Carrying Soylent 2.0 shipments from the post office

I’m a college student who doesn’t own a car, and my post office is about a 10 minute walk away from my apartment. How large of a Soylent 2 box can you comfortably carry? I know I was fine carrying 12 at once, but I’m concerned about how much more I could order before it gets impractical.

Do you have to receive shipments at the post office? Fedex delivers in the US. You could order multiple subscriptions that would be delivered every week or two. I would try 24 bottles next time and see how it goes.

Unfortunately I do, my apartment’s mailing address is on campus and all packages are routed to this post office.

Someone awhile back mentioned using a granny cart (not sure what the official name for it is) for carrying heavy things a distance.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81unu-mygbL.SL1500.jpg

I had a feeling there was already a similar thread, thanks for the link! I’ll probably try weekly shipments of 24 bottles at first.

A better question is “How large of a Soylent 2 box can you comfortably carry?”. The answer would depend on how strong you are, how long your arms are, and how inventive you are.

@nicolasmccurdy An ever better question is bro, do you even lift?

(I had to stop like two or three times carrying 48 bottles of 2.0 during what would normally be a five-minute walk. As you may have surmised, I do not lift.)

Without adding any tools to the equation I would say 36 is the most you would want to order at a time if you’re going to have to carry them, because that’s how many they’ll put inside one of the larger brown boxes. At 36 you’re talking about 32ish pounds of liquid so with packaging it’s maybe 40 pounds, which makes it more of a question of grip than of weight.

It’s not a matter of where it grips it, it’s a simple matter of weight ratios!

It could be carried by an African swallow!

I carried a large box of 60 bottles about 100 feet and up a flight of stairs to my appt. They drop most of my packages in the leasing office :frowning: It was super tough, but I felt strong afterwards :stuck_out_tongue: Definitely could not do it any further…

More on topic, do you have a decent sized bag or backpack? That might help you, if you could fit at least one box of 12 in there, leaving your hands free for the other 12, or potentially 24, but 10 minutes is a long walk, so 36 total seems a bit much.

When I miss a delivery, I use my granny cart to bring it from the post office. My granny cart is a small one(I need it to fit nicely on the bus) so I have to remove the outer shipping box, but it can hold 3 boxes of 2.0 easily. It can handle 4 boxes with a little bit of creativity, and it would be conceivable to carry a 5th by hand if you were so inclined. I usually just get 2 boxes at a time, though.

This time of year there is also the option of using a taboggan and some rope, if the sidewalks aren’t feasible for a granny cart.

Is it really called a “granny cart”? (like I used!)
Should we come up with some other name for it? That seems a bit demeaning. Unless there are some especially strong grannies out there.

Well, when I call it a granny cart everyone knows what I’m talking about. Even though most of the people who use them around here are actually young university students…

Normally the product label says something like “shopping cart” or “grocery cart” but people tend to associate those terms with the carts that belong to the store

My order of 36 bottles was 42 lbs according to the fedex manifest. So you’re looking at about 14 lbs per 12-bottle box. I agree, even with the “granny cart” you probably won’t want more than 36 at a time because it comes in a pretty big outer box that will probably just barely fit in the cart.

Depending on how much one wants to carry, and how much room one has at one’s place of residence, various types of other carts besides the “granny cart” could be employed. Some would be more humorous than others for bystanders.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tAixqhMML.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516705dVgAL.SL1000.jpg

http://www.ukhs.tv/COLRM35005a2.jpg

I actually considered wagons and the like, but I was surprised to find out that they’re actually pretty expensive. I now understand why my parents refused to buy me one as a child. My granny cart was $15; my first one lasted 3 years with a great deal of abuse(heavy groceries, cat food/litter, and other heavy stuff going through pot holes, over curbs, and on/off of buses) and I got an identical one when a 40lb bag of cat litter and a collision with a telephone pole caused the old one to fall apart completely. Maybe one of those expensive wagons would last longer, but I doubt it would last long enough to beat a $15 granny cart. Wouldn’t fit on the bus, either.