Chloride in table salt

Hi there,

I bought a bag of plain common salt without the added iodine. I am hunting around trying to find the chloride content of table salt in mg. I have tried Nutrition Data but the chloride content is missing from the mineral analysis panel. See: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/216/2.
If anyone has a nutritional analysis of plain table salt and could help me out I would be most grateful.
Thank you in advance.

Lucy

Edit: disregard this post and see below

Chloride Requirements and Dietary Sources

It’s easy to find chloride in foods, so deficiency is rare. Table salt and sea salt are both 40 percent chloride by volume so you’ll consume chloride every time you add salt to your foods or when you eat foods that are made with salt.

So if you know how many milligrams of salt are in the recipe, multiply by 0.4 to find the mg of chloride.

Or if you know how many mg of chloride you want, multiply that by 2.5 to figure out how much salt to put in your recipe.

It is 1 chloride atom per sodium/natrium atoms 1:1

Sodium is about 22.99g per mole while chloride is 35.45g per mole

That means that 22.99+35.45=58.44

35.45/58.44=0.6066

That means 1 gram of salt contains 0.6066 grams of chloride or about that depending on how accurate the periodic table I used was.

It must be moles per gram. So your math is correct but the ratio is reversed. Or something. Darnit I’m confused, it’s just inconceivable that About.com could be wrong about anything.

The chloride is heavier than the sodium/natrium :slight_smile: so it is not reversed heh

Edit: My calculation is as close to the real value as it gets depending on the accuracy of the periodic table that was used :). Unless I made a big mistake… Then that is how you calculate the value. I did get an A in chemestry (danish equivilant) recently :confused: so I would hope I remembered correctly

It’s 2:30 here, I should just go to sleep…

@Lucy I would have answered you faster, but the forum went down while I was about to post heh

Did you get the answere you needed?

OK, you are correct and About.com is correct. About.com provided the ratio by volume, and I carelessly treated it as ratio by weight. And by fluke the sodium:chloride ratio is 60:40 by volume and 40:60 by weight. Which led me to quickly assume you had it backwards, but I was confused and wrong.

So since @Lucy is dealing with milligrams:

If you know how many milligrams of salt are in the recipe, multiply by 0.6 to find the mg of chloride.

Or if you know how many milligrams of chloride you want, multiply that by 1.67 to figure out how much salt to put in your recipe.

By volume is a strange way to calculate it :slight_smile: since most people want to know in weight heh (unless dealing with large amounts) actually, thinking about it… Volume makes no sense… Since it is basically one crystal structure… Side by side… Unless you want to add pure sodium and pure chloride together. :slight_smile: now I am confused heh

Thinking more about it… 40% chloride by volume is wrong also… it made no sense in the beginning either :smiley: so I believe they either meant Sodium or 60% by volume. I never used about.com, but I believe they either made a typo or are simply wrong (or worded it incorrectly)

^60% of volume/mass is Chloride

I did some further reading on wikipedia… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt#Fortified_table_salt down where it says "In France, 35% of the table salt sold contains added sodium fluoride.[39]"
and higher up it says “Table salt is a refined salt containing about 97 to 99 percent sodium chloride.[24][25][26]”

So depending on which salt it actually is, and where you live in the world… the 40% as stated by about.com might be true or might not :slight_smile: @Vicc

@Vicc when you wake up, let me know if I was misunderstanding the wording or if I was right, because honestly I am not 100% sure anymore :slight_smile: perhaps someone else can take a jab also?

Hmm, thinking about salt in terms of volume makes sense to me; I mean, I use one teaspoon, or two teaspoons, and if I’m conceptualizing “how much salt should I add?” I think of it in terms of teaspoons or fractions thereof. I wouldn’t know a milligram if it hit me upside the head. ( :arrow_left: “small” joke there)

So if I’d realized About.com was referring to volume, I would have said something like this:

If you know how many teaspoons of salt are in the recipe, multiply by 0.6 to find the teaspoons of chloride.

Or if you know how many teaspoons of chloride you want… ummmm, nevermind.

I irresponsibly stayed up all night, it’s dawn here and now I have to take a nap; I do think you were correct all along and I think I got it right in this post … but who knows what I’ll think about it after I’ve slept…

Um, looks like you guys got this handled. I had written up a similar post last night, but then the board went down. Here’s what I was going to say, so throw my vote in with the 60% chlorine and 40% sodium.

Table salt should be just NaCl: one sodium for each chlorine. The atomic mass of sodium is ~22.99, and the atomic mass of chlorine is ~35.45.

So salt contains by mass:
22.99/(22.99+35.45) = 40% sodium
35.45/(22.99+35.45) = 60% chlorine

I see there are some other nutrients listed in the nutritiondata link, and I’m not sure if those are there because most table salts have supplemented them (in which case yours may not), or if they just happen to get past the purification steps. So let’s see, in 100g of table salt, the site says there’s 24mg (calcium) + 0.3mg (iron) + 1mg (magnesium) + 8mg (potassium) + 0.1mg (zinc) + 0.1mg (selenium) = 33.5mg. The rest are on the order of mcg, so they don’t really matter.
All of these additional nutrients combined amount to 0.03% of the total mass, and with <10g of salt in a soylent recipe, they’re going to contribute a negligible amount to the totals. Iodized salt provides only mcg of iodine, but since we only need 150mcg anyway, it’s sufficient.

Anyway, my point is that in table salt, more than 99.9% of it is straight up NaCl, and the rest (aside from iodine, if present) is in quantities so small they can be left out. From this, I’d say the best nutritional analysis of x grams of table salt is .4x sodium and .6x chlorine. “Iodized salt” ingredients on the DIY site are sort of all over the place, but I think this atomic mass analysis should be correct unless the way our bodies break it up is funky or something.

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all of your answers, I truly appreciate your time and help.

Warmest wishes,
Lucy

Always use mass measurements for your Soylent for any ingredient. That is what the US RDA uses, and what the DIY calculator uses.

NB: you will need a scale that is accurate with small masses.

In the US, most people cook almost entirely by volume. You buy a set of measuring spoons (1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/2 tablespoon, 1 tablespoon [and since I can tell you were dying to know, 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon]) which are of very specific, standardized volumes (not just spoons you pull out of your silverware drawer) and a set of measuring cups (1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup, which are also not just cups you get out of your cupboard). These tools are used specifically for measuring ingredients and have no other purpose except to take up space in your kitchen. You can search amazon.com for measuring cups and spoons to see what they look like.

You haven’t lived until you’ve made a recipe that not only uses every size of measuring utensil you have, but also requires you to wash some of them in order to use them twice! Good times… :wry grin: As a result, baking (which is basically chemistry) can seem like black magic in the US, depending on how densely packed your ingredients are and even variables like how humid the air is that day!

Learning to cook by weight rather than volume was a revelation for me. Not only did it take the guesswork out of baking, but there are way fewer dishes to wash!!! :smile:

You repeatedly say chlorine.

But what you mean to say is chloride, right?

Really? You revived a 2 year dead post to pick on someone’s typo?

They mean Chlorine:

The most common compound of chlorine, sodium chloride (common salt), has been known since ancient times.

Also, what horsfield said.