed so drastically and weirdly. I’ll add some PB or other flavoring if I have the time but the point of Soylent is for quick/easy on the go food and the previous versions were just fine by themselves. This cardboard base flavor is unfortunate. I bumped up to 2wk per month supply just before 1.4 shipped and I’m gonna man up through it hoping my taste-buds adapt. Just disappointing.

Who ever eats cardboard???

I never liked ANY Soylent flavor. I just add something to mask Soylent taste.

So far I have had 1.1 to 1.3, I has boxes of 1.4 but haven’t eaten any as I got it few days ago but had to take long out of town trip.

I really dislike the flavor of 1.4 as well, compared to the flavor of v 1.3.

Watering it down really worked out for me (in more ways than one).

Cardboard flavor suggest oxidation to me.

Exactly my position. If I have to spend time and money finding flavorings to make 1.4 palatable, then I may as well just buy Boost, or have a TV dinner, or cook.

1.4 defeated the purpose of Soylent, IMO. It needs to be at least ok on it’s own. I hope 1.5 is better.

No oxidation unless it came from the factory that way. This was a fresh batch. Made in the evening on one day, refrigerated overnight and consumed the next day. The bag was not breached until I opened it the day I prepared it.

I don’t want to suggest that people stick with 1.4 for a few days because they seem to be adamant in their displeasure, but it really has grown on me. I wasn’t wild about the flavor/texture the first couple days, but honestly it seems like a non-issue now. Of course I wasn’t literally vomiting like some people so who knows. I even mix it in the evening and let it get thick overnight. YOLO, etc.

I do plan on experimenting with vanillin once it gets here, but only because I already ordered it so I might as well. Also I suspect it will make a better vanilla shake than adding vanilla extract.

I added some sugar free “chocolate syrup” tonight. It helped, but it’s still not as good as 1.3, and definitely not as convenient. I think the entire purpose of Soylent has been defeated by 1.4. And no, I’ve had it for a couple of weeks, the flavor has not grown on me at all. I find it more and more difficult to force myself to drink it. I’ve been gravitating towards Boost, and regular food more and more.

I probably won’t order it again unless they fix this soon.

Got it. You hate it. I could tell because you wrote that in this thread three times in the last 55 minutes.

I hope v1.5 works out better for you.

So its been 30 days since I got my first batch of 1.4 and commented my initial reaction on this thread(its like 2nd from the top). I have continued using for 1 or 2 meals a day and decided I should do a followup. I think the biggest problem is not that the flavor is bad but completely different form the previous version drinking 1.3 for breakfast followed with 1.4 for lunch was a shock to the system.

However, after a few days of continued use without any flavorings and it was a non-issue. The taste is neutral enough(unless you didn’t put enough water in it) and given the option I would never want to go back to the old taste if that meant we had to deal with the oil bottle mixing again. I need Soylent for my on the go lifestyle and the bottles were just one more thing I had to remember to grab and carry around.

Moral of the story, give it time and opportunity to adapt to your taste-buds before complaining and raving like a loony.

Glad you adjusted. Some of us haven’t. Many people hate brussels sprouts and asparagus, I am not one of those people, however, I have not gotten used to 1.4. I’m also not a loony. :smile:

People are different. Experience taste and smell differently. Don’t call people ranting loonies because they can’t adjust to 1.4.

Um…

@SwankCircus might have been calling himself a raving loony. He starts off his post by saying that he disagrees with his own initial reaction.

ok, I missed that. anyway…

Haha yea nothing personal @proeber I was just poking fun at myself, besides just remember Luna Lovegood was always called Loony Lovegood and she proved that being called “Loony” is actually pretty cool

nothing personal taken. I see that now. I missed it at first.

I am a bit different myself, but I tend to keep to myself.