Chia Seeds for omega 3

Would this be a economical solution for the vegans here? I personally would be fine with the fish oil but I would like the idea of not using any animals if it was possible as well.

Chia is a good source of omega 3s. My problem with including it in my balance is that it is also high in calcium and other bits of my formula have been using that allotment up to the UTL. I’ve had better luck including hemp hearts in my recipes because it has both Omega 6 and Omega 3. The downside of hemp hearts is that they have enough surface oil where they probably need refrigeration where it seems like Chia keeps it inside the seed until it is exposed to water.

Here are my current notes on hemp seed (the producer referenced below is Manitoba Harvest):

The Omega fat percentages are a guess. Hemp hearts supposedly contain about 47% oil, 78% of which is Omega or Essential Fats. The same source indicates that for a larger dose of hemp hearts, 15 g. polyunsaturated fat can be broken down into 11.4 g. omega 6 and 3.6 g. omega 3. This is approximately square with the producer’s claim that the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios are 3.75 to 1. So, we use this ratio in conjunction with the amount of fat that is polyunsaturated to make our guess for the hemp hearts.

It is expected that the Hemp Hearts (as an agricultural product) will have some potassium. I’d calculated that value once, but it seems to have gone missing.

Cha cha cha chia!

Sorry, I had to.

Well the other cool thing about chia seeds is that actually taste good and have a good texture once soaked :wink: I dont know about hemp hearts flavor…

Economical? No.

Chia is very expensive.

Flaxseed oil is much cheaper, serving for serving.

Economical depends on source and aims. The local Costco sells Chia at $1.54 per 100g and Hemp Hearts for $1.91 per 100g. Both are less than it would cost for a similar amount of meat. That being said, perhaps g for g of Omega 3, flax seed oil is cheaper. Then again, the ALA is about all you are getting. Chia doesn’t have much else in the way of nutrients… but hemp hearts do. However, Chia has the advantage in being stored without refrigeration and not needing to be stored separate from the powder. Hemp probably can go a short while without refrigeration, and doesn’t need to be stored in a separate container. I find the chia seeds to have basically no taste. Hemp is unique in flavor, but not unpleasant.