Chocolate Malt DIY Recipe: Feedback Appreciated

Hi All,

So I’ve been lurking for a while reading up about Soylent. I decided to take the plunge and make my own recipe. At first I started with the Beginner’s DIY Recipe. I wasn’t too much of a fan of it and didn’t like the taste much so I decided to tweak the recipe. Based on what Rob has done, the work posted by @CuriousBen (Thanks man, you’ve been a big help), and my own RDA amounts this is the recipe I’ve put together.

That is a link to the spreadsheet I’ve put together. I’ve tried to make this fairly comprehensive and useful for others looking to start out. In the spreadsheet you’ll find my RDA amounts (obviously one could adjust this to what their needs are), what the upper limit is for several vitamins/minerals with links to the nutrition website where I found my information, and links to the products I used to create the Soylent (most go to amazon). There’s a second spreadsheet in there which has the nutritional information for several multivitamins. When I started this with the Beginners DIY recipe I used the Alive! multivitamin but became unhappy with that as it just gives you a ton of stuff way past your RDA. Right now I’m using the Kirkland multivitamin but you can all see the different multivitamins for yourself.

Lastly, the recipe is designed to be Chocolate Malt flavored. The Whey Protein is chocolate malt flavored and I added malt powder and chocolate syrup to the recipe. The Chocolate syrup is organic and doesn’t have any partially-hydrogenated nonsense.

I’d appreciate any feedback you all may have!

Wow, I love that you tallied up a bunch of multivitamins. That was a huge pain to have to try to research myself.

You might want to input the numbers for Omega 3/6, as they’re blank right now. It looks like you’re going to add fish oil(?) on top of the olive oil, which usually results in a favorable ratio. Depends on the quantities of course.

Also, you may want to double check the calories. I used the fat = 9cal, carb/protein = 4cal calculation and it comes up about 120 calories less than the 2152 you’ve listed. Now granted my recipe comes up 35 calories less (using that calculation) but I thought I’d point it out. Most likely a sum of rounding errors, since nutritional information on labels for calories need only be rounded to the nearest 10 (in the US).

Only other thing I can think of is to make sure that your Vitamin A isn’t coming exclusively as Beta-Carotene. Most multivitamins will say what percentage is from that source. Beta-Carotene is only converted to retinol at a 6:1 ratio. Meaning if the multivitamin is 10,000 IU of Vitamin A, and 60% is from Beta-Carotene, you’re only getting 5000 IU (4000 + (6000/6)) of ‘usable’ Vitamin A. You can search for the thread here that discusses it more and/or check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-Carotene#Conversion_factors

Good luck!

Try using this site for your RDAs and ULs: http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidance/dietary-reference-intakes

It has more than you ever wanted to know about every micronutrient out there. You should be able to find nearly all of your missing ULs there. Check out my recipe if you want; I got most of my RDAs and ULs there. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aginfn56EnJmdGtwOUt5NGZzQmxfb2NKLUpGNEcydEE#gid=0

Are you adding inositol for medical reasons, or is it also beneficial for regular people?

I’m pretty sure IU takes that into account. From here:

1 µg Retinol Equivalent = 1 µg of all-trans retinol
= 6 µg all-trans β-carotene
= 12 µg of α-carotene, β-cryptoxanthin and other provitamin A carotenoids

1 International Unit (IU) retinol = 0.3 µg Retinol Equivalents

Hm… so it seems. I guess I just assumed that since all multivitamins state their source/ratio of Vitamin A, that it must’ve been important. But if it’s listed in IUs, then it seems it does not. Well, at least not between 1967 and 2001 when the FAO released their findings that concluded the same thing. In the future, the ratio may need to be adjusted, but for now I suppose 1 IU of Vitamin A already accounts for Retinol Equivalency.

Good to know! Thanks for pointing that out, @MetaSynapse.

Hey all - thanks for the feedback.

@Defender - yea I still need to add the Fish oil capsules so it’s still blank but I plan on picking some up.

Thanks for the links @Mqrius, I’ll try to fill in the gaps in the spreadsheet.

As for the Vitamin A issues - yea I really have no idea how to calculate it. Every ingredient seems relatively straightforward except for that one. As a point of clarity, the Vitamin A in the Kirkland is from beta carotene and Vitamin A acetate though the ratios aren’t displayed…

Also @Mqrius - I’m adding inositol because it doesn’t seem like it hurts and the capsules I have are choline/inositol together so if I want one, I need to add the other.

Just a quick update here based on the feedback plus my own experiences.

1. I’ve added fish oil capsules to the program and they’re in the spreadsheet.

2. I’ve upped the protein from 2.5 scoops to 3 scoops. I’ve felt a little more fatigued after my workouts lately so I figured this increase could be beneficial.

3. I’ve upped the whole oat powder from 1 scoop to 2 scoops. This is also partially in response to the fatigue - I figured I could use a few more calories and hopefully the added oat powder will slow the absorption rate of the drink a little bit.

4. I still need to fill in the missing RDA stuff.

Ultimately, when I designed this I tried to get just the bare minimum of what I needed/undershoot a few things. As such, even though my DV for calories was ~2700, I was getting something around 2100-2200 hundred. In other words, I feel comfortable adding amounts to the current recipe without a fear of going-over on anything. Perhaps these adjustments will make a difference. Anyone see any holes in this logic/updated recipe? If it’s solid I think I may post it on MakeSoylent.com (that will also force me to figure out the costs of everything and what a per-day $ amount is).