Comment on an article re: Omega-6 to Omega-3 Ratios?

Hey folks, wanted to point out a blog post about the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3’s that suggests too much 6 inhibits 3 absorption, and 6’s are inflammatory, while 3’s aren’t. Is this solid science?

Chris does not seem to be a good source of scientific accuracy: http://nativeskeptic.blogspot.nl/2011/08/skeptic-gets-healthy-dose-of-skepticism.html?m=1

So… your saying he is wrong? Or are you saying because he is stupid, he cant be right?

There are several legitimate scientific sources that have researched a Mediterranean diet which puts a stong emphasis on omega 3. They attribute many of the benefits to high omega 3 intake.

I was under the impression that it’s not that 6 inhibits 3 absorption, so much as they both work against each other and can cancel the other’s effects out. 3’s are anti-inflammatory and 6’s are inflammatory, so balancing them is like putting a humidifier and a dehumidifier in the same room together (seemingly pointless, but also the easiest way to achieve reliable humidity.)

As for the article itself, IDK. That guy seems to hate vegetable oil to an absurd extent, which will always make me add a couple grains of salt to anything they say. But I’ve read on on omega 3/6 ratios other places, too, so I think some of the stuff in there is legit despite the fervor.

What i am saying is that you should not rely on this guy for any information, if the content of the article is correct then there should be a more credible source confirming that.

I have not read much on omega 6/3 ratios but i do know that higher intakes of 3 compared to 6 are correlated to better health(but correlation does not equal causation)

He appears to be quoting a fair number of peer reviewed articles. It seemed like at least this information was based on some kind of real science but not sure. The guy may be off base a lot of the time, but I was more wondering about this in particular.

Specifically he states that Ω-3 and Ω-6 fatty acids compete for the same enzymes, so if you have a ratio of Ω-6 to Ω-3 that’s very high, then the Ω-6 ends up getting the lion’s share of the enzymes, and thusly the Ω-3’s have reduced absorption. Seemed sensible to me but wasn’t sure.

I’ve decided to go to Olive Oil in my recipe though, so I’m drastically dropping the AMOUNT of Ω-3 and Ω-6’s entirely in favor of a majority of Ω-9’s in EVOO, and a much easier path to creating a healthier balance of Ω6:Ω3 - I’ve aimed for, and achieved 4:1 using EVOO and some flax oil supplements.(3g Ω3, 12g Ω6)