Cinnamon Benefits for Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure, and Cholesterol

(Caveat: Long term studies are needed to confirm this as useful treatment for long-term use.)

So it turns out (questionable website, but check the source) that cinnamon and magnesium together can help dramatically lower blood pressure; more even than any medication can. Crazy stuff.

Cinnamon by itself also appears to essentially act like insulin, controlling blood sugar levels - a huge boon for diabetics.

Oh, and it helps reduce your LDL (bad) cholesterol.

Edit: However, it appears that this is only true for Cassia cinnamon, the cheap kind from China as opposed to Ceylon cinnamon which some people call “true cinnamon”. The problem is that cassia has a high amount of coumarin, which thins the blood and is bad for your liver.

As a flavoring for my DIY soylent, I’m personally finding that 2g of cinnamon/day makes my soylent go from acceptable to tasty.

Edit2: Switched to Ceylon cinnamon to avoid coumarin, and it’s both more expensive per gram and not as strong. I use 4g of it, and even with that it still doesn’t give the kick that cassia did.

Adding cinnamon to beta S/soylent makes it taste like horchata. A delish mexican drink.And yes the added benefit of cinnamon.

Anecdote is not equal to data, but I’m a type 2 (high sugar) diabetic, and tried cinnamon (Cassia; most ‘cinnamon’ that you’ll find anywhere is actually cassia, rather than the more expensive cinnamon) for three months. 1 gram per day.

Results; no change in my blood sugar at all. Dunno about cholesterol, but I’m kind of doubting that too.

Any website that runs ads titled “Learn why vaccines do not prevent disease…” is immediately dismissed for serious consideration. Tantamount to “hurray, polio!” Free energy, magnet therapy on the same site. Wacky feedfarm.

My cardiologist who is a member of the best rated cardiology team in the country touts cinnamon for all of the heart healthy benefits of it.

Just pointing out that the particular source was nuts. Doesn’t change the fact that cinnamon has health benefits, but it’s always better to pick a source that isn’t chock full of crazy.

Be wary that cassia (most cinnamon) may be slightly toxic to the liver. Its probably fine in small amounts, but I wouldn’t want to take a dose every day. The more expensive Ceylon cinnamon is probably a better choice.

Woah, good catch. I have become perhaps too proficient at ignoring ads. I found it here and here too, but went with that one because of their source, which seemed legit.

The Cassia vs Ceylon thing is news to me. At first I assumed that it must be ceylon, then, that has the health benefits, but according to this, cassia is so widespread that cassia tends to be what’s used for medical testing.

Most of the human trials that have demonstrated glucose-balancing effects of cinnamon powder have used Cassia. However, powdered Cassia supplements can expose people to excess coumarin.

Although Ceylon cinnamon is preferable for culinary purposes, it hasn’t been adequately studied in humans for its effects on blood glucose levels.

This source corroborates that, and this source (with a nice video) even claims that the active ingredient which helps blood sugar IS the toxic blood thinning coumarin in cassia which is bad for the liver.

I just replaced my cassia with ceylon. It’s not nearly as strong, so I have to use a lot more to get the same kick. It’s also more expensive…

Unfortunate.

The wikipedia page seems to summarize the different studies and suggests that there’s not enough evidence to support the claim that it is good for blood sugar.

Also, with the potential to cause health problems, I most certainly wouldn’t take it. The chemicals extracted from cinnamon seem to be beneficial though not for blood sugar, blood pressure, or cholesterol.

This is soylent, people. Use science, don’t use a “food” or spice when you can use an extract that has the benefits without the drawbacks. Licorice has been shown to have an effect on cholesterol, but it can cause fertility problems in males and overdosing is possible, so it’s not advisable either.

The Spice must flow.

Thanks for the link, it ads more weight to the idea that this is still muddled.

I could go to the wikipedia page right now and change it. SCIENCE!

Actually, even the wikipedia page just says two studies did find an effect, and one study says there isn’t enough of an effect to help diabetics. Very nice, neutral, cold reporting of facts; no suggestions or conjecture.

We now have three scientific studies which found an effect, and one that has not. Now, to “use science”, you need to read all four articles completely, find the gaps in the research, and perform a fifth to clear up the mud a bit.

I had read somewhere that you can get the same benefits from a water soluble cinnamon extract without the toxic components since those are fat soluble.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

EU agencies say that 0.1mg/kg is ‘too much’. For an average 150# person that is about 7 grams/day. The article goes on to say that this is based on animal studies and that humans are likely to be less sensitive. Then it also says that some people may be hypersensitive but that the 0.1mg/kg limit is still safe.

I’m thinking that a compromise would be to mix the two types so that you’d have the flavor and low cost with an added safety margin.

You could try upping your dose to 2 g if you are interested to find out if it really can.