Clarification on the UL of Magnesium From Supplements

Hi everyone,

I noticed last night that according to this source the UL of Magnesium is 300 - 400mg (depending on gender / age) when consumed using food and water, but 350mg when consumed from “a pharmacological agent”.

Does this mean supplements? If it does, my formula certainly needs to be adjusted and I imagine others’ might need to be as well. :slight_smile:

Hi, i believe taking large doses, such as a single pill exceeding 350 mg, can cause stomach upset.

If the intake is spread throughout the day this should be no problem. I use half a pill and other sources.

You could always crush up the pill and spread it between your soylent doses.

Hope that helps

Thanks @ozbob, I’m glad to know that if it’s taken throughout the day that that shouldn’t be an issue :slight_smile:

Mainly what I wanted to know is whether or not this PDF defines “pharmacological” as a supplement. If so, then the amount should definitely be reduced from 400mg to 350mg, even though it is generally only a little over the UL, long term effects could be bad :slight_smile:

While the UL is 350 mg that is for women and the rda is in fact 400mg for men.

When they say: “The UL for magnesium represents intake from a pharmacological agent only,” they’re referring to supplements of any kind. There are no known adverse effects of getting too much magnesium from your food. But if you take too many supplements it’ll give you diarrhea because magnesium is a laxative. Magnesium Citrate in particular is frequently used as a laxative.

If you’re taking oat powder, you’ll be getting a significant amount of your magnesium there. There’s also some in the whey powder. You can check out nutritiondata.self.com to see how much magnesium is in these if it’s not on the label.