Comparative nutritional analysis of chemically defined diets

This study in particular may be of interest.

The abstract seems to suggest that in order to ensure optimal results using a chemically defined diet, the input of a physician should be considered.

I assume that while some in North America and elsewhere in the world may have easy and cheap access to their physician to bring this topic up, most certainly not all would.

I would also be willing to bet that those physicians not familiar with chemically defined diets would fall victim to several of the limited perspective fallacies that can result from the paradigm shift of introducing a diet such as this - especially if the person is otherwise “healthy” (as we can all agree that Soylent, when providing all nutrients, generally makes a person healthier) and is not looking to use the diet to address a specific health concern.

Unfortunately this is just an abstract, and it’s from 1975, so considerations regarding out of data nutritional data in the full report should be made (should anyone get their hands on it).

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

My thought is just that it’s probably worth continuing to delve into this subject with search engines, in hope of finding something that’s not hidden behind a paywall and that is more up to date. From what little I’ve seen, it looks like they think they already have nutritionally adequate formulae for cats, dogs and pigs, which surprised me a bit. I hadn’t really thought about it, but what I saw definitely implied that creating a chemically defined diet is much easier/more successful for some mammalian species than for others. It’s possible it might already have been done for humans – NASA has probably worked on the problem, I’d guess.

I also definitely think that when it comes around to getting serious about the problem of feeding starving millions in Ethiopia, Bangla Desh, Somalia and so forth, in the end the developers will be looking at getting as many ingredients down to pure chemical form as possible, with a view to making production entirely non-dependent upon agriculture. How feasible that may be, I have no idea; I’m not a biochemist.