Chloride from tap water?

I noticed many of the meal replacement products contains almost all nutrients, except for chloride.

Is it not an essential nutrient?

Or perhaps, do we get enough quantities just from the tap water?

I believe its actually because most meal replacements assume that you will be consuming other food in conjunction with it, and in America, that typically means very salty food. So there’s no need to supplement chloride.

It was under a similar impression that the dietician working with Rosa Labs recommended not adding the full RDA of sodium into Soylent.

If you’re relying on tap water as a significant source of any nutrient you will be sorely deficient. Water has at best trace amounts of minerals and the amounts very wildly depending on source.

@livingparadox is right on both points. They assume you are eating other things and RL’s dietitian recommend a lower sodium amount for that reason. Rob has said as much on this forum.

This is funny. For other nutrients the dietician didnt assume they will consume other foods (which is good …always aim for 100% RDI for a ‘meal replacment’ not more not less), but for salt they did?

I think the key is to consider that meal replacement products are generally intended to replace a meal, not all meals.

Chloride is an essential nutrient - it makes up 70% of the negative ions in our plasma, and is one of the most important electrolytes. That being said, chloride deficiency or overconsumption are rare and relatively inconsequential, so they’re rarely of interest on labels. While we need chloride, the body seems to be good at regulating it.

Also, in the US, nutrition labels are only required to list the following micronutrients: Sodium, A, C, Calcium, Iron. Everything else is optional.

Sodium chloride, table salt, is not the only source of chloride - there are other chlorides, especially in grains, legumes, kelp, tomatoes, celery… but there’s not enough in anything to add up to “too much” except perhaps sodium chloride. If you’re staying within any reasonable range on table salt / sodium, chloride becomes pretty much a non-issue.

I wish more things would show chloride - also choline, which is also essential, but which has no established DV (daily value). We do have established daily “adequate intake” levels as minimums, but it’s not really looked at, partly because it’s of little concern for people eating normal food. It’s seems it’s only us soylenters, and perhaps super-strict vegan vegetarians, who need to pay attention to to choline specifically. But I’m going off-topic…

From the man himself.

Yes i read that. But it wasnt added in the first three versions, the versions which i was talking about.

Just backing up what we are saying about the reason the sodium is below the DRI and RDA.