Consensus on Soylent Crowdtesting Protocols Needed

Soylent is fascinating due to the ramifications it has on the future potential of food. However, I hope that people have not ordered Soylent expecting something that will work just fine. The fact has been established countless times, and I will say it again: Soylent is an experiment. We will become testing subjects and pioneers.

That being said, we as a community need to establish some guidelines to assist in the improvement of Soylent as well as providing information that could reveal things about the human body and its requirements for a healthy life.

I’ve noticed that people who have been on DIY Formulas have already taken point in testing, and that is fantastic. We need to make this happen for Soylent 1.0 and do it in a way that will enable researchers to have the data all in one place and neatly accessible. For that reason, I believe it would be in the public interest for the guys on top to make a page where we can put in that information, and upload scans of the physical reports. This way, we can graph results and see changes over time on a subject-by- subject basis and combine the data by age range/gender/etc. to see the results for a certain demographic.

We also need to decide on what information is crucial, and whether or not certain information such as race, name, location, diseases/conditions would be helpful to researchers. My guess is that all information we can provide would be helpful, but measures to protect our privacy would be needed.
The frequency of testing, information on physical activity, lifestyle… there are a good amount of things we need to address and agree upon.

I believe this effort to organize the data would be much easier than all of us attempting to keep track of each others’ reports on Discourse, and would allow Soylent to be further analyzed. Doing this would also pique the interest of researchers from various institutions, which is what we want.

Just to be clear, this type of research would be on those who plan on having a Soylent- exclusive diet over a long period of time. We shouldn’t mix data with people who eat “muggle food” on the weekends as that would taint the results, though I wouldn’t throw research on mixed diets out the window; it is just a more difficult dataset to keep track of.

Just to be clear, this type of research would be on those who plan on having a Soylent- exclusive diet over a long period of time. We shouldn’t mix data with people who eat “muggle food” on the weekends as that would taint the results, though I wouldn’t throw research on mixed diets out the window; it is just a more difficult dataset to keep track of.

On the contrary, having information about mixed diets would be invaluable to interpreting the results. For instance, say a common medical problem crops up. If the people with a mixed diet don’t see it, there is one implication, while if it is also seen in those with a mixed diet it means something else. When analyzing datasets like this, you need a baseline to compare it to. The obvious one is a “normal” diet, whatever that means, but a mixed diet helps narrow down the effects of exclusivity. It could also highlight potential issues from a mixed diet; maybe if your normal food is always a certain type of thing it will cause you issues.

Cross-linking with this thread