Chewing promotes neurogenesis. Bad news for Soylent?

Just something I stumbled upon on the Internet today. I like the idea of Soylent, but maybe a liquid diet is not practical.

Interestingly, food texture also has an impact on [adult hippocampal neurogenesis] AHN; rats fed with a soft diet, as opposed to a solid/hard diet, exhibit decreased hippocampal progenitor cell proliferation. The authors hypothesize that chewing resulting in cell proliferation is related to corticosterone levels [4]. Interestingly, independent studies have shown impairment in learning and memory abilities with similar soft diets [59, 114]. If chewing plays a role in AHN, these data could be particularly relevant to the ageing population with cognitive decline where dental weakening might limit the chewing ability. SOURCE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2775886/

Soylent & Neurogenesis

The majority of our beta testers still consume a not-insignificant amount of traditional food. Similarly, many took to chewing gum as a means to keep their jaws busy.

Regardless, very interesting article!

Just chew gum. Eat celery. While an interesting article, and I thank you for it, does not deter me in the slightest from consuming soylent. Plus I am only planning eating soylent for about 10-15 meals a week.

I intend to go 100% Soylent just as quickly as I possibly can, though it remains to be seen if I’ll have “cravings” for “real food”. If I need to chew, that’s way WAY too easy an issue to solve, to even remotely consider it a problem for Soylent. Xylitol gum anyone?

Seems that my Robobread idea is the best solution after all, and for 4 times less cost at that.

I find some nice Trident White gum after a shake is perfect. Get a fresh mouth, teeth whitening and keep four jaw ready to go!

As much of a massive bread consumer as I am, I’m not going to bake my own bread. Soylent is a way better and more appealing choice for me personally.

Manganese overdose is not a good thing

But you wouldn’t, the machine does, you just put the stuff in.

Isn’t only half of manganese absorbed via whole wheat and other nuts and grains?
And then there is the baking…
So, as webmd says - [quote]At doses slightly higher than the recommended dose, these products provide more than the Tolerable Upper Limit (UL) for adults, 11 mg of manganese per day.[/quote]

Also - [quote]There are no reports of manganese toxicity just from food sources, according to the Linus Pauling Institute.[/quote]

Yep, very familiar with bread machines… my household had them starting in the late 80s. As cool as they were at first, they gradually became more trouble than they were worth and got used less and less. I’m not gonna spend the time it takes to put in the ingredients (plus of course the time it takes to buy them all, measure them out, clean up, etc.). Soylent beats bread machine for me every single time. And I love fresh bread.

Soylent FTW! :smiley:

I think your bread is pretty cool. I have been following your posts whenyou make them about it. But it isnt remotely as close as convenient as soylent is.

Woah, this is a serious issue for those planning to feed their pet rats Soylent and are concerned about their cognitive health.

ah ok then awsomesauce

awesomesauce… isn’t that a synonym for Soylent?? :smiley:

So, why exactly are you mentioning technologies and materials that were used 20-30 years ago?

I said starting in the late 80s, not strictly in the late 80s.

As a dentist I find this idea fascinating. We all are taught that rat studies cannot be totally trusted when applied to humans but they most certainly are a great help in modelling various situations we find of interest. Still there is some doubt about correspondence. In all of my years of study and clinical practice I never heard of or made a connection between dementia and dental occlusion. It would seem that denture wearers, those who have no teeth at all and hardly any “chewability” at all, would be at a much higher risk of dementia if this proposition were true. On the other hand, those long suffering bruxers (night time grinders) would have a wonderful payoff in protection against maladies of the ageing nervous system. I never saw either of these conditions in my years of experience, which, of course, does not make the idea spurious. But I am doubtful, subjectively. Still, fascinating.

Rat studies are suspected when it comes to testing the effects of “compound x”. Typically they give the rodents such a ridiculously high dose that when scaled up to human size it works out to an amount that would be near impossible to get. On the other hand from what I’ve heard rats and mice have similar brain chemistry. So tests in that area may be more valid.

One of the problems I have with this study is humans have other means of mental stimulation than chewing. It may be the stimulation that’s important not the chewing specifically that’s important.

As a dentist let me ask you a more general question about teeth. In the past we chewed as much as we did because we didn’t have a choice. You (generally) had to chew to eat. However that doesn’t mean that that amount of chewing was optimal, rather it’s just what we did because we had no choice.

From the perspective of teeth is there an optimal amount of chewing, or an optimal range of chewing, above which is too much and below which is too little?

I don’t know if the teeth of old people wear out or not but if they do it seems that people doing less chewing throughout their lives would result in less worn out teeth in the later stages of live, assuming the logic is that straightforward.