Category definition for Soylent

Any content specific to the study, use, and manufacture of Soylent.

Do we really need a "soylent" category?

I assume discussion of potential Soylent sales packaging are appropriate under the “manufacture” rubric.

Side note; I find it amusing that the discussion board spell check doesn’t recognize the name “Soylent” yet.

I would like to suggest that the packaging and preparation model used by the powdered mixed drink product Crystal Light would seem the most user friendly/safety method readily available. Once a formulation that contains 90%+ of the “average” daily nutrition needs for an adult (yes, the questions assumed here are legion), mix the contents of a single container (and a retail package would consist of 7 daily powder mix containers) with the appropriate quantity of water in a pitcher, stir/shake well and bon appetit. Drink as large a portion as fits your personal schedule, so long as you drink the entire quantity over the course of the “day” (I assume Soylent will work just as well for night workers too).

A question occurs; has there been much experimentation with drink temperature when being consumed? Has anyone tried a mug full warmed (in the microwave for simplicities sake) for a chilly morning/afternoon pick-me-up? I’m guessing over ice will be a popular option this summer, but can soylent itself be frozen into cubes? I’m thinking iced tea over Soylent ice cubes might prove an attractive drink option during the hot days of the year.

The DNews testers seemed to enjoy ‘iced soylent’. My heat tolerance tests left me with a number of unpleasant reactions so I do not recommend cooking it, but sub 200 F should be fine.

Was this the source of the “noxious fumes” at your place I saw on Twitter/DNews? I had a suspicion…

(and a retail package would consist of 7 daily powder mix containers)
with the appropriate quantity of water in a pitcher, stir/shake well
and bon appetit.

Do you mean you also buy water and a pitcher with soylent?
I think it would be better to not have daily containers so everyone can dose it right for their personal caloric need.
I would like to see it shipped as 5kg boxes or something similar with a good instruction.