Colonoscopy prep -- skip the Soylent, and what does that portend?

Soylent 1.4, love it! But this experience makes me think.

With an upcoming cscopy, I asked the doctor about using Soylent during the low fiber diet part of the prep. He thought that if all I had was Soylent, the fiber content was low enough. Not my first cscopy, so I’m very familiar with the process. Curiously, the fiber in Soylent has remarkable staying power, so to speak. Without undue detail, prep results were poor.

1. Given my experience, I would recommend not using Soylent within at least 4 days of this or a similar procedure, probably longer.
  2. If Soylent can stick to the gut through a deluge of PEG and Mg Citrate (and additional lavage), what does this mean for everyday use? How might this affect gut flora and nutrient absorbtion?

It would be great to get a careful study of this issue.

Interesting. Did your doc have anything to comment on, other than the fact that it was persistent?

This may be a good thing - fiber in the gut provides substrate for the gut flora.

Or it may be a bad thing.

Spouse ate Soylent up to the “clear liquids & jello only” last 24 hours and fun toilet purge. Like, literally ate Soylent about 25 hours before (only has it for breakfast). Doctor had no problem at all with the colonoscopy.

Yeah, Soylent is NOT a clear liquid. You couldn’t get away with it during the last phase of prep.

Obviously not for the clear liquid phase. I used it for the soft food phase. @asympt, Which version of Soylent? Which prep did your spouse use, 4 litre PEG or low volume PEG+Mg Citrate? Typically, the 4 litre prep is only used for people with kidney disease, but some docs still persist in using it for everyone.

Having watched the procedure in real time, I observed fibrous mats aggressively adhering to the colon wall. The prep had done away with any fecal matter, so these were just fiber residue. When I say agressively adhering, I mean it took a lot of water spray to remove them. The doc referred to the prep quality as “fair” (so on a scale of 1-4, a 2). The procedure was successfully completed, but took more than twice the expected time.

Having worked in GI for some time, I can easily imagine a doc saying that there was no problem, so long as the procedure was completed. In my case, I was the one who raised the issue and the doc said, “yeah, don’t use that next time.”

So, I’m not rabidly anti-GMO per se. To me it depends on what the modification is, and how it’s been tested. My concern here is whether there is BT-modified anything adhering to the gut wall, as that particular modification has been associated with weakening of the gut wall, and one would want to limit contact time.