Changing the flavour of soylent

I’m using a recipe which pretty much just tastes like oats - despite the fact that it contains both cocoa powder and cinnamon (I believe they’re both only used for flavouring).

I’ve read that honey helps, but I don’t want to use it since my recipe has 0 grams of sugar.

I was thinking of using vanilla essence. Has anyone tried this? How much do you need to add to make it taste like vanilla? Is this healthy? Vanilla essence is 33% alcohol - apparently one tablespoon of vanilla essence has half a standard drink in it. This can’t be healthy long term.

Any other tips for making soylent taste like something different?

1/3 a tablespoon of alcohol is not going to be unhealthy long term. In fact, it’s going to benefit your Soylent with antimicrobial properties, better taste (alcohol enhances and carries flavors very well.)

A little alcohol is good. A little honey would be good as well. The trick with carbs and sugar is to not unbalance your diet. To sweeten it, you could use Splenda (the best tasting sugar replacement, imo.)

A half tsp of butter in place of an equal portion of oil would probably taste great.

Orange or lemon zest might also blend well with the flavors. Experiment!

I encountered the same problem since I was avoiding sugar content in my own version. The little bit of xylitol that’s in there is to balance some of the sourness of the protein isolate and micro-powders.

The track I’ve been taking when it comes to soylent is this: who says it has to be sweet? or even a shake? I’ve had great success so far making savory baked soylent by using spice blends with next to no salt.

For instance, just yesterday I had teriyaki soylent, onion soup and feta soylent, and pizza soylent (which was the best one). Since the mix is flour based, all I did was mix it into a batter and baked it in a pyrex container until it started to harden.

Looking at most ratios, including Rob’s released macros, about 1/3 of the mix is maltodextrin or some other sugar-carb. If you want a sweet soylent without the oaty taste, then you would mix in half your powder volume in sweetener (about 1/4 cup per 1/2 cup of powder). I did this and made some awesome soylent brownies!

As a foodie, the thing I like about soylent is that it’s very versatile - the right mix is a neutral background for just about anything you’d like!

Oh, and I also made a slightly alcoholic amaretto soylent yesterday…

I like cinnamon in mine.

Please don’t add honey or sugars to your soylent, sugar spikes your blood glucose and is actually quite bad for you. :slight_smile: (to give an example, my blood glucose shot to 200 after ingesting soylent with 1T of brown sugar, without the sugar it only spiked to 150) If you didn’t know these spikes lead to insulin resistance (I think or is it sensitivity) which can lead to diabetes.

About the vanilla, 1T is WAYYYY more then you need lol! More like 1/2 a teaspoon is what you should try! That stuff is very strong! And that amount of alcohol is perfectly safe, even good for you, as mentioned previously.

Actually I found dehydrated fruit powders on amazon. I tried working with the manufacturer to get detailed nutritional information but they were not much help but did explain their process of dehydration and grounding into powder. I took the USDA database of the raw fruit and converted it to the powder using the calories listed on the can. Validation came from USDA has an entry for ‘bananas, dehydrated, or banana powder’ and ‘bananas, raw’. The conversion was close enough that any discrepancies were so small that it was not material in the overall nutritional profile. Cost is a factor as depending on the amount of fruit you use can add $1 (USD) per day.

Also since I am a fan of bananas I use 50 grams in a daily consumption that I was able to rebalance People Chow 2.2.0 to my nutritional needs (1,500 kcal per day) since bananas are like a super fruit.

Some of my older soylent recipes are getting a tablespoon of fruit so that I can consume it and not go to waste, many were not tasty at all.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/fruits-berries-herbs-veggies

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/banana-power-people-chow-220-1500-kcal

Here is the super fruit version, cost is $11.88 per day so I will have to source the dried fruits elsewhere, there seem to be cheaper sources. Peoples chow has 300 g of masa in it, while cheap, it is not the best tasting. Adding fruits and berries masa is down to 47 g which is much more palatable.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/fruit-berry-power-people-chow-220-1500-kcal

Lately I added cacoa, cinnamon and maple syrup to my soylent. A true trinity.

try to ad a flavored whey protein or any a flavored maltodextrin powder. it’s cheaper and easier to control the content

Well, I tried vanilla essence and it did nothing. Tasted exactly the same. The other ingredients are just too overpowering.

I’m going to buy some banana protein flavouring (just the flavour itself - already have unflavoured protein) and see if that helps.

try to mix your unflavored whey protein with a flavored whey protein.

in my mix i have 100g unflavored and 50g strawberry flavored

Fruit sugars are not good sources of carbohydrates. For flavoring, they can be fine, but fructose is not something you want a lot of in your diet.

I was under the impression that fruit sugars (Fructose) is not the same as high fructose corn syrup (blend of fructose and glucose) nor table sugar (sucrose). As long as my total carb intake are within the 50/30/20 ratio would that not mean I am fine. All the searching on the internet says fruit sugars (carbs) are fine.

I am not a nutritionist so any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

Fructose, specifically, is terrible for you. Sugar can be, depending on how it’s ingested. All fruit sugars are not fine - Fructose is really, really not good for regular consumption. There’s a ton of misinformation out there because fructose is such a useful product. The sad part is that it is quite literally chronically toxic. Incorporating it into a regular diet is bad for your liver, can cause weight gain, and produce symptoms similar to chronic alcoholism.

Sugars in general aren’t bad. Corn syrup, sans fructose, is actually a pretty decent source of carbs (with fiber, etc to correct its effective GI.) Fructose particularly is just insidious.

I use stevia + cinnamon. Tastes good, no sugar.

I recommend against Splenda or Nutrasweet since I looked back at how I became insulin resistant (type 2 diabetes) and realized the connection between those sweeteners and my disease. Stimulating the “sweet” nerves signals the liver indirectly to be ready for a bunch of sugar to come by. Training the body against this is not a good idea. Anyway, I prefer stevia as a sweetener, because it’s not as sharp, and it tastes better to me. But in any case, I try not to eat anything with a sweet flavor unless it also has at least a bit of regular sugar or fast starch with it.

Well, after lots of experimentation and wasting ingredients, I’ve worked it out.

I bought banana flavour from here:

It’s REALLY highly concentrated. The smell was so overpowering when I opened the bag that it almost made my eyes water.

I add 1.5g to each meal (so 4.5g per day). My recipe has gone from being so horrible that I usually had to throw some of it out to being enjoyable. It pretty much has the taste and consistency of a banana smoothie now.

No offense, @Foomf , but anecdotal informal analysis of your own experience doesn’t have anything to do with whether or not the sweeteners are bad.

You’re forgetting that these are not in isolation, but accompanying good nutrition. Splenda is good because it has no caloric input, pretty much acts as fiber, and has no adverse side effects with regular usage. There’s no metabolic interactions. Stevia is similar.

Adding Splenda to an otherwise healthy meal will not affect it one way or the other, in terms of nutrition.

The paper foomf provides below demonstrates evidence of adverse metabolic reactions from artificial sweeteners, splenda in particular. Good to know!

I recommend erythritol for a sweetener, I add it to my tea all the time.

Quote: [Erythritol] “Doesn’t cause cavities, and hasn’t been implicated in fibromyalgia, preterm birth, headaches, hypertension, brain disorders, and platelet disorders.”

“The problem with mannitol and other polyols such as xylitol and sorbitol is that they aren’t absorbed and so can cause gastrointestinal symptoms lower down in the colon.”

Edit: I should note that erythritol is not very sweet, only 60% that of sugar, but at least it doesn’t have the harmful effects of other sweeteners, all of which seem to have a downside.

I’m thinking of using flavored Stevia (Whole Foods sells it in concentrated liquid form). There are lots of flavors in their stock.

DaVinci Gourmet offer a wide variety of flavours and are relatively inexpensive. They’re available in both Splenda-flavoured sugar free versions, and cane sugar sweetened versions.