CBD oil and Soylent

Has anybody tried using low-THC medical CBD oil in Soylent? If so, did it work well?

What would the goal be? As a source of calories it’s a little on the pricey side.

Personally I’d prefer some high THC oil in my soylent. Add 6% abv and half a gram of caffeine and that just about checks all my boxes. Mmm alcoholic smoothy with a hint of bong water.

I am permanently disabled due to epilepsy (grand mal seizures). My medicine somewhat controls it, but I still have about a seizure a year. I’m basically out of options to try other medicine, and the decisions may come down to trying low-thc cbd oil in an experimental research program if I can get in one or brain surgery. For the most part, it’s the cbd that is claimed to be beneficial (although some thc is apparently necessary). I don’t want to get high as drugs aren’t my thing, but if it could stop my seizures that would be cool.

Where do you live? Just my unsolicited opinion but getting high is totally alright. Here in California a medical recommendation is easy to come by.

As a medicine I think it’s wonderful. If messing with your cannabinoid levels cures what ails you I’d try that before messing with more necessary chemical systems in the brain. I think you should give it a go if possible.

I live in Wisconsin where it’s illegal, but I don’t really want to be high. I’m more interested in the medical part of it. This isn’t meant to be a recreational drug post.

EDIT: And honestly, you probably shouldn’t go around telling people that it’s okay for them to be high when they would literally need to be on the medication 24/7, because that kind of message could do a lot of damage to someone.

Good luck with the epilepsy. That’s a major challenge.

Did you catch the Fresh Air episode (available as a podcast or streaming on their website) earlier this week with Dr. David Casarett, discussing his new book examining medical marijuana? Among other things he talks about the non-THC cannabinoids, and how we’ve barely begun to examine most of them (we haven’t even identified all of them yet). It seems likely that many of marijuana’s medical properties will be down to noneuphoric cannabinoids (and some may well be down to THC too).

You certainly wouldn’t be the first person to spend the rest of their life high on cannabis. It wouldn’t be that big a deal if you weren’t personally opposed.

If it prevents you from seizing and lightens the load on your liver you’d think you wouldn’t worry about a mild buzz from a flower. But I’m definitely a cannabis proponent and habitual user so take my opinion for what it’s worth.

Yes, people like you love to use people like me as your way of trying to get recreational marijuana legalized, and what it does is create an anti-medicinal marijuana environment. Did you know that one of the leading arguments for classifying marijuana as a Schedule I drug is the high likelihood that it will be abused? And to give the advice that someone should be willing to get high-THC when that isn’t necessary, because it’s the CBD that is thought to be what helps prevent the seizures, could be very dangerous and is irresponsible. What do you say you find a moral compass? You don’t even know it would be a “mild buzz” as you don’t have the first clue what you are talking about on this stuff in regards to actual medication. If you did, you’d be talking completely differently. Telling someone it’s okay to have a “mild buzz” from THC 24/7 is like telling someone it’s okay to have a “mild buzz” from alcohol 24/7.

Come on, man. I can see if you are against the use of marijuana, but saying he has no moral compass is a bit over the top.

I’m not trying to use you in any sense of the word. Quite to the contrary I wish you good health and free agency. I apologize for upsetting you.

The criteria for classification as a schedule I drug specifies that a chemical/compound has no medical use. There’s no reasonable argument for its criminal schedule for that reason alone.

Furthermore in order to accurately describe abuse you would first have to find an unhealthy dose of cannabis, which to my knowledge hasn’t been done. Other than the risks associated with chronic smoke exposure I don’t think anyone has ever shown non allergic toxicity to cannabinoids.

My advice was just that there isn’t anything wrong with getting high. It’s not going to hurt my feelings if you continue living your life cannabis free. Plenty of people partake (some excessively) safely though.

I’ve grown weed, made plenty of oil, and purchased medicinal cannabis all over Southern California. That doesn’t make me an expert but I’m willing to wager my stash I’ve got more information on the subject than the average bear.

In 1830 America hit an all time high of seven gallons per capita pure ethanol consumption per year. That’s quite a bit more than a mild buzz, especially if you assume (or should I say hope!) women and children were drinking a little less than that.

If you had to keep a one beer buzz on all day for medical reasons I think that would probably be acceptable.

S/He basically told me to abuse medicine. S/He told me that prescriptions are “easy to come by” and that it’s “totally alright to get high”. Trying to help people be healthy is one thing, but when you basically encourage someone to try to get a prescription in order to abuse it by getting part of the plant you don’t need (high-THC) for recreational purposes over the parts of the plant that are needed (CBD), that’s lacking moral compass, especially when you consider that (meaning abuse) is one of the major reasons that medicinal marijuana isn’t legalized in many parts of the country. I think I’m justified in saying s/he lacks moral compass.

I believe that there is a producer of 20:1 cbd:thc oil in Colorado. If I run across his information i’ll forward it to you. There’s a pharmaceutical company in the UK that produces 100:1 cbd:thc oil but, unfortunately, it’s almost impossible to get, especially for U.S. citizens.

If you only wish me good health why would you recommend I take high-THC CBD oil over low-THC CBD oil? You were obviously insinuating I use it for recreational purposes, and when you consider I’d end up being high 24/7, you are not watching out for my health.

This is one of the arguments (whether it’s legitimate or not), and a high likelihood of abuse is one another one of the arguments (which your statements give credibility to unfortunately).

CBD oil is put in foods, exposed to heat, and consumed through edibles typically. Smoking anything is highly unhealthy as it messes with your respiratory system (even being around bon fires or forest fires too long can do that to you). Also, you are wrong on your definition of abuse. Abuse of a prescription is simply misusing or mis-prescribing the prescription. This is the problem when people use medicinal purposes as their cover for what they really want to be a recreational thing. You don’t understand the differences between someone who actually needs it and someone who does it for fun. For someone who actually needs CBD for seizures, being high all the time would be a severe detriment as it would impact their daily life quite significantly as a side effect. You have forgotten that you have choice of when you want to get high but people who use it for medicine have to take it, it loses its social benefits, etc.

See how you are taking this in an entirely recreational path? And you say you are looking out for my health. Disgusting.

The fact that you aren’t aware of your ignorance on MEDICINAL CBD makes it that much worse.

I don’t know how most of that relates to medicinal CBD oil, but to the last part, you do realize it’s the THC that gets you high, right? And it’s the CBD that is thought to help people with seizures (with a possibility of a small amount of THC needed as a catalyst but yet not be enough to get you high), so how in the world would it be medically necessary to have the high-THC? Answer: It’s not.

Yeah, I can’t even own it in Wisconsin so that’s why I was wondering if other people had tried it in Soylent.

Not related to CBD (I have no useful knowledge there), but as to epilepsy there have been other dietary changes found quite beneficial. I don’t recall if the studies extended to adults, but do know that at least in children a ketogenic diet has been found to reduce or eliminate their epilepsy, and has been used effectively for decades as a treatment.

The real reason is Nixon didn’t know where to place it, so he placed it in Schedule I and setup a commision to determine where it should be placed. Here is what the commision found:

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/nc/ncrec1_11.htm

The total prohibition scheme was rejected primarily because no sufficiently compelling social reason, predicated on existing knowledge, justifies intrusion by the criminal justice system into the private lives of individuals who use marihuana. The Commission is of the unanimous opinion that marihuana use is not such a grave problem that individuals who smoke marihuana, and possess it for that purpose, should be subject to criminal procedures.

The reason it stayed Schedule I is irrational - political, anti-racial, etc. If I had a condition like that, I would move to a state where the medicine was legal.

I had a similar idea back in the old’n days when Soylent still had separate oil bottles. Unfortunately got a similar response to what is going on in this thread. I don’t see why adding CBD oil wouldn’t work. I guess it would depend on the instructions that came with the treatment.

I use it for recreational purposes, which I highly recommend you try because you seem really anxious and worked up. It won’t kill you I promise. I’m not a doctor or the most “legitimate” MMJ patient so I don’t have any experience with CBD oil specifically. Wanting to speak to what I know I obviously mentioned recreational use.

Maybe in Auschwitz medical ward. While I consult my doctor regularly I don’t go in for a prescription for greasy chili fries, whisky, or cigarettes. Since you can abuse all of those things and its possible to medically describe an overdose I’m inclined to classify and judge cannabis the same. Except we have less evidence for cannabis causing disease than any of those other vices.

Why should you tell me how and when to use cannabis? Because I can’t be trusted to use this dangerous medicine at my own discretion? Totally ridiculous.

You compared being high on cannabis all the time to being drunk all the time. I merely cited historic context that there was a time in this very country when everyone was drunk as a skunk all the time and things didn’t grind to an immediate anarchic hell.

I’m not a doctor or a cbd oil user. I am aware of what CBD is, how it’s isolated, and why someone would be interested in it but you seem to be all up to date on your wikipedia level information. I was merely speaking to my experience not trying to peer pressure you into trying that dope all the kids are on.

Again I didn’t mean to upset you. Please calm down and stop blaming me personally for the nation’s laws and counter culture.

EDIT: this conversation is a sidebar now and totally off topic. Please PM me if you wanted to continue. I would certainly benefit from hearing your expounded opinions on the matter. Sorry for dragging your thread off topic.

This is an argument about the history when I was talking about modern times and why it’s still Schedule I.

Except that there isn’t much known about how this stuff actually helps people. I’ve looked at some of the studies and they are often based on populations of around 20. Not only that, there are many types of seizures from different things. Some people get seizures from bright lights, some people from heavy lifting, and many other ways. I’m not sure what all the groups are called, but I know one of the groups is called refractory seizures. You also have epilepsy and non-epilepsy (if someone has seizures from insulin, that’s not epilepsy) and all of these other categorizations. In some studies, some people have been helped by the CBD oil (CBD is a part of cannibis just like THC, but it’s the part that is thought to be more beneficial than the more recreational THC part of the plant that actually gets you high), but some people in these studies have actually gotten worse. It’s not as simple as going to another state to get medicated, because it might actually make the patient worse. On top of that, many people with seizures are on 3 or more forms of medication. (I’ve been on 1-2 and am 2 right now.) So one of the big questions would be how does it work in conjunction with other types of medicine? The political climate may be the reason we don’t have much research on this stuff, but the fact is these are real questions we don’t have real answers to, and when someone’s life is at stake, it’s hard to say, “I’d just move and get medicated.” You don’t actually know it would help you, and you don’t know it wouldn’t hurt you. And the only reason I’m going down this path is because it sounds like nobody has actually tried this stuff in Soylent.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get into Soylent until v1.5 literally just started shipping (convenient marker I guess). I’m not sure what you mean by separate oil bottles. There was a powder and then something like an oil to mix in after you mixed the water in? I did see on another liquid meal replacement like Soylent that there was an oil, I forgot what it was called, but they took away their oil as well. I guess it’s too inconvenient or something. One possible thing about CBD oil is that I believe it has to be reacted with heat, but I’m not actually sure. That would be a bit of a problem if true since Soylent is drank cold, and I’m not sure if you can just boil it in water or something and then add the powder after and refrigerate. Would the CBD still keep its benefits? I’m not sure.

Great point, it may or may not help you.

Quite false.