Count Choculent! Special Dark Cocoa powder

I picked up some Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder and mixed it this Soylent.

I’ve heard other say they tried cocoa powder and it didn’t change the flavor. I wanted to try it anyway and when I found the Special Dark at the store I decided to try that.

It’s delicious!

I’ve been drinking Soylent for about three days now and up to now I was OK with the taste but it was a little too sweet for my tastes. The aroma is actually sweeter than the taste and that bothered me a little bit, but I started drinking it out of Blender Bottles and you don’t smell it as much while your drinking it that way.

I think the reason the Special Dark powder works so well is that it is more bitter than milk chocolate. The bitter off sets the sweetness of Soylent just enough that you don’t notice it.

I don’t know the optimal amount to mix in yet, but heres what I did.

First I put 200ml of already mixed Soylent into a blender bottle. I added one level Tbsp of the dark cocoa powder and mixed it together. It tasted great! I tried adding another Tbsp and that seemed like it was too much.

I mixed up a new batch of Soylent for tomorrow and added 10 Tbsp dark cocoa powder to the Soylent powder and then mixed everything up like normal.

To me, my first impressions, it is so much better than with out the cocoa. The cocoa masks that little bit of sweet aftertaste in Soylent. I think I could drink this without ever getting tired of it.

I’m not sure if you need this much powder but it adds the following:

• 100 calories
  • 2.5g fat
  • 650mg sodium
  • 30g carbs
  • 20g fiber
  • 10g protein
  • 100% iron

The package of cocoa powder has 45 Tbsp so you would only get 4.5 batches of Soylent out of it. I think it cost about $3.50. I wonder if you can buy it in bigger containers on line.

That’s awesome. I’m assuming you’re using official Soylent. I’m quite a bit of a chocolate junkie myself. I regularly buy jumbo sized hershey bars despite knowing how utterly terrible it is if I eat more than one a week.
Once I have my own Soylent, I’ll follow your advice and stave my chocoladdiction the healthy way.
Side note, dark chocolate is beneficial to your health, so that’s another bonus.

I know you can buy big containers at Costco, but I don’t know if they carry the dark chocolate powder. I can buy it in bulk from a restaurant supply store nearby.

I started drinking this this morning and I think I might be using too much cocoa powder. When I mix up tomorrow’s batch I think I’ll start by using 5 Tbsp and see if that is enough.

I’m also a bit concerned about the amount of iron. Soylent already has 120% RDA of iron and 10 Tbsp has 100% RDA. That is still close to the Tolerable Upper Intake Levels, for men over 18 years old (45mg). One solution for men with too much iron is to give blood often so that might be a good idea for any men using Soylent since it is formulated with the RDA for women (18mg being 100% RDA)

I looked up the nutrition label for the regular cocoa powder and it would only have 20% with 10 Tbsp. so maybe I’ll pick some of that up and try it also.

Yes, I just started on Friday.

Hell yeah! I use it for my DIY, got it on amazon in a six pack:

Huge fan of it. :9

How much have you been mixing in?

Baking Cocoa Powder

I found this on Amazon. 2lb of dark ‘Onyx’ cocoa powder (the same thing they use to make Oreo’s so dark) for about $32 shipped.

Between 20 and 30g. Enough to give it a hint of chocolate, but it’s no chocolate milkshake. (I like it that way!)

It’s actually got quite a bit of Potassium, Magnesium, and Niacin amongst other things. Be a little careful with it. I put 20g in my DIY and I’m looking to back down to 10 because 20g makes it almost too chocolatey and sweet. (That’s about two heaping tablespoons.)

This batch I made last night has 50g!

I think I’ll try half that tonight and see how it works out.

Correction:

I just realized, while mixing up tonight’s batch that I’m using Tsp. not Tbsp. So my numbers are three times bigger than they should be.

1 Tsp. = 0.3333 T

So adding 5 Tsp. would add:

• 16.5 calories
  • .416g fat
  • 108mg sodium
  • 5g carbs
  • 3.3g fiber
  • 1.65g protein
  • 16.5% iron

@casssax, i know its an old post but it showed up. While darker is considered healthy for chocolate, when it comes to cocoa powder its the reverse, lighter is considered healthier. I dont know about the taste though.

Any idea why one is considered healthier than the other?

I looked at the labels and the only difference I can see is that the ‘special dark’ has 65mg sodium/tsp where the regular has none. I’m adding two tsp. to a pitcher.

Since Soylent is low in sodium to begin with I don’t think this is a problem.

The only other difference I see is that the dark has cocoa processed with alkali and the regular does not.

Anyway, I’m only interested in the taste.

No citations to check anyway. Enjoy your chocolate Soylent.

Not with regard to sodium.

Natural cocoa powder has a light brown color and a pH level of 5.1 to 5.4. The processed (alkalized) cocoa powder is darker in color, ranging from brownish red to nearly black, with a pH from 6.8 to 8.1.

Cocoa powder is rich in flavonoids, a type of phenolic acid. The amount of flavonoids depends on the amount of processing and manufacturing the cocoa powder undergoes, but cocoa powder can contain up to 10% its weight in flavonoids. Natural cocoas are high in flavanols, but when the cocoa is processed with alkali, also known as Dutch processing or Dutching, the flavanols are substantially reduced.

By saying this i am not indirectly implying you should switch. Dark cocoa powder has still enough flavonoids than the average diet, so i guess its okay. I only posted it because its useful information for people interested in these things.