Complete bodybuilding-centric Soylent at £3.03/day (COMPLETE)

I plan to consume my Soylent as two meals, one of which contains only protein, fat, creatine, half of my potassium chloride and the vitamin D/ calcium supplement at ~lunchtime. This extends my glucagon-dominant fasted state through till post-workout through the absence of carbs keeping insulin levels low. The second meal is intra/post-workout and is an even split of 100g of carbs, protein and fat with my remaining micronutrients, causing an insulin spike when I am most sensitive to nutrient uptake to muscles and still relatively insensitive to fat gain. This is called carb backloading.

Does it look feasible? Am I missing something?

I’m up for trying that. Am London-based - where are you?

Whilst I’m thinking about it, you may wish to look at coconut oil and macadamia oil - need saturated fat for testosterone. This is discussed elsewhere on the forum.

I’m in Glasgow, and I thought olive oil had saturated fat. I’ll look into alternative/additional sources.

It’s relatively low. From somewhere on the internet

Olive oil contains 2 grams of saturated fat per tablespoon, or 14 percent of its total fat content, with monounsaturated fat forming 78 percent, and polyunsaturated fat 8 percent.

By contrast, coconut oil is around 90 percent saturated fat, just 6 percent monounsaturated fat and 2 percent polyunsaturated fat.

I eat coconut block for this reason :slight_smile:

…and just got an email back, my KCl source isn’t food grade. It’s all gone wrong already.

I’m not 100% sure this is legit, but I’ve read somewhere that grapeseed oil isn’t ideal as a sole source of fat because the omega-3 and omega-6 ratio is a bit off-kilter. Also very low in saturated fat. I’m a fan of multiple sources of fats, I use olive oil and MCT oil (but my mix is focused on low-carb calorie control).

Updated: Using LO-SALT as a KCl source, 2/3 KCl to 1/3 NaCl actually works out cheaper and gives me not too far off my RDAs for all three elements if I stop taking monosodium phosphate. That leaves me with a gaping phosphate deficiency though, only 109mg/day from the multivit. Are there any phosphate sources I’m missing here?

Working on fat source.

So I found this:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=TN-1014#.Ua1Tb6qVvRY

Looking at your recipe that will increase your calcium but still keep you under the UL, also your phosphorus would be higher than you wanted. But you could always try breaking the pills in two which would more closely match your numbers.

Sorry I didn’t check to see if it was available in the UK.

Are you going to be crushing up the kirkland vitamins? I’ve seen some vitamin comparisons that showed they have pretty low dissolution.

Have you actually tried it yet?

It seems like a lot of salt!

Also, not sure how “complete” Soy protein is - other people have looked into that :slight_smile:

@Tai - Nah, I’ll just swallow them with it.

@CuriousBen - I want to get everything in order before I start, it’s a big initial outlay for me.

@HarveyDesu - It’s chemically sound but I can’t for the life of me get a decent UK source. It’s the same as magnesium phosphate, just homeopathic sugar pills with names like “magphos 30C”

AND BAM. I’ll continue using LO-SALT for my KCl but I’ll separate the KCl from the NaCl and bin that, use just the KCl and take monosodium phosphate to finish up. That gives me all my phosphorous, brings my sodium back down from the uncomfortably high level it was at before, and I’m still only forking out £3.03/day for all my nutrients. The only problem now is that I’ll basically need a lot of pure ethanol to separate them, or pick apart the crystals one by one.

NaCl is denser, though. can I separate them mechanically using that?

@LdHenryWotton I am holding here in my hand an off-the-supermaket-shelf consumer product called “No Salt” (admittedly several years old and I haven’t seen it on the shelf recently, only mixed “Lo Salt” products). Distributed in Canada by Reckitt Benckiser (Canada) Ltd., it is made in USA, doesn’t say by whom, so maybe US division of the same corporation. It contains NO sodium at all, and its ingredients are listed as potassium chloride, potassium bitartrate, adipic acid, silicone dioxide, mineral oil and fumaric acid. It shakes out like table salt but it’s about twice as fine-grained. You may wish to investigate the availability of No Salt in your location, now you know it exists. Good luck.

Salt with zero sodium is a nightmare to find here. There’s one or two things on Amazon but they’re horribly expensive.

That is one big problem with the human nutrition scene – it keeps changing, products appear and disappear. For all I know No Salt may already have been taken off the market; as I said, all I’ve seen recently has been “Lo Salt” mixtures of sodium chloride and potassium chloride, but No Salt is (or was?) entirely potassium-based. I’ll keep my eyes open next time I’m in the city of Brandon to see if it’s still available in the bigger supermarkets there.

You’re consuming 200% of your iron every day. My guess is you’re going to be in-taking way too much iron.

Is the Vitamin K in the formula referring to K1 or K2?

@dualhammers - it’s a lot more than the RDA but the UL for iron is stupid high, so I should be okay.

@harshbatra - K2 for the specific supplement, the multivit doesn’t say which. It shouldn’t matter, should it? Everything I’ve read says that we use K2 but the body can convert K1 to K2.

Final final final update. Turns out separating the KCl and NaCl in LO-SALT is a logistical nightmare, but it also turns out my protein source is crazy high in P, along with folate, Cu, Fe and S-containing amino acids. I’ll still get MSM but I won’t add it in at first, seeing if I become deficient.

(possibly final final) spreadsheet update to follow, I’ve got some maths to do.