Chinese ingredients?

Given the constant horror stories of adulterations, tainted products, and irresponsible production practices from Chinese foodstuffs manufacturers, can we get a list of sources for each ingredient in Soylent? This article http://qz.com/171454 highlights issues with Chinese sources of fish oil. There are many, many other examples.
Now that the ingredients are finalized and production is under way, please reveal to your customers who your suppliers are and provide us with peace of mind about the quality of the ingredients.

Has that been a secret? I’ve seen RFI listed as their supplier a lot. Like, enough times that I just opened a random thread because I couldn’t remember the exact name of the company, and found it immediately.

http://www.rfiingredients.com

Maybe you’re suggesting that it isn’t their only supplier? I’m not sure if it is, but maybe be more specific and ask where particular ingredients you’re worried about come from.

I don’t think a simple list of ingredient/supplier is too much to ask for.

I think it’s pretty cool that they’ve given us a forum to ask for things at all, personally. We aren’t actually entitled to answers, although a lot of people seem to forget that. The Soylent team goes above and beyond by keeping an eye on this forum and answering questions when needed. They do it because they’re cool, not because they have to.

I was wrong about RFI, btw. They’re the packer, not the supplier. RFI is the one who orders the stuff from suppliers. Maybe send them an email? They know who their suppliers are better than anyone on here.

Yes they have answered a lot of questions. This is good. I have concerns, I’d like them addressed and I’m sure others would like to have this info for peace of mind.
As for being entitled to answers, as customers, yes, we are. If they don’t choose to give them, then that speaks a lot about how they deal with their customers, and will hurt their business.

Often the actual source of ingredients (for all food products not just Soylent) is proprietary because of business contracts. The Soylent Team and/or RFI may give some of this out (at least to the country of origin level), but they don’t have to.

As to whether it will hurt their business, it won’t from where I’m sitting.

Eve

Personally, I’m not particularly concerned who their suppliers are. They’re running contaminant testing (toxins, metals, biological, etc) on the individual sources, and randomly on the finished product. It’d be neat to know the suppliers, but in my opinion safety has been accounted for regardless.

You may be curious but certainly not entitled to know suppliers. I am sure you don’t contact any of your currently prepared food bought who their suppliers are.

Dear Muscle Milk (insert food manufacturer),
Please provide a list of your suppliers and post them on the internet so that anyone can negotiate their own contracts with them and bypass you.

Thank you,
John, the not so valuable customer

Beside we already know where: Soylent is people. Version 1.0 apparently is Chinese people but I believe their nutritional value is similar to that of any human. I have heard taste may vary depending on region where they are raised.

Humor aside, with the large number of news stories about tainted food products from china, it is a valid concern to me and it should be for you. If they really want to keep their suppliers a secret, I’d be satisfied with a statement that none of their sources are from china. I’d prefer they all be from the USA or other countries with regulatory bodies like the FDA.

As to their testing, the test methods are known and unscrupulous manufacturers find workarounds to game the system:

I really feel like, if you are genuinely worried about it, this question would be better answered by the RFI people. They’re the ones who deal with the suppliers, and I don’t believe their people read these forums. Here is an email for their customer service: peninac@rfiingredients.com

Anyway, didn’t Soylent get certified organic status? Is that really something you can get if you’re sourcing from questionable places?

I’d say tag @JulioMiles in to this thread, and he can probably provide/obtain whatever regional info is available within public domain.

This. Our ingredients come from the US and China, and we will be posting relevant test results once they have been run.

Thank you very much for the information and transparency. I understand the need for business secrets.
I’m very disappointed, however, to hear that there are Chinese ingredients.
Given the abysmal history of quality control, corruption, unsustainable sources and adulteration, can you reveal what steps you are taking to ensure your sources are above-board?

I am particularly worried about the fish oil, considering the recent news that a very large manufacturer in china is illegally hunting whale sharks for use as a fish oil source.

We detailed the battery of tests that RFI undertakes here: http://blog.soylent.me/post/55540041339/soylent-manufacturer-update

RFI has a 30-year track record of sourcing and producing high quality ingredients, and has long-term relationships with their ingredients suppliers, one of the main reasons we entrusted them with producing our product.

edit: not sure why the quality of the image is so degraded, it wasn’t like that when originally posted. Will update it as soon as I find the original.

That does help with my concerns somewhat. I’m glad you have done a lot to ensure quality of your end product.
It seems you feel RFI can be trusted to find good sources of ingredients.
Unfortunately too many scandals have come out of China with regards to food for me to be completely trusting.
I am dubious that RFI would be open about detailing the processes they use to ensure their suppliers are ethical.
Do you think they would be open to confirming they do not do business with the supplier of fish oil I linked in the OP?

This site appears to have info on RFI Ingredients’ suppliers. Perhaps if someone on the internet actually has an account on there they might be able to help clarify for the rest of us?