Confused about carbs

What type of carbs should I use in my Soylent, and where do I get them?
Everything’s great with my recipe except the distinct lack of carbs, which is currently making me a very hungry person.

Do you have a link to your recipe?

No this is the only recipe I didn’t bother adding to my spreadsheet. It’s too much work to add in all the values every time I change something.

It has 100% of everything or more though, except for carbohydrates, so I’d need a pure carb source.

It depends how you intend to consume your Soylent. If you’re going to be drinking it in lots of small portions with relatively short time between them, then short chain carbs are fine (possibly better?), those like maltodextrin, dextrose, sugar etc.

If you’re going to be drinking it in a few large portions (e.g. a breakfast, lunch and dinner type thing), then you’re much better off with long chain carbs, such as flours, grains and so on. The notable exception to his rule (though it’s not as easy to source) is isomaltulose (sold as Palatinose), which is technically a short chain carb, but acts like a long chain in that it takes a lot longer to break down.

Short chain/sugars = sudden energy spike followed by a slump.
Long chain/complex = “slow burn” energy.

Generally a combination is best, but the ratio is more or less determined by how you’re going to consume it.

I’m intending to consume it in small portions throughout the day as a liquid. That’s what I do right now. I really can’t down a large amount of Soylent at once, the taste is (oddly) too sweet.

If the short chain carbs have a higher glycemic index then I wouldn’t use them anyways.

What would have the lowest glycemic index but still be easily available to the body?

What you’ve essentially just said is “What would have the lowest glycemic index but still have a high glycemic index?” :stuck_out_tongue: glycemic index simply refers to how quickly it’s absorbed into the bloodstream.

What is your main source of carbs in the recipe at the moment?

What do you think is making it too sweet? If you’re adding any sugar, you could try replacing some or all of it with dextrose or maltodextrin, which have a lower relative sweetness than sugar, as well as being made up entirely of glucose. (Sucrose, what sugar is made of, is 50% glucose and 50% fructose)

There’s some kind of flavoring agent in the protein powder (I didn’t know when I bought it). It’s not actually sweet though, it has no carbs.

There’s no carb source right now, that’s why it’s so odd that it tastes sweet.

Well what has the lowest glycemic index, then? I don’t want to raise my risk for diabetes it runs in my family.

Well the reason I say that is, if you get 300g of carbs (Adjusting for my intake I actually need 405g, which seems excessive but that’s the recommendation) and it’s absorbed slowly, then isn’t it possible you’d actually only get 200g or so and the rest would just be bacteria food?

I’m not sure how the physiology works, but I’m also not sure how I can get 300g of carbs in a healthy way and actually absorb all of it.

It would probably help if we could actually see what you’re putting into it :stuck_out_tongue: even if you just type out a list of ingredients and serving size.

I’m not sure how that would work either, that’s reaching the very limits of my current knowledge.

Well it’s funny how difficult it is to follow all of these recommendations when taken altogether. Without a preformed food like Soylent, it would probably be impossible.

Here goes:

Walgreens A thru Z multivitamin (1 tablet[ground])
Sundown naturals Liquid-Filled Calcium + D(1200mg calcium + 1000IU Vitamin D)
Potassium Citrate (4.7g)
Magnesium Citrate (350mg)
Sundown Naturals Vitamin C (1 tablet[500 mg])
Lecithin Granules (7.5g [1.8g choline] + 240mg phosphorus)
Body Fortress Whey Protein (114g [78g of protein] + 186mg phosphorus)
3 tbsp Olive Oil (42g Fat)
3 tbsp Flaxseed Oil (42g Fat, To maintain 1:1 omega-3/omega-6 ratio)
1 tsp Cod Liver Fish Oil (7g Fat, For DHA and EPA)

I just realized I’m not meeting my daily recommendation for phosphorus.

Dont forget our long and heated debate on wether or not flour is edible raw. Also dont be fooled by the glycemic indez, high fructose corn syrup is low GI but only because your liver has to get involved, whoch can cause trouble with a large enough amount.

Ahh, spell check, how I love you.

Apparently isomaltulose is the solution.

Low glycemic but provides the expected caloric content of 4 calories per gram.

The glycemic index isn’t as important as it seems. Simple sugars have a very high GI if measured in isolation, but when mixed with the other ingredients their effective GI is much lower. However getting a portion of your carbs as starchs is a reasonable failsafe.

And isomaltulose is not good, at least for the sole source of carbs. It’s 50% fructose. Thats 200g of fructose, way too much.

If you are worried about diabetes another option (possibly better) is to reduce the percentage of calories taken as carbs, in favor of fats. Maybe lower it from 400g to 300g or 250g, no need to be extreme.

Lastly, you should recheck the nutritional values of your fats. According to http://nutritiondata.self.com/ 42g of olive oil and flaxseed oil gives you a 1:0.44 omega-3/omega6 ratio.

Yes it is. Glycemic load is more important but that has everything to do with glycemic index.

Glycemic index has ways of factoring in fat intake.

It’s all broken down to glucose. To say that a specific type of sugar is too much “just because” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Regardless it has everything I’m looking for.

It also is much better for preventing dental caries.

That was what I was going to do originally but I have high blood pressure so increasing my fat intake is even more dangerous than getting too many carbs.

As far as that goes, I’m not too worried, that should still be fairly healthy, however if I can use more olive oil and bring that ratio to 1:1 then I definitely will, because olive oil is cheaper.

I am trusting @Teseracto as I didn’t examine your numbers that closely but if you are at a 1:44 ratio then you have a higher chance of developing prostate cancer. Go do some research into fats and the proper Omega ratios. If you have too much O3 then you are more likely to develop heart disease.

Also setup a spreadsheet or use one of the many web apps. It becomes much easier to keep track of things. You probably should have started with your Macro nutrients first as well. If you go the route of Oat or Malto then you will have to adjust your micros to compensate for their added micro nutrients.

As for the suggestion of Palatinose, you have to be careful with how much you consume of that. I seem to remember (I could be mistaken though) a post and some articles that states it can cause problems or become toxic if you consume too much. This was the reason that most of us did not switch over to it. Although in lower doses it is supposed to be awesome.

From what I’ve read ratios of n-3:n-6 below 1:2 haven’t been studied.

It’s ratios above 1:3 that aren’t optimal for some types of cancer.

I would like to get it closer to 1:1 though, only because the effects of a ratio lower haven’t been studied.

Also, he said 1: 0.44 not 1:44.

As far as the isomaltulose goes, f you can cite some sources I might believe that but otherwise I don’t see why that would be and it might be related to that specific brand.

Fructose only can be metabolized by the liver, it’s the very reason for its low GI. Consuming too much put an excessive stress on the liver. Even by the most permisive dietary advices 200g of fructose/day is too much.
High fructose corn syrup is considered pretty unhealthy for this same reason.

Sure, some people say that too much fat is bad and raises blood pressure. Some others say otherwise, that is an excess of carboydrates what raises blood pressure.
Oh, the fantastic world of nutrition science.

Well, they usually say as long as you get the vast majority of your fats as unsaturated fats (especially monounsaturated fats) then you’ll be fine, but I realized from my last soylent that my body can’t metabolize fat fast enough to take in any more than the daily recommendation and it makes me very nauseous. Healthy or not, my body isn’t made for it.

Interesting! Could that also be offset by the lack of toxins and other materials needing filtering by the liver in a soylent recipe though? Also the liver is the only organ that can completely regenerate itself, so it’s certainly safer than damaging my heart or pancreas.

I’ll have to look for a better substitute, thanks.

And yes excessive carbohydrate intake is definitely associated with heart disease.

Exactly, that’s why it’s so hard for me to make these decisions.

It’s hard to get more information on it since the wikipedia appears to have been written entirely by the company selling it (judging by the tone of the article) or someone really uneducated.

I’ll have to do more research.

didn’t isomaltulose have gi disturbance issues when you used more than 20g a day?

Apparently it does in fact exert a serious stress on the liver. I’m going to avoid it.